This ultimate desi chicken masala recipe is simple to cook and rich in flavour.
The whole red chilies in the masala add a fiery touch to the gravy for those who love a dose of spices.
Boneless Chicken (handi cut) ½ kg
Cooking Oil 2 tbsp
Ginger and Garlic paste 1 tbsp
Whole Red Chilies 10
Tomatoes (sliced in rounds) 2
Water ½ cup
Red Chili Powder 1 tsp
White Cumin 1 tsp
Black Cumin 1 tsp
Ground Coriander 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder 1 tsp
Dried Fenugreek 1 ½ tsp
Chopped Green Coriander 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Dry Roast and Grind to Powder:
Whole Cardamom 1
Carom 1 tsp
Green Cardamom 2-4
Cinnamon Stick 1
• Heat oil in a pan and sauté whole red chilies with ginger and garlic paste.
• Add chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
• Mix in all the spices and adjust seasoning according to taste.
• Add tomatoes and water and cook till oil separates.
• Sprinkle fenugreek leaves and chopped coriander and heat for 2 minutes.
• Serve with garlic naan and sliced onions.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Serves 5 people
Shafia Agha works as a PR consultant and runs a food blog: gobblemywords.wordpress.com. She loves trying out new recipes. Follow her on facebook.com/GobbleMyWords and @shafiaagha
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, March 17th, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook for your dose of girl talk.