Man sent into custody for harassing girl on Facebook

Published: September 25, 2013
According to the FIA, the suspect has made fake accounts of females and then harassed them through “unsolicited, obnoxious and vulgar emails”. PHOTO: REUTERS

KARACHI: The man accused of harassing a girl through a fake Facebook account was remanded to the police on physical custody on Tuesday by a district and sessions court .

Syed Zaheer Ahmed Naqvi, a judicial magistrate in district central, remanded 25-year-old suspect, Azeem, for three days after he was produced before the court by the Federal Investigation Agency’s (FIA) Cyber Crime Circle (CCC).

Shahan Hafeez Khan, a duty officer at the CCC, said that Azeem was taken into custody for allegedly creating fake Facebook profiles of girls and harassing them through mobile phones.

“The fake account holder is in possession of objectionable text, vulgar pictures and inappropriate comments,” stated the 25-year-old girl in her complaint against the suspect.

The FIA team, led by sub-inspector Mehboob Ali Jokhio, had conducted a raid in Azizabad No. 2 and arrested Azeem on charges of harassing the girl through fake FB account on September 23, said Khan. The police also seized the suspect’s computer and mobile phone in order to make a strong case against him. “The suspect had uploaded morphed nude photos of the girl after making her fake account,” said Khan. “The police arrested him on charges of harassing and blackmailing the girl.”

A case, No. 17/19, under section 36 (Violation of privacy of information), 37 (Damage to information system, etc) of the Electronic Transaction Ordinance (ETO), 2002, read with section 419 (Punishment for cheating by personation) of the Pakistan Penal Code was registered against him at the (FIA) Cyber Crime Circle police station.

The FIA said that the suspect was defaming the girl by sharing her morphed photos after adding her family members and close friends on the fake account. The data obtained from the suspect’s mobile and computer proved that he was guilty, said Khan, adding that he also confessed to his involvement in the offence during investigation.

The court ordered the FIA to produce theaccused before the court on September 27.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 25th, 2013.

• Eman Ali
    Sep 25, 2013 - 9:38AM

Low life losers who have nothing better to do in life!

• AamAwam
    Sep 25, 2013 - 9:47AM

It is such a relief to see that actually action against a person committing a cybercrime is possible in Pakistan. however am not sure if the arrest was made possible because there was a law for it because there are several cases out there never dealt seriously earlier.

• fawad
    Sep 25, 2013 - 1:09PM

This is a big crime in Pakistan. And the one’s who do it, don’t even consider it as any crime. He should be given exemplary punishment.

• S
    Sep 25, 2013 - 2:04PM

I am very happy to read this news! now make him an example!

• citizen
    Sep 25, 2013 - 2:14PM

Commendable.He should be punished hard .

• Rizvi
    Sep 25, 2013 - 2:39PM

Wow, nice to see this is being treated as serious crime now.

• lily
    Sep 25, 2013 - 3:55PM

awesome news! while reading i was wondering if it’s actually frm paksitan-someone being punished for cybercrime-too good, it will deter others from doing so .Recommend

• ABC
    Sep 25, 2013 - 4:10PM

Unfortunately in Pakistan women are extremely unsafe and this extends out to cyber space as well. When I first opened my facebook account I was befriended by a girl who was also friends with many of my other friends on facebook. I talked to her and after a while this girl started asking me really weird and pointed question and eventually told me that she was actually a guy who was pretending to be a woman so he could be friends with girls. I removed him from my facebook and told all of my friends.
    Pakistani girls need to be really careful. We don’t really have the laws or means to protect them and the men don’t respect them.

• Aiysha
    Sep 25, 2013 - 9:19PM

Thank God, these matters are now under consideration of Pakistani government. Such people should be punished hard for setting an example to others like him.

• FAZ
    Sep 25, 2013 - 10:36PM

And who was the girl? Daughter of DIG? Should I expect Pakistani police to be so active otherwise?

• Safida Begum
    Sep 26, 2013 - 8:01AM

I was delighted to see and read this story. It makes me proud of our people in our country that they took this action. It encourages girls and women to speak about their problems, who are the victims of the cyber crimes….. I also want to share one of my experiences. When I opened FB account in 2009, I was not that much active but one day, I saw one of my colleagues had uploaded her pics that we had taken together on our field work. I liked them and uploaded few of mine too. Later, someone noticed that and in boxed me a threatening letter used very rude and harsh language that he will kill me. The ending was, “your killer”
    That was a disturbing moment for me and it took a while to overcome that emotional disturbance. However, that gave me a strength today to speak about it. Therefore, I request the FIA to explore more, research and give punishment to minimize the social cyber crimes.
    Safida Begum
    USA

• zille huma
    Sep 28, 2013 - 5:20PM

am so happy to read this. Actually i am also a victim of such crime…and my case is with FIA karachi,,,,am looking forward to hear the news that they have caught the culprits. please friends pray for me ….i will be gratefull….once i am through all this will tell you all my story…but in short , a lady actually used morphed pictures of my husband to break our relationship…

• Citizen Kane
    Oct 15, 2013 - 2:40PM

We should spend more time praying, fasting and zakating instead of facebooking.