Treason trial: Special court tells Musharraf to appear on Feb 18

Lawyers guarantee Musharraf will appear in court on February 18 after he failed to show up today.

Web Desk February 07, 2014
Former president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf. PHOTO: AFP

RAWALPINDI/ ISLAMABAD: The special court on Friday allowed former president Pervez Musharraf to appear before the court on February 18 for the treason case hearing after his lawyers assured the bench of his attendance, Express News reported.

Since the start of the trial in December 2013, Musharraf has not appeared before the court. The special court - constituted to try him for treason - issued bailable arrest warrant against him on January 31 and he was due to appear today.

Musharraf’s lawyers, however, requested for a delay and guaranteed he will appear on February 18.

Earlier, the security forces had arrived at the Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology (AFIC) to take Musharraf to the special court.

During today's hearing at the National Library, Anwar Mansoor - senior counsel on Musharraf's legal team - said the special court wishes to bring Musharraf to court and indict him. Mansoor argued that it was necessary that Musharraf's requests challenging the formation of the special court are addressed before the former president is tried.

Musharraf faces treason charges under Article 6 for suspending, subverting and abrogating the Constitution, imposing an emergency in the country in November 2007 and detaining judges of the superior courts.

The 70-year-old retired general is currently hospitalised at AFIC in Rawalpindi. He was rushed to the AFIC and admitted there over a month ago, after he complained of chest pain en route to the court.

Security measures

Three possible routes were set out between the AFIC and the special court and at least 1,100 security personnel were on duty to ensure Musharraf’s security.

Large contingents of police and Rangers, including elite forces were standing guard at the National Library and AFIC as well as on parts of Airport Road, Murree Road, Express Highway and Mall Road.

The Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) also swept the area to check for explosives.

SC rejects Musharraf's request

On February 4, the former army chief had challenged the special court’s order regarding the issuance of a bailable warrant, along with its January 10 order on the applicability of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) in the Supreme Court.

The SC today dismissed Musharraf’s request against the arrest warrant.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS (69)

Ahmed Ali Khan | 6 years ago | Reply | Recommend

@Ajab Khan Baloch:

If every citizen is equal before the law then how come only 10% of the elite has all the wealth of the country and the rest 90% people hardly have enough to eat 2 square meals a day.

Ahmed Ali Khan | 6 years ago | Reply | Recommend

@Truth Told:

If the court address to the complaints of Musharraf counsel then he would have come and present in the court. He has come by himself to face the court but if he sees injustice is waiting for him and the judges of the court has only one purpose to convict Musharraf and put a handcuff to Musharraf and send him to the jail. Nawaz and one of the judge even gone together to see a place where they want to keep the convicted Musharraf as mentioned by Jasmin Manzoor a TV anchor.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story