QUETTA/ KARACHI: Governor Sindh Dr Ishratul Ebad Khan called President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf late on Wednesday evening, appealing to them for ensuring provision of justice for the victims of the Baldia fatory fire, Express News reported.
The governor expressed concern over news that it had been decided to withdraw murder charges against the factory owners. He added that the case cannot be closed in such a manner.
The governor also directed Inspector General Police to speed up investigations in the matter.
Investigators had on January 13 decided to withdraw "intentional murder" charges against all nominated suspects, including the owners of the factory, Ali Enterprises due to lack of substantial evidence. The premier too had taken a personal interest in the case.
Anjuman Tajran Balochistan Quetta city president Nasir Tareen told APP on Wednesday that the Karachi administration had wrongly registered a case under section 302 against the owners of gutted factory prior to finding actual cause of the incident that left over 250 innocent workers killed.
They lauded Ashraf’s decision for taking personal interest in the matter and said the decision to withdraw the charge would greatly help restore the business community confidence and spur them towards investment in the country.
Investigation officer changed
Meanwhile, the investigation officer in the Baldia factory fire case has been changed, Express News reported.
However, DIG Jawed Alam Odho said that he was not aware of the change.
Investigation officer Jahanzeb Khan who was making inquiries into the case was on Wednesday transferred on the orders of high ranking police officers.
He has been replaced by Orangi Town DSP Zahid Hussain.
DIG Odho said that Jahanzaib Ali had submitted to the court the challan for the case.