KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board interim chairman Najam Sethi convinced the International Cricket Council to give some relaxation to fast bowler Mohammad Amir who is serving a five-year ban on the spot-fixing.
As declared before his departure, Sethi raised the matter with the governing body at its annual conference held in London last week. The PCB chief’s plea got a positive response as the ICC, after hearing the request, formed a committee to review the existing ICC Anti-Corruption Code that includes minimum punishment of five years for an offender of match-fixing or spot-fixing.
“The ICC has formed a five-member committee,” PCB spokesperson Nadeem Sarwar confirmed to The Express Tribune.
“It will review the code and will recommend amendments in it. It will also hear recommendations from the PCB and will then give its suggestions on the ban against Amir.”
It has been learnt that the 21-year old Amir will unlikely get the period of his ban reduced, but may get some concession to make a powerful comeback after his ban expires on September 2, 2015.
“Honestly, the outcome remains unseen,” said another board official close to the matter.
“But we are hoping that Amir will be allowed to use PCB’s facilities a few months before he becomes eligible for selection.”
While Sethi raised the matter of Amir, no request was made for former captain Salman Butt who also finally confessed to the spot-fixing offence last week.
“There is no sympathy for Butt or Asif, like Amir within the PCB,” said the official.
“Butt was too late to confess and didn’t follow the ICC’s conditions completely after the ban, although he has showed consent to take part in the rehabilitation process.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 2nd, 2013.