This delicious concoction of meat and spices is a favourite across the subcontinent.
Surprisingly quick and easy to make, Chicken Karahi is a staple at every gathering, be it a simple or extravagant affair. Check out this recipe for homemade Chicken Karahi. I guarantee it will be a treat to your taste buds!
Chicken 1 kg
Cumin seeds (zeera) ½ to ¾ tsp
Handful of green chillies (slit with seeds removed)
Red chilli powder
Salt (to taste)
Ginger (sliced into 1 ½ inch long pieces)
Oil ¼ cup
• Heat some oil and the flame when done.
• Add the cumin seeds and ginger and fry.
• Place back on the stove and add chicken and half of the tomatoes.
• Cook over low heat until the gravy becomes dry and the chicken is tender.
• Add the green chillies and remaining tomatoes.
• In a separate pan, prepare the bhagaar by heating oil and frying some cumin seeds in it at low heat.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and limes.
• Boil the chicken with garlic and ginger then fry in a little oil. Add the tomatoes and allow the mixture to cook before removing it from the pan.
• Fry the green chillies and cumin seeds with some red chilli powder and salt.
• Pour this mixture over the chicken and continue frying for some time.
• Serve with lemon.
Zeenat Iqbal is a stay-at-home mother of three. In her free time, she enjoys devising new recipes and writing short stories for children
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, June 2nd, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook, follow @TribmagMsT on Twitter for your dose of girl talk.