Clear soups are both mouthwateringly delicious and extremely healthy. They are easy to cook and you can play with the ingredients to create an array of flavours. A clear soup can be a great appetiser for a dinner, especially when you don’t want your guests to fill up on just soup and enjoy the other dishes as well.
Note: Shiitake mushrooms are the best mushrooms for soups and can usually be bought in dried form.
For the broth
Chicken 1/2 kg
A whole carrot
Half a cabbage
A whole spring onion
Whole black pepper 7-8
Salt 1-2 tsp
Garlic cloves 2-3
Water 4 glasses
Bean sprouts ½ can
Corn ½ can
Shiitake mushroom ½ cup
Flat rice noodles or normal flat egg noodles ¼ pack
• Soak the mushrooms in water till soft.
• In a deep pan, simmer all the broth ingredients for 30 to 45 minutes.
• Once the water becomes cloudy and the liquid has reduced to half the initial quantity, sieve and separate the broth from the rest of the ingredients.
• Pour the broth into the deep pan again.
• Add back the cabbage leaves and small cubes of shredded chicken to the broth. You can also fry the chicken pieces in a non-stick pan without oil before adding them to the broth.
• Dice half the carrot used in cooking the broth and add. (Optional)
• Add bean sprouts, Shiitake mushrooms and corn and let the broth simmer on low heat till all the flavours have fused together.
• Mix cooked noodles into the soup.
• Garnish with sliced spring onions and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves 4 people
Madiha Hamid is a digital media professional. She loves the food traditions unique to families. She is running a food blog for Pakistani and regional cuisines called cheflingtales.com
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, February 17th, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook for your dose of girl talk.