Investigators remained clueless about the perpetrators of the bomb blast that killed President Zardari’s security chief, Bilal Sheikh, and three others on Wednesday. The police also couldn’t make much headway in identifying the suspected suicide bomber.
Crime Iinvestigation Department’s Anti-Extremist Cell Chief SSP Chaudhry Aslam said that the severed head found at the blast site means it was a suicide bomb. “So far we are clueless about the motive and the group involved.”
The investigators have sent the head and other body parts found from the blast site for DNA testing but were not very hopeful that it would lead to anything. “Even if the body parts are found to belong to one person, how would we able to determine his identity, ethnicity or nationality,” said Sindh police surgeon Dr Jalil Qadir.
Meanwhile, the doctors said that Sheikh’s left side was badly damaged in the blast. They, however, couldn’t properly conduct the autopsy owing to the presence of a large crowd. “Though he doesn’t seem to have any ball bearing wounds but it is probable he died due to them and not of shockwave as some reports have suggested,” the police surgeon explained.
The police have also approached the cellular companies for geo-fencing and are analysing the closed circuit cameras television footage. They further said that though Sheikh had a dispute with Lyari gangsters, suicide bombings was not their modus operandi.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 13th, 2013.