How Indians see Pakistanis

Published: February 8, 2014

KARACHI: This is with reference to your editorial of February 6 titled “The wrong message”. I have met many Indians during my trips abroad and have found that most of them have been brainwashed into believing that all Pakistanis are terrorists. Invariably, after the first few minutes of friendly talk, when I tell them I’m from Karachi, they are shocked. They also believe that most Pakistanis are illiterate and too poor to be able to go for vacations to foreign lands.

Only if the Indian government allows Pakistanis to visit India without restriction will the mindset of the ordinary Indian change. But do our governments want Indians and Pakistanis to be friends?

Shakir Lakhani

Published in The Express Tribune, February 9th, 2014.

Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.

• Maria
    Feb 9, 2014 - 12:23AM

Frankly I don’t care what Indians do or don’t think about Pakistanis. I know my family may have the same misconceptions about Indians being poor, malnourished, short and dark skinned or whatever but does this matter? Whether the two people travel or not will not fix the Kashmir issue; The real issue is dealing with this bone of contention about giving Kashmiris the right to choose their destiny as mandated by UN resolutions.

• SAL
    Feb 9, 2014 - 12:54AM

I agree 100% with the author. I have experienced the same during my visits to different parts of India, and, also when I met Indian’s abroad. These innocent people are brain washed against Pakistan.

• SHB
    Feb 9, 2014 - 1:39AM

Please let the Indians believe, what they believe now.
    I do not want to waste my money by going to India.
    If you want to go, I have no objection. That is your choice.
    I would like to go to Middle East . Europe , USA or Canada.
    China to visit the Great Wall .
    Yes, India is our neighbor and foreign country to us but I have to be careful in spending my money

• ria
    Feb 9, 2014 - 1:52AM

first of all we never consider all pakistanis to be terrorists…. this writer himself is bluffing …. next pakistan’s literacy rate is 48% … so most of pakistanis are illiterate……that is correct ….both countries have more or less the same level of poverty around 1/3 rd by international definition….( let govt’s definition be kept aside)….. however india has a huge middle class that makes it an important market…..

• shah
    Feb 9, 2014 - 4:00AM

Indians are fast becoming an arrogant people.

• Feb 9, 2014 - 8:33AM

Dipak@Maria:
    Your ignorance about UN resolution is well known all over the world, It is Pakistan who refused plebiscite for Kashmiris. Learn Maria, learn.

• Nobody
    Feb 9, 2014 - 2:14PM

@shah:
    Correction, irrational and ignorant Indians living in a dream world are becoming arrogant. Rational and well informed Indians are usually pragmatic. I’ve not met any educated (stress on educated) Indians who are ignorant to the state of affairs or have delusions of grandeur. Labeling an entire country is not sensible; if you dislike it when people generalize Pakistanis, don’t do it to others.
    Cheers.

• Feb 9, 2014 - 3:13PM

The Indians are brainwashed by madrassa education, that is why they think majority of Pakistanis are their terrorist brothers. The author and the subject Indians were in the bar took alcohol drinks and quarreled.

• SHB
    Feb 9, 2014 - 10:26PM

@Maria:
    You are very right. Thanks for your comment

• SHB
    Feb 9, 2014 - 10:29PM

@Dipak:
    Shame on you. You are telling lie.
    It is India which is not giving the right for plebiscite to Kashmiris.
    I am from Kashmir and my forefathers were from Kashmir.

• Feb 10, 2014 - 4:05AM

Dipak@SHB:
    Unfortunately you and your forefathers do not know how to read UN
    Resolution. Pakistan refused the plebiscite for Kashmiris. You have been brainwashed well. You are definitely not capable of learning the facts. So no use of telling you to learn.

• someone
    Feb 10, 2014 - 6:39AM

@SHB:
    Have you read the UN resolution? Or Shimla Accord?

• SHB
    Feb 11, 2014 - 5:56AM

@Dipak:
    Thanks for writing your counter comment.
    You are showing arrogance in your comment by becoming judge and jury at the same time time . So it will be wastage of my time to convince you on this point.
    Remember time is money and also you do not have any decision making power for the Indian govt.

• observer
    Feb 11, 2014 - 4:30PM

Borders between India and Pakistan should open up. i.e. as in E.U. countries, America and Canada. The sooner this happens there will be more happier people in this subcontinent. Trade, travel, commerce, roads, flights, will improve, we look forward to this game changer. Open up and see the change, within years we ( both India and Pakistan ) will flourish. Let bygones be bygones let there be a fresh start.

• SHB
    Feb 11, 2014 - 6:53PM

@observer:
    First I would like to know who you are, Indian or Pakistani.?
    FYI , Border between USA and Canada is not open. You have to show your passport and go thru questioning. If the immigrant officer is not satisfied from your answers, you will have to go thru detail questioning and thorough research of your belongings.
    Also keep in mind, there is no political issue ( occupation of territory) between USA and Canada.
    Personally India is not worth my money to travel over there. Yes India is our neighbor but aforeign country. I do not want to waste my time and money going over there..
    Yes , once political issue of Kashmir is settled, I may change my opinion.

More in Letters