MQM activist, retired principal among seven dead in the city

The citywide incidents also left at least eight people injured.

Our Correspondent June 11, 2013

HYDERABAD: Four people, including a worker of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and a retired school principal, were killed on Tuesday.

Four unidentified assailants shot dead 35-year old Uhad Nawaz alias Munna, a MQM worker, and injured Muhammad Ibrahim, 46, and 29-year old Aqeel Ahmed in Latifabad unit 10. B Section police SHO Riaz Memon said that Munna and his friends were attacked outside their home in Sitara Colony. “The killers came to Munna and asked about his elder brother Rab Nawaz before leaving. They returned after a few minutes and sprayed them with bullets.”

The markets were closed in Latifabad No. 5, 6, 10 and 11 in reaction to the killing. The funeral of the slain activist was attended by the Hyderabad Zone in-charge, Muhammad Sharif, and other office bearers.

A body of retired school professor was found from his house in Jumani village within SITE police station limits. SHO Jendal Shah said that Ali Muhammad Shoro’s hands and legs were tied with ropes while his body bore torture marks. The police said that the victim’s family could be behind the murder but investigation is still underway.

A petrol pump security guard was shot dead outside a bank on Risala Road. The police said that Saood Ahmed Behari, 42, had accompanied the pump manager, Muhammad Khan, to deposit money when three robbers tried to snatch the cash. SHO Tariq Qureshi said that the robbers shot the guard in the neck, abdomen and chest after the manager managed to slip inside the bank. Behari succumbed to his injuries on his way to the hospital. Khan later told the police that they were carrying Rs1.5million.

A man was killed and his two sons were injured over a personal enmity in Rehman Town. Pinyari police SHO Rana Pervez said that Arshad alias Dhobi opened fire on Muhammd Younis Arain, 45, Awais Arain and Ahsan Arain over a business dispute. The attack left Younis dead while Awais was said to be in a critical condition after being shot in the head. Pervez said that the police has arrested Arshad’s father to know about his whereabouts.

A truck ran over a rickshaw and hit a passerby near the central jail, leaving two people dead and four injured. The deceased were identified as 28-year old Arshad Junejo, a resident of Qasimabad, and Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi, a resident of Larkana district, while the injured included Sudheer Ahmed and his son Tanveer and two brothers Imran Muhammad and Irfan Muhammad. The Baldia police impounded the truck but the driver managed to escape.

Meanwhile, an acid attack victim succumbed to her injuries three weeks after being allegedly attacked by her husband. Maryam Maseeh, 22, was a resident of Sikandarabad and was getting treatment at the Taluka Hospital, Kotri, Jamshoro. Kotri police SHO Pir Baksh Khaskheli said that a case has been registered against Jamshed Maseeh, the victim’s husband, by Sabir Maseeh, an uncle of the deceased. The suspect, however, lives in Karachi and has not been arrested as yet.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 12th, 2013.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read