TTP say they will not extend ceasefire, but will continue talks
Taliban spokesperson said that the dialogue process will continue with complete “sincerity and seriousness”.
TTP spokesperson Shahidullah Shahid. PHOTO: FILE
ISLAMABAD:
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Wednesday said that they would not be extending the ceasefire, the group's spokesperson Shahidullah Shahid said.
The reason for this, they claim, is the lack of progress from the government's side regarding the Taliban's demands.
The central council of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan will not be extending the ceasefire, the TTP spokesman said in a statement.
However, the Taliban spokesperson said that the dialogue process will continue with complete “sincerity and seriousness”.
“The TTP will not abstain from taking any steps if the government makes some progress,” he said in a detailed statement.
He said the TTP had showed “complete restraint and tolerance” over the ongoing operation during the negotiations, which he claimed had caused widespread losses to the Taliban.
The Taliban had earlier declared a month-long ceasefire on March 1, 2014, and later extended it for ten more days. The extended ceasefire expired on April 10, 2014.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Wednesday said that they would not be extending the ceasefire, the group's spokesperson Shahidullah Shahid said.
The reason for this, they claim, is the lack of progress from the government's side regarding the Taliban's demands.
The central council of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan will not be extending the ceasefire, the TTP spokesman said in a statement.
However, the Taliban spokesperson said that the dialogue process will continue with complete “sincerity and seriousness”.
“The TTP will not abstain from taking any steps if the government makes some progress,” he said in a detailed statement.
He said the TTP had showed “complete restraint and tolerance” over the ongoing operation during the negotiations, which he claimed had caused widespread losses to the Taliban.
The Taliban had earlier declared a month-long ceasefire on March 1, 2014, and later extended it for ten more days. The extended ceasefire expired on April 10, 2014.