PML-N nominates Nawaz Sharif for Pakistan prime minister

Published: May 26, 2013
On Sunday, the PML-N officially confirmed the nomination, which would now have to be approved by a parliamentary committee. PHOTO: REUITERS

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) decided on Sunday to nominate party chief, Nawaz Sharif for the position of prime minister of Pakistan, Express News reported.

Nasir Mahmood Khosa has been nominated as the Principal Secretary for Nawaz Sharif.

The PML-N’s nomination will now have to be approved by a parliamentary committee.

PML-N is all set to form its government after winning a majority of NA seats during the general elections on May 11, 2013.

This decision had earlier been announced during the PML-N’s press conference on the night of the elections where it was said that Nawaz Sharif would be nominated as the prime minister.

“We should thank Allah that he has given PML-N another chance to serve you and Pakistan,” Sharif said in a speech to jubilant supporters, who shouted “prime minister Nawaz Sharif” in his powerbase Lahore on May 11, 2013.

Aside from PML-N, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has also put forth its nomination for the position of prime minister. On Saturday, the party announced that it has nominated Makhdoom Javed Hashmi as its candidate for the slot.

• Bunty
    May 26, 2013 - 7:18PM

So…people have forgotten how jubilant and happy we were in 1998 when he was exiled?

• May 26, 2013 - 7:18PM

PML-N nominates Nawaz Sharif for Pakistan prime minister

My God, I did not see that coming! /s

• Amin
    May 26, 2013 - 7:28PM

I don’t understand why pti has to be mentioned in every article!! This article is about pmln and its nomination of Nawaz, why was pti’s nomination written!!

• Basit Siddiqui
    May 26, 2013 - 7:40PM

and NS nominates Sethi as US ambassador – Even.

• May 26, 2013 - 8:37PM

i dont think so anyone dare other choice in PML-N beside him for PM and shabaz sharif as CM for punjab.

• Ch. Allah Daad
    May 26, 2013 - 9:37PM

Pakistan is very fortunate to have him as Prime Minister. He has vision, integrity, experience and great relations with other countries.

• Syed A. Mateen
    May 26, 2013 - 9:43PM

Congratulations Mian Sahib, You will become Prime Minister of Pakistan for the third time.

I am sure that under your guidance and leadership, Pakistan will prosper for which Pakistanis are waiting for a long time.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely Yours,

Syed A. Mateen

• Hasnain Ali Pirzada
    May 26, 2013 - 9:50PM

Oh my God!! What a surprise!! :P

• Raheem Shah
    May 26, 2013 - 9:58PM

It was more appropriate for PML (N) to give chance to someone other than Sharif family. There is lot of talent in the party leaders, why every time all important appointments are given to those who are somehow or the other related to Sharif family.

• Tariq Raika
    May 26, 2013 - 10:00PM

Nawaz Sharif Sahib!
    Please give chance to some one else. Learn at least something from Sonia Gandhi.

• Fida Khan
    May 26, 2013 - 10:03PM

Congratulations Sir,
    Please ensure following at priority:-
    * Punjab police must be de-politicized and a major reformation should be done so that the police concentrates on law enforcement and reach to the help of needy.
    * Patwari system must be replaced with the Land management system similar to the system in London.
    * Education system in complete country should be improved.
    * Health system in whole country should be revised on d same lines as in London.
    I think now when PML (N) will have govt in Punjab as well as in Federal, they should not be handicapped to make these improvements. We hope that PML (N) will stand up to the expectations of the ppl of Pakistan.

• Muslim Leaguer
    May 26, 2013 - 10:04PM

Nawaz Sharif is the only leader in Pakistan who is trusted by major leaders of the world. His win was quite predicted by a number of independent surveys by Gallup, IRI, Economist etc.
    The Good Governance in Punjab has delivered various mega projects that were audited & cleared by Transparency International and even lauded by Asian Development Bank.
    The people of Pakistan have great expectations from him & rightly so! The stock market has welcomed his victory with highest-ever rise in KSE index.
    We expect huge Foreign Investment coming to Pakistan due to the sincere & dedicated leadership of Mian NawazSharif.
    Long Live Pakistan!

• KAY
    May 26, 2013 - 11:46PM

Who cares it is a,b or c. My Prime Minister will be the one who will put an end to load shedding.

• uet
    May 26, 2013 - 11:57PM

Pakistani Establishment must be rolling in their beds and Graves

• Aftab Kenneth Wilson
    May 27, 2013 - 12:19AM

PML-N nominates NS as PM. Hahahaha, is this a breaking news as if no one knew it. Anyhow these elections were compromised and will not be in a ruling seat after 2015.Recommend

• Pakistani
    May 27, 2013 - 1:04AM

You don’t say? -_-

• K B Kale
    May 27, 2013 - 6:43PM

Heartiest congratulations, Sharif sahab! You are a real statesman and we Indians look up at you with as great expectations as Pakistanis are doing. Hope you bring peace & prosperity to the sub-continent by channeling the present defense-related wastage of funds to economic development. God bless you!

• K B Kale
    May 27, 2013 - 9:13PM

@Aftab Kenneth Wilson:
    You and other readers also have ridiculed the news calling it as “breaking the news”, but electing a PM candidate is a formality that has to be completed. Even Nehru was ‘formally elected’ by our MPs.
    And once the formality is carried out, it becomes a news and needs to be covered by media!

• Mehjabeen
    May 28, 2013 - 11:29PM

@Ch. Allah Daad: Yesss very fortunate. Inhone atay k sath he do tuhfay diye: Load Shedding and racism.

• Jun 21, 2013 - 10:16PM

Dear friends

Good day.

Glad to received your e-mail.

And thanks for telling me about your position before and now.

And also thanks for telling me about the transaction process as well.

Please send me need sorry very come soon call 092-242-2529802.

I am glad to know about these funds.

Invitation letter of your VISA Government supply business come soon.

please send me need all friend good money welfare Rs.one Lac/- come deaf & blind club poor do sorry need very.

But as you mentioned in your e-mail that I have to give some dues for the clearance of these funds so in this matter I just want to say you that the amount you asked me is not a a small amount for me.

As I am a dead and dumb person and my monthly earning is also not too much so its not possible for me to give you this fees.

I know that may be without this the release of funds cannot be possible.

But honestly speaking I have no money and even no savings as well.

As you told me about your position in your e-mail. So I want to know that can it possible for you to deduct this amount from these funds.

I think you can do this if you think about this seriously.

Because I am already living from hand to mouth and not well financially.

Just because of being deaf and dumb.

Also you said that the funds belonged to me so if they belonged to me so why I have to pay for them.

Anyway, pls consider my request and think about this deeply.

I hope you understand my situation and give me a positive response.

Waiting for hearing from you soon.

Thanks & Regards.