India ready for unconditional talks: Krishna

Published: September 26, 2010
Qureshi terms Kashmir a ‘festering sore of South Asia’

Qureshi terms Kashmir a ‘festering sore of South Asia’

Brushing aside the recent stepped-up rhetoric from Pakistan, India on Friday said it was ready to discuss all issues with Islamabad, including Kashmir. “Everything that they want to discuss and everything we want to discuss with them will be discussed” during Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi’s possible visit to India for talks, India’s External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said here.

According to the Hindustan Times, Krishna was reacting to questions on the recent statement by the Foreign Office that there can be no result-oriented discussions with India on Kashmir unless it stops treating it as its integral part and Qureshi’s remarks seeking US intervention on the issue.

Krishna, who is here for the UN General Assembly session, said he looked forward to playing host to Qureshi in India. “Well, I was in Islamabad and we did talk and I have invited Shah Mahmood Qureshi to come to India and he has very graciously accepted my invitation,” Krishna said. “I am looking forward to hosting him in Delhi … the dates have to be worked out.”

Qureshi, who is also here, raised the Kashmir issue several times during the past few days, calling for international intervention. Addressing a small gathering at the Asia Society, the foreign minister described Kashmir as a “festering sore of South Asia”.

“The United States, as the world leader, has special responsibility towards finding a just and peaceful solution for Kashmir,” Qureshi said.

However, later in the day, Qureshi appeared to tone down, noting that the US could play a “facilitating role”. “I know India is allergic to third party intervention,” he said. “They (US) can play a facilitating role but ultimately … we have to see what the Kashmiris want,” he said.

Rebuffing the attempt to involve the international community in resolving the Kashmir issue, India has categorically said there is “no scope” of third party mediation on Kashmir which is an integral part of India, reported the Hindustan Times.

Krishna, however, underlined that despite these recent remarks by the country, talks would continue. “India wants to keep Pakistan engaged in talks because we do not see any other alternatives … talks are the only way to take this forward,” the Indian minister said.

“I think India has already reacted to whatever the foreign minister has said and I do not have to repeat it…” he said in response to a question.

At this stage, Indian diplomats have not confirmed any bilateral meeting between the two ministers here on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session, but a senior diplomat from Pakistan claimed that a meeting had been cleared by both ministries and was expected to take place early next week.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 26th, 2010.

• Saddique
    Sep 26, 2010 - 1:59PM

Just time passsing tactics. Recommend

• Syed A. Mateen
    Sep 26, 2010 - 9:33PM

For the last 64 years India has been discussing conditional and un-conditional issues with Pakistan.

In my opinion, it is better to ask the Indian High Commissioner in Pakistan to go back home, as Pakistanis are not keen on having diplomatic relations with India.

Most of the people from second generation have already passed from this world. The third generation does not care if their relatives live in India or not. Neither India has that much potential where Pakistanis should go for sight seeing.

• romm
    Sep 27, 2010 - 3:04AM

We need to disengage from Western borders and engage on eastern and north eastern borders. Experience is that Indians should be kept busy otherwise we shall remain busy in FATA and Balochistan. Talks r shere wastage of time.Recommend

• Tony Singh
    Sep 28, 2010 - 12:57PM

@Syed A Maleen. How true. The feeling is mutual. We in India too feel that there is no point in having anything to do with Pakistan. The high commissioner should be sent packing to Pakistan in the first instance without much ado and delay.
    @romm Yes the Pakistani troops should be kept busy, or they might plan another coup!!!!!Recommend

• Romm
    Sep 29, 2010 - 8:43PM

Yes, Coup in Common Wealth Games! Won’t That be Judicious Coup Rather Fun? INDIA…., INCREDIBLE INDIA……… See how Vulnerable you Are…… So resolve all outstanding issues with Pakistan if u really intend competing The People’s Republic of China.Recommend

• Tony Singh
    Sep 30, 2010 - 2:49PM

@romm At least we r not begging anyone for alms. Yesteday US was ur best ally. Today it is China. First US had u as slaves now China is ur new master. At least we in India think independently and think big. Pakistan does not figure very high in our quest to achieve greatness. That we will achieve inspite of ur putting the spanner in our work.
    You remind me of a story wherein a person is granted three wishes with condition that his neighbour will get twice as much. And these were his wishes
    1. Chop my one arm
    2. Chop my one leg
    3. Dig one deep well in front of my enterance door.
    You are like the person in the story. You do not have any aspirations nor would you like your neighbour to prosper.Recommend

