LONDON: Manchester City have completed the signing of Spanish striker Alvaro Negredo from Sevilla, the club confirmed yesterday.
Negredo, 27, follows former teammate Jesus Navas to the Ethiad stadium for a reported initial fee of £16.4 million which could rise to £20 million with add-ons.
“City are delighted to announce the signing of Alvaro Negredo, who becomes the club’s third new recruit of the summer,” the club’s website announced.
The club are also close to securing another striker, Montenegro’s Stevan Jovetic, from Fiorentina, who had reached an agreement to sell Jovetic, 23, for £22.4 million.
Negredo, capped 14 times by Spain, said earlier this week, “I have spoken to Navas, he’s an important player in anyone’s squad and I’m very happy to be playing with him again.
“Manuel Pellegrini completely convinced me to join Manchester City. It’s a big club and a new challenge for me.”
His arrival follows those of Navas and Brazilian mid-fielder Fernandinho, who joined from Shakhtar Donetsk for around £30 million.
‘Pellegrini could rejoin City in Hong Kong’
City manager Pellegrini could rejoin the squad in Hong Kong on Tuesday, according to assistant manager Brian Kidd.
Pellegrini left City’s pre-season training camp in South Africa and returned to his homeland of Chile due to a personal issue, leaving Kidd in charge for Thursday’s 2-1 defeat in a pre-season friendly against AmaZula. However, Kidd is hopeful that Pellegrini will be back when they continue their tour in Asia.
“You want the boss here but he prepared the team well for this and [assistant manager] Reuben Cousillas and the coaches have been superb,” he said. “The attention to detail has been terrific.”
Published in The Express Tribune, July 20th, 2013.
Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