Suo motu action: CJ issues 2-day deadline to police over Karachi rape

Top judge also issues notice to IGP Punjab over lack of progress in Lahore rape case.


Our Correspondent December 22, 2013
Top judge also issues notice to IGP Punjab over lack of progress in Lahore rape case. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD/ KARACHI:


Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani on Saturday took suo motu notice of media reports that a 12-year-old girl was raped by her neighbours in Karachi.


The chief justice called for a progress report on the FIR to be submitted by the inspector general of police in Sindh. “The report should be submitted within 48 hours,” Justice Jillani told the IGP Sindh.

Media reports stated that the girl was abducted after she had stepped out of her house following a power failure. The girl was later raped by her abductors.

Justice Jillani also took notice of the earlier rape of a minor in Lahore — a case in which no arrest has been made. The chief justice ordered that action be taken after a report published on Saturday in The Express Tribune stated that police have not identified or arrested the culprits despite the 100-day mark approaching today (Sunday).

The case had already been registered in the Human Rights Cell of the Supreme Court after the former chief justice took suo motu notice. Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif had formed a committee to probe the incident that took place on September 13.

After going through records and reports submitted by police in this case, Chief Justice Jillani ordered that the IGP Punjab appear in court on December 24.

Karachi rape suspects arrested

Investigators probing the gang rape of the 12-year-old girl from Abdul Shah Ghazi Goth have arrested the alleged rapists on Saturday.

Police rounded up half a dozen men from the neighbourhood but released them after interrogations. However, the three alleged culprits behind the incident were arrested.

“When the girl was admitted to Jinnah Hospital, we made the sketches of the culprits with her help,” said Station Investigation Officer (SIO) Pir Bukhsh Chandio.

“With the help of the sketches, we were able to trace and arrest the real rapists.”

The arrested men were identified as 53-year-old Haji Bashir Ahmed, 20-year-old-year Sultan Ahmed and 30-year-old Sher Mohammad.

The men lived in the same area and were familiar with the victim.

The officer said the girl has also identified the rapists.

“It is now clear that she was gang raped,” the officer explained.

The girl also recorded a statement before the police. “Before this incident, Sultan and Bashir had approached me many times but I always refused.”

She described the gruesome incident. “There was a power failure in the area. I went to Sultan’s shop to buy sweets when I was abducted by Bashir and Salman. They took me to their place nearby where the driver [Sher] also joined them. They beat me and raped me,” the statement said.

The police have arrested the alleged culprits and named them in the FIR. The suspects will be brought before a judge today (Sunday) for physical remand.

“We are also getting their DNA tests conducted to confirm the crime and make the case stronger,” said the officer. “We have investigated the case and will file the charge-sheet soon. It is now the turn of the court to punish them.”

The girl has been released from the hospital and shifted to her home. The family expressed its gratitude to the police and media. “We thought the culprits will not be arrested but we were wrong,” said the victim’s father.

“We appeal to the courts to punish them strictly or hang them publicly to avoid such incidents from taking place in the future.”

Published in The Express Tribune, December 22nd, 2013.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read