Frontier Region Peshawar: Clean-up operation concludes, security forces step back

Curfew lifted after six days, detained suspects released.


Our Correspondent July 09, 2013
The clean-up operation was launched in FR Peshawar after an attack on a Frontier Constabulary (FC) check post in Urmar last Wednesday. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

PESHAWAR: The clean-up operation by security forces in Sambi Khel, Murad Khel and Syed Ghulam areas of Frontier Region (FR) Peshawar concluded on Tuesday.

Consequently, the curfew – put in place shortly after the operation was launched last week on Thursday – was lifted and dozens arrested were also released.

Locals said they were finally able to leave their houses after six days, but the security forces had not withdrawn completely. Instead, they have set up a camp in Pakaha Nekay, a local shrine.

“At around 11 am, security forces lifted the curfew and withdrew from the villages. They have also released all suspects arrested from Bashi Khel, Smabi Khel and Murad Khel,” Malik Rehman, a local elder, told The Express Tribune.

He added houses of various elders who reportedly had links with militants were demolished during the operation. Hideouts of several suspected militant were also destroyed.

The clean-up operation was launched in FR Peshawar after an attack on a Frontier Constabulary (FC) check post in Urmar last Wednesday left six officials dead and seven injured. During the operation, security forces destroyed several caves being used by militants as hideouts as well.

Meanwhile, security forces also withdrew from Mattani Bypass and abandoned all their check posts along the road.

The forces had been deployed in the area following an attack at a convoy of the Pakistan Army which killed two soldiers in May.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 10th, 2013.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read