A state-run boys school was destroyed when explosives planted in the building by unidentified militants detonated in Karbogha Sharif on Thursday.
Doaba police official Aleem Khan said at around 3am, a loud explosion was heard from the nearby Karbogha village. Two hours later, when the police reached the spot, they found two classrooms of Government Primary School for Boys No 1 had been reduced to rubble by two bombs planted inside. According to the bomb disposal squad, the explosive devices weighed four kilogrammes each.
Aleem Khan said the watchman of the school was sleeping in his house nearby at the time of the incident.
The last school destroyed in Hangu was on April 26 when militants bombed a boys school in Khwaja Muhammad on the outskirts of the city. Since the first such attack on June 21, 2011, at least 12 schools have been targeted, with no militant group claiming responsibility.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 21st, 2013.