• Romm
    Oct 1, 2010 - 12:54AM

I am talking about India and Pakistan. And u have started talking about me. It speaks ur shallowness. By the way half of world beggars live alone on footpaths of Calcutta Alone. I mean to say u need to think about those poors first than talking about Utopian India.Recommend

• romm
    Oct 1, 2010 - 11:04AM

Ayodhia: Allahabad High Court Ruling! Final Nail into the Coffin of United India. I am Surprised that judges of Indian Superior Judiciary took into account the Mythical story of Ram’s Birth Place! I am Secular and when young, I always Fancied the Propagated Indian Secular state but now I am of the strong belief that Indian Political as well as state Intelligencia is full of Venom against Muslims due to their thousands of years of Deprivation. Sanghay Gandhi whose mother Desecareted the Holy site of Golden temple, even went to the extent of forced Sterilization of Muslim women.Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 1, 2010 - 2:20PM

Ha Ha Ha …… “Main To Wahi Khilona Loonga, Rooth Gaya Munna Ka Lall” .. !!!
    Khilona (Kashmir) Nahin Doge To Baat Nahin Karoonga …. Teri Meri Katti..???Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 1, 2010 - 3:22PM

Mr Romm,

Sir, you question ‘Mythical Stories’ about ‘Ram’. Realize faith is one’s own feelings? What about if I start describing mythical stories in ‘Islam’ … ??

Remember Allama’s words “Majahab Nahin Sikhata Aapas Main Bair Rakhna”. If you are secular as you claim than don’t bring faiths in ugly discussions. Otherwise, few more secularists like you after reading the posts may even burn the Office of Tribune. At least, I do not want to lose such beautiful medium of interaction.

For secularism, India doesn’t require a certificate from a religion based society. Gen. Zia’s curriculum has left no sense in you to understand the secularism and respect faiths. If you feel that the fanaticism which is destroying Pakistan itself, will work wonders or save you from hard facts please forget it. And mind it, nations are not poor even if citizens die of hunger. Nations are poor when they approach world with begging bowl. India may be poor (in your eyes only), but maintain its dignity which is recognized world over.

If you really interested understanding Indian secularism or Ayodhya issue please visit the blogs like http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/they-call-me-muslimRecommend

• romm
    Oct 1, 2010 - 4:10PM

Darling I am not Muslim by the way. Come out of Islamophobia.Recommend

• romm
    Oct 1, 2010 - 4:20PM

Israel And India are Synonyms: promised land: Promised Ayodhia.Recommend

• romm
    Oct 1, 2010 - 4:53PM

¤Defend and support¤Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 1, 2010 - 10:42PM

Ha Ha Ha…… saying sterlization of muslim women …. what do you mean? I have never been in Islamophobia. Islam is a beautiful religion? It is the people like you which make it bad? And a proxy …… hiding his identity and advocating hatered is worst than that. I am not sure what promised land and promised Ayodhia, and by whom, you are talking?Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 1, 2010 - 10:45PM

And by the way where I called you Muslim?

• romm
    Oct 2, 2010 - 4:40PM

U need to study modern history of India. Being Ill informed was one of the characteristics of Nazis. Type in Google what I said in last comments about sterilization by Sanjay Gandhi. Hope u know who Sanjay was?????? And why his widow supports hardliners BJP policies. Pls study Hard before entering into such Blogs. Don’t want to discourage u but want to motivate u through positive Counselling. Hope u won’t mind and come out of un-necessary prejudices.Recommend

• romm
    Oct 2, 2010 - 5:15PM

Also read forced Sterilization of muslim women of Turkman Gate Delhi. Hope this will suffice?????????Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 2, 2010 - 9:36PM

