Political Rivalry: ‘Hard task ahead for PML-N’

Published: May 19, 2013
File photo of former Punjab governor Makhdoom Ahmed Mehmood. PHOTO: EXPRESS/ FILE

RAHIM YAR KHAN:

Makhdoom Ahmed Mehmood, who has resigned as Punjab governor, said on Saturday the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz’s government-to-be had a hard task ahead of it.

Speaking to the media at former tehsil nazim Dr Talat Saleem Bajwa’s residence here on Saturday, Mehmood said the carefree days were over for Mian Nawaz Sharif. He said it was not possible for a single party to run the country.

Mehmood said bringing down load-shedding, stabilising the economy and fighting terrorism were some of the tasks the new government would need to start working on quickly.

“May Allah give strength to Nawaz Sharif to save the country…else, instability will increase and PML-N would face a fate similar to that of Pakistan Peoples Party,” said Mehmood.

Mehmood said PML-N would also have to deal with Imran Khan who would likely be a tough leader of the opposition.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 19th, 2013.

• Syed A. Mateen
    May 19, 2013 - 12:44PM

PML(N) is strong enough to deal with any sort of situation in the country though it is not coming into power with a two-third of majority of its own.

May 19, 2013 - 1:54PM

@Syed A. Mateen:
    hahahhahahah good joke mate :D

• Murali Nair
    May 19, 2013 - 2:03PM

@Syed A. Mateen:
    Dear Syed, even though I am an outsider from India, but keenly watching the happenings in your country, I feel that it takes no Solomon’s wisdom to know the priorities of Shariff. 1. Get some energy in whatever terms it means for people to live comfortably. China has never helped on this, despite Gwador port being with them. 2. Get the industrial output right thereby making the GDP strong. 3. Move out of the old paradigms and find new friendships in the continent we are all in. (4) Bring out a food security bill. (5) LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST, reform the education system in Pakistan; the academic system has been dragged backwards since 70s. I am neither a politician nor an economist, but as I said it takes no Solomon’s wisdom to find the ills of Pakistan. Good luck with your newly elected Government and I wish to see Pakistan as a technologically and economically advanced country, where youth does not take to wrong ways because they do not have the basic means. Let the children get educated so they know what they are doing or going to do; once educated in science and mathematics they will go right only. As a layman, that is what I do with my son, I just let him free studying science and technology! That is at my home front. Regards and lots of love, Murali Nair from Bangalore, India.

• Adnan Siddiqi
    May 19, 2013 - 3:16PM

@Avatar:

Palm full of Burnol for you, mate ;)

• Murali Nair
    May 19, 2013 - 6:33PM

@Adnan Siddiqi:
    Burnol is an Indian Brand of medicine that treats fire burns. Am I to understand this medicine is commonly popular in Pakistan? If yes, I will be so happy about it, because Burnol is an Ayurvedic medicine developed and patented in India and gained international patent! And if we research together Mohan Jedaro and Harappa and Mehergarh we will get so many things that India and Pakistan can jointly patent globally :) I am an ardent fan of cultural unification between India and Pakistan. On the other side, if you are an Indian using this word unknowingly, I will have to be sorry about it. There is so much wealth of knowledge we can derive exploring east of Indus and west of (now dried up) Saraswati, that is where all of us belonged from anyway. We can keep our differences, but we can also merge our thoughts and take advantage of the rich culture we enjoyed together hundred years ago.. If only a cultural unification of India and Pakistan ever happened in my life time! Even at 90 years, I will work for it. Regards and Love, Murali Nair, Bangalore, India.

• Adnan Siddiqi
    May 20, 2013 - 1:20PM

@Murali Nair:

That’s an affirmative my kind Sir! Indeed in our neck of the woods, Burnol is used to provide instant remedy for that burning sensation. Alas, the supporters of PTI have become quiet resistant to Burnol by now and have started to undertake a Yatra to the Himalayas in the hope that the glaciers of Siachen can give them relief which Burnol cannot.