Sonam to skip Khoobsurat promotions in Pakistan

Published: September 14, 2014
Sonam’s forefathers are from Peshawar and mother’s side of the family hails from Karachi. PHOTO: FILE

MUMBAI: Prior work commitments will keep actor Sonam Kapoor away from the promotions of her forthcoming film Khoobsurat in Pakistan, the home country of her co-star Fawad Khan. She says, however, she would love to visit Pakistan sometime in future.

Despite her absence from the film’s promotions, Sonam plans to make her presence felt.

“I was going to Pakistan (earlier). But [now] I am recording a message and I am doing as many (interviews with) Pakistani media as I can to promote the film,” she said.

However, Sonam is very eager to visit Pakistan. “I really, really want to go. My forefathers are from Peshawar and my mom’s side of the family comes from Karachi. So there is so much of a connection… I am just a second generation Indian,” Sonam said.

Khoobsurat releases in Pakistan the same day as India — September 19. Directed by Shashanka Ghosh, the film also stars Kirron Kher and Ratna Pathak Shah.

Khoobsurat is a remake of the 1980’s Rekha starrer by the same name. Sonam will reprise the role of Rekha as a vivacious, free-spirited young girl whereas Fawad will essay the role of actor Rakesh Roshan from the original version. The film is to be set in a royal era so fans should expect to see Fawad in a regal look.

Prem Ratan Dhan Payo is Sooraj Barjatya’s film starring superstar Salman Khan in the lead.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 15th, 2014.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

• Parvez
    Sep 14, 2014 - 11:44PM

…so I’ll skip watching the movie…..who am I kidding, I never had any intention to watch it in the first place……am going to watch Finding Fanny….Dipeeka and Naseruddin Shah wow !

• Akhi
    Sep 15, 2014 - 12:18AM

Almost many of the most successful actors in Bollywood have roots in present-day Pakistan, SRK,Yusuf Khan,the Kapoors,the Bachans,the Dutts,the Khannas,the Roshans and many of the Sindhi actors in Bollywood like Tamanna Bhatia,Ranveer Singh,Aftab Shivdasani and many more

• Moiz Omar
    Sep 15, 2014 - 10:47AM

I don’t think most Pakistanis care that much.Recommend

• Gp65
    Sep 15, 2014 - 12:25PM

@Parvez:
    No mention of Dimple?

• Shakil Khan
    Sep 15, 2014 - 1:57PM

It shows Pakistani soul has talent, Indians knows how to use this talent!

• Parvez
    Sep 15, 2014 - 3:58PM

@Gp65: Saw Dimple for the first time in Bobby and that too in Durban when the apartheid tamasha was in force and she was brilliant…..OK, sorry for not mentioning her but with Deepika around you should cut me some slack.Recommend

• Parvez
    Sep 17, 2014 - 11:10AM

Saw ‘ Finding Fanny ‘…………just so-so…..expected better.

• Usman Khalid
    Sep 17, 2014 - 7:11PM

Me thinks this is due to disregard for the Pakistani market and fans, not because of “prior commitments” miss kapoor! Not the first time and doesn’t really matter. Although it does clear out the farce on the whole “co production mantra”.. But I can understand, given you’d be given death threats from extremist Hindu parties back in Mumbai should you even dare to think of coming to Pakistan. Wise decision in that case, especially since we are least bothered!

• Asif Khan
    Sep 21, 2014 - 7:25PM

Very nice to know that Sonum Kappor’s ancestors are from Pakistan. She is a best actress and her father Anil Kapoor and Uncle Sanjay Kapoor are my favorite. Best of luck Sonum.

More in Film