Mr. Romm,

Economic emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi in 70’s is the only blot on 63 years of Indian Independence. Mind it, the people of India have not spared her for those atrocities. What you want to say that such atrocities during emergency were against only Muslims is incorrect, exaggeration and far from truth. Only Hon’ble Zia-ul-Haq can teach you this. You have all the rights to quote even a single Muslim woman who was sterilized forcefully. However, your suggesting that emergency was targeted towards Muslims is foolish idea. The emergency was targeted against oppositions like Jan Sangh (now BJP) at that time. Your blocked mind will not allow you to understand that why her widow Menaka Gandhi is aligned to BJP. During emergency which you are referring, Sanjay Gandhi was flag bearer of Congress Party and not BJP. I humbly request you to please consult your own seniors having knowledge of history about emergency in India, before quoting it. I know you will disagree with me. Messages of animosity, ridicule, hatred, enmity etc just embolden the anti India clergy, the right wing media (majority of the electronic media) and the army’s quest to grab power in Pakistan. It serves no other purpose than to marginalize the ’saner’ voices and those within the civil dispensation that favour normalizing relations with India. Who preach downsizing of the army and reduction of ISI’s role and divorcing all kinds of indigenous jihads? Probably before quoting Sanjay Gandhi, you have forgotten the atrocities committed against the East Pakistanis by your own government during that period.

I know Tribune is permitting fare publication of comments and views. But please realize their limitations before entering into Tu Tu Main Main. As to my feeling the media in Pakistan is still not in a position to publish views of Indians the way you are expressing. Please provide some useful suggestions to move forward on talks.Recommend

• romm
    Oct 4, 2010 - 1:38PM

you are in pakistan Blog and expressing ur Blogs proportionally but still u r trying to pretend to be suffocated. Its funny and old indian way. First u tried to express ur ignorance about Sanjay’s acts but then wrote a complete article in his support. I say again, Type Sanjay Gandhi in Google or any other Search engine and see his Crime against Humanity. I personally condemn atrocities against East pakistanis and I don’t defend the acts of Pakistani forces in East Pakistan and this is the difference between Pakistani and Indian Mentality. Ur morals standing is too law as a nation. May be its due to past deprivation ,Recommend

• romm
    Oct 4, 2010 - 2:05PM

I Hope Wikipedia is Credible site? By the way, being Nationalistic pakistani, I am happy wid the decision of Allahabad High Court. If u r intelligent, I am sure u can understand, what I mean To say?????? As far, suggestion for talks, I reiterate my previous stance, we need and will make indians busy when US leaves Afghanistan. As far getting aid from US, we know the Art of milking Americans and we r milking them since ages. As far, being Enslaved by Americans, see how they are begging us for closure of Supply to Afghanistan.Recommend

• SKChadha
    Oct 4, 2010 - 9:06PM

Romm Sahib – Where I have defended the atrocities of emergency or unconstitutional powers yielded by Sanjay Gandhi during that period? I don’t require quotation either from Wikipedia or Wikileaks on this count? You are right, as to Allahabad High Court judgment, I am unable to comment on findings. The judges have considered all evidences before the court. The judgment itself runs in over 8000 pages. Neither I have time nor inclination go into those details. I don’t know what will happen to Pakistan, by the time Americans and NATO forces will leave the area ….???

And milking America …. !!! With lives of fellow citizens..! No, it is not milking it is paying heavy price ..! Oh by the way, I forget that you do not have any value for your own citizens being killed on regular basis… Ha Ha Ha. I list few of the prices which you paid, for milk (of course in our terminology it is narcotics to get intoxicated in false pride):

Saudi milk for groups like Laskar-e Jhangavi, Sipah-e Sahaba and Jaish-e Mohammad kill fellow citizens.
    US milk for loosing military pride while fighting against Taliban and Al Quaeda.
    US milk for ‘disappeared persons’ handed over to US and for which hearing is pending, pending and pending ……. in SC.
    Milk from unknown sources for which Mr. AQ Khan’s pride is sacrificed and fellow Muslims are put at risk of nuclear fallout.
    Dr. Aafia was not abducted by Martians; she was abducted and handed over to US by your operatives, for MILK of course.

Rather than indulging in peace talks with India, the FM has probably busy in fetching more milk in lieu of direct NATO attacks … ???

Ho Ho Ha Ha Ho Ho …… Enjoy man..! No use of such Tu Tu Main Main, talk for peace.Recommend