Airport attack jeopardises participation of foreign players

Omar told The Express Tribune that the attack on the airport has disrupted his plans, but is hopeful of a solution.


Our Correspondent June 09, 2014
Omar Associates won the much sought after Ramzan tournament last year. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: The audacious terrorist attack at Karachi’s old airport has dampened the chances of foreign players’ appearance in a local Twenty20 tournamenin Karachi  next month (July).

The patron of Omar Associates, Nadeem Omar, is keen on inviting former internationals -- New Zealand’s Jacob Oram and South Africa’s Herschelle Gibbs -- for the tournament in Karachi during the holy month of Ramzan.

“We had invited Oram and Gibbs, [and] we were in talks with Chris Gayle too but he is charging a big amount. With Oram and Gibbs we were negotiating a five match deal; their demand was $25,000 for the series at the Moin Khan Academy.”

Omar told The Express Tribune that the attack on the airport has disrupted his plans, but he is still hopeful of working something out.

“The unfortunate attack has hurt our efforts. But this is not the only impediment, we are still waiting for a favourable response from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).”

“If the situation settles in the next few days, we will approach the players again; I hope that the board back our plans too,” he added.

Omar Associates won the much sought after Ramzan tournament last year. They fielded a star-studded team which included pacer Mohammad Irfan, wicket-keeper Sarfaraz Ahmed and all-rounder Anwar Ali in a thrilling event final.

COMMENTS (1)

Last Word | 7 years ago | Reply

The international players before coming to Pakistan should undergo military training and provided with bullet proof jackets.

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read