Why I came back

Published: September 15, 2010
samad.khurram@tribune.com.pk

The writer graduated from Harvard University this spring and is now running Khushal Pakistan, an organisation to help the flood victims samad.khurram@tribune.com.pk

“But, why did you come back?” asked our guard as we off-roaded near Golial Bachaband to deliver relief goods to the flood affected people of Thatta district. As a worker of the PPP he was familiar with Harvard, the alma mater of Murtaza Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto. “Wasn’t life so much better there?” he asked, and continued “You have an opportunity, go and make your life. Why are you back in Pakistan? Nothing works in Pakistan; everyone is corrupt, incompetent and indifferent.”

I was in the process of replying, “I want to join politics, and do my part…”, when I got interrupted by the MPA from the area sitting in the front seat of his Vigo. “Beta, this is Pakistan” he advised supporting an unwelcoming sneer, “Politics here is dirty. You have no idea how difficult it has been for me to remain clean.”

Of the many villages, cities and camps I have visited over the past month, despair has eclipsed hopes and dreams. In Mingora, my guide told me that he came back to Pakistan because of a love interest. It didn’t work out and now he regrets his decision to return from England. “Please help me get out of here” he begged, “You came from America, you can find a way to get me there. Why did you come back? Did you return for a girl too?”

I replied: “I came back for my motherland. I have a few dreams, a few aspirations I want to work towards.” He replied: “The system will kill your dreams” he said, still in disbelief over my answer. “You