LAHORE: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has compensated 2,158 victims of the Double Shah Scam so far.
NAB Chairman Justice (retd) Deedar Hussain Shah distributed cheques among some of the victims of the scam during a ceremony held at Chunba House in Lahore on Wednesday.
Sources said that out of the 46,000 who fell victim to the scam, NAB has compensated 2, 158 people.
NAB arrested Double Shah on April 12, 2007 in the Rs9,091 million scam, which affected a mammoth 46, 364 people.
The amounts cleared as compensation by the bureau ranged from Rs100,000 or less.
Express 24/7 correspondent Shiraz Hasnat said that those left to be compensated continue to protest, and are in contact with NAB.
Double Shah and his accomplices are still being held under NAB’s custody and court proceedings are currently underway. So far, NAB has been unable to recover the sum of the looted amount obtained during the scam.
A source claimed that NAB is awaiting a Rs7.5 billion plea bargain involving two of Double Shah’s accomplices, after which it hopes to provide compensation to the rest of the scam’s victims.
The NAB Chairman refused to speak to the media, citing that he was aware of the number of allegations being held against him, and clarified that his position did not allow him to comment on the proceedings of the case.