The PTI candidate who wants to meet Imran Khan

Published: April 29, 2013
Fazlullah Shah. PHOTO: EXPRESS/ HYDER ALI

Fazlullah Shah. PHOTO: EXPRESS/ HYDER ALI

KARACHI: “I have never met Imran Khan in my life, but I am his supporter, his comrade, his party’s candidate. His ideology and manifesto, I am convinced, can save Pakistan. Just, please, could he meet me once? It will help motivate me in my struggle. And it will re-energise the people of Thatta,” says an earnest looking Fazlullah, a tad bit nervous as he talks to The Express Tribune.

The deteriorating situation of Thatta brought him to a point where he felt he must wage a fight, if nothing else. “The whole of Thatta is like the ruins of Thatta,” says this candidate of the NA 237 constituency. Fazlullah shares his sadness over how, in the wake of the devastating floods, normally self-sufficient people were forced to beg in the streets of Thatta, with no help in sight.

Like many Pakistanis who choose to stay back in Pakistan in this era of mayhem and do something to improve the status quo, Syed Fazlullah Shah, aka Nasir Shah, made a choice not to go abroad although he has visited Europe many times for business and had other options. “I can speak five languages, including German,” he says proudly.

To Fazlullah, solutions to the building frustration came in the form of all what the PTI manifesto offers. “I am no political analyst but I do know that PTI has a fair chance since political space has been generated because of the previous government’s dismal performance and the people being disillusioned,” he says, adding that PTI is a great attempt at stabilising and reviving Pakistan.

“The feudal and the powerful don’t have patent rights over this country! The average man can get up and take charge, like me,” he says.

In a community where power is passed on as a legacy and new faces are not welcome, especially those from non-political average backgrounds like Fazlullah, he has taken a big chance and invested everything into the election campaign. His direct opponents include Marvi Memon of PML-N, Syed Riaz Hussain Shah Shirazi (Shirazi group) and Sadiq Memon of PPP. Incidentally, President Zardari’s foster brother is contesting from the same area for a provincial assembly seat.

“My mother is old and was initially very concerned that I may land into trouble,” says Fazlullah, adding, “But even she has understood that for improving future of Pakistan, the common man has to stand up and support those leaders, like Imran Khan, who genuinely want to change this country for the better. Now, my mother’s prayers are with me.”

Published in The Express Tribune, April 29th, 2013.

• Falcon
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:17AM

Another inspirational candidate from PTI…somehow they never stop to amaze me

• AK
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:28AM

Looks like Tsunami fund is now big enough to spare something for ET as well, everyday something about PTI candidates is being published and nothing about any other party,, and by the look of things it will continue till 11th may ;)

• KH
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:31AM

Way to go man…!!

• Fazal
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:35AM

Would you like to meet at 8 PM?

PTI Chairman Mr. Imran Khan’s schedule for 29th April

-12 PM: New Muree Gulhera Gali
    -1:00 PM Chak Bailee Khan
    -2:30 PM Chakwal
    -3:30 PM: Talagang
    -5 PM: Attock
    -6:30PM: Taxila

• Adil Jan
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:38AM

Wish you God Speed. keep your hopes high

• Saman
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:44AM

Good luck!!!! May God be with you all the way. Thank you for making such an effort to try to save Pakistan – you make me proud.

• Moazzam Salim
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:50AM

Is this a PTI ad? good to see innovation in election campaigning and how media groups are now publishing advertisements in the garb of political comment!

• Usman
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:54AM

Dil kush kar dita sarkaro! We are with you bro, I’m on overseas Pakistani based in Melbourne. We will try our best to support you financially and morally. Don’t ever feel alone in your struggle, the whole PTI family is with you. Go forth and challenge the big names. Its now or never!

• Abbas
    Apr 29, 2013 - 9:55AM

Mashallaha………..
    Naya Pakistan with Imran Khan

• Hassaan
    Apr 29, 2013 - 10:00AM

“The feudal and the powerful don’t have patent rights over this country! The average man can get up and take charge, like me”. Statement of the day. May Allah reward you. You’ll win, insh’Allah.

• mkz
    Apr 29, 2013 - 10:03AM

Good luck! Wish you all the best

• Observer
    Apr 29, 2013 - 10:55AM

@AK:
    That is because PTI has candidates like him who are not part of the status-quo. 35% of the tickets for youth and about 80% new faces. Name any other party that has done that and then you’ll be making a valid point.

• True Karachiwala
    Apr 29, 2013 - 11:05AM

@Falcon: they have not been tested. Lets see after elections they amaze or raze you.

• Fahim Gul
    Apr 29, 2013 - 12:03PM

I have no doubt that you will do great at the election. You and PTI team has the invisible force of Allah behind you. Stay strong, honest and victory would yours.

• Muhammad Rohaan Sadiq
    Apr 29, 2013 - 12:13PM

@True Karachiwala:

You got to have right and positive attitude about things. If you think this way e.g. whether he is good or not, you are not going to get anywhere. In fact we don’t have any option but to to stick to his words. I believe he is good and he is going to change the fate of Karachi and Pakistan. I vouch for Imran Khan and PTI so please vote for BAT!

• Rana
    Apr 29, 2013 - 12:30PM

spot on “The feudal and the powerful don’t have patent rights over this country! The average man can get up and take charge, like me

• farheen
    Apr 29, 2013 - 1:29PM

Long live PTI and its supporters!

• True Karachiwala
    Apr 29, 2013 - 2:28PM

@Muhammad Rohaan Sadiq:your commitment is commendable ! but keeping in view the declared policy of PTI not to alliance with any major party (as these have been part of governments one way or the other) and the fact that coming parliamnet will most probably be a hung parliamnet, PTI has very lilited options to choose from in future.

If PTI sticks to its solo flight policy, then it will not have a great chance to implement its manifesto.

• ishrat salim
    Apr 29, 2013 - 2:41PM

What i do not understand is ? both the main political parties including PML Q has been tested more than once & we have seen the result, yet there are people who are prepared to vote them back again…on what ground ? why not give at least one chance to PTI ?…i can bet it will not be worse than what it is today !

• jiyala
    Apr 29, 2013 - 2:58PM

Good job ET for highlighting inspirational PTI workers.

• Azad Khan
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:02PM

It is good to see enthusiasm in every part of this country. I think the reason Imran Khan is receiving the trust of people is that he is not yet tested. Moreover the projects he has done in health and education there is free of SIFARISH and CORRUPTION. Therefore he must be given a chance at least once. However I suggest that Imran Khan should come to Karachi and interior of sindh to give a boost to the election campaign of PTI candidates in this region. He should also make seat adjustment with JI in at least karachi to make it possible for the anti MQM vote to gather under one banner to defeat them. This way the anti MQM alliance can get at least 5-7 seats and then MQM will not be in a position to claim that they are the sole representatives of Karachi.

• Ahsan Jahangir
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:16PM

This truly is the beggining of Naya Pakistan. 80% of the PTI candidates have never been to the assemblies ever. IK and PTI critics should just go through the list of the candidates for both PP and NA. you will be surprised to see that most of them below 35-40 in age. Don’t criticise just for the sake of criticism. PTI may have some flaws but its the best shot we got. This effort is not just for PTI or for IK. Its for Pakistan. I want to save my country. And I dont see any other way of doing that. IK and PTI has given us hope in these crucial times. Don’t you think?

• Ajaz Ahmed
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:17PM

May the force be with you :)

We need more people like you!

Go go go.

• Liaqat Yousufzai
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:49PM

Good to see new faces from bourgeois background in politics.
    Keep your efforts up brother and PTI youth is with you

• True Karachiwala
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:50PM

@Azad Khan: Judges, journalists, mainstream politicians, nationalists, everyone, and you are obsessed with the “monopoly” of MQM
    Is “Naya Pakistan” by PTI not enough to make you happy ? But you can not digest the win of MQM. Amazing
    !

• Salman
    Apr 29, 2013 - 3:55PM

@ishrat salim:
    You stole my words. :)

• Arzoo
    Apr 29, 2013 - 6:35PM

@Azad Khan: Would have been a little educational if you would have explained your hate of MQM a little bit. MQM is apparently the choice of an overwhelming population of Karachiites. And, if that is the case what is your problem with it??? One may criticize MQM’s hard muscling of the past or their cult-like adoration of their leader, but Imran Khan is untested so far and we do not know what his reign will actually bring. And, then you are promoting JI which has contested elections for over half a century and cannot show a strength of more than 5 seats country-wide.

I myself believe that this time people should give PTI a chance for the mere reason that all other parties have been tried and failed miserably based on our present conditions of lawlessness and deprivation. And stories like this one about Fazlullah Shah are heart-warming and uplifting, in the sense that tickets to contest are being given by PTI to men of character, passion, and a desire to serve, rather than to the feudals and brown-nosers.

• Muhammad Rohaan Sadiq
    Apr 29, 2013 - 8:59PM

@True Karachiwala:

You see if they go solo they are in better position to implement their manifesto…I think his decision of no alliance with any party which has been part of the previous government is sensible. Yes, he is going to face tough times in karachi but if PTI’s seat adjustmen thing works out with JI then he has a good chance to implement PTI;s manifesto. I am from Karachi aswell and I don’t trust any of the so called “Karachi” based political parties now.. They have done enough damage to the city…now we need change!!!

• Syed Jallal Shah Bukhari
    Apr 30, 2013 - 12:41AM

Good job brother…!!
    We all the Pakistanis living here abraod wish you and our land all the best.
    I myself believe that this time people should give PTI a chance for the mere reason that all other parties have been tried and failed miserably based on our present conditions of lawlessness and deprivation. And stories like this one about Fazlullah Shah are heart-warming and uplifting, in the sense that tickets to contest are being given by PTI to men of character, passion, and a desire to serve.Recommend

• Syed Jallal Shah Bukhari
    Apr 30, 2013 - 12:44AM

BEST OF LUCK

• cricket man
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:32AM

you are a good honest man Fazlullah sahib. But you are wasting your time and money by doing this. Even if Imran Khan wins he will do what all his precedessors have done to this country. lead it to destruction.

• Umme Omar
    Apr 30, 2013 - 10:59PM

True Karachiwala and Arzoo

I am from Urdu speaking middle class family. Tell me one good thing MQM did for Karachi. A good friend of my husband recently visited Pakistan. First he went to Karachi and then Punjab. He told my husband, ‘life in Punjab is not really good but it still feels like a heaven compared to Karachi’. Recommend

• ifti
    May 11, 2013 - 5:15AM

pti is not just a political party…but a history in itself..You will see many having a craze like fondness for IK and a passion to change the current lot of Pakistanis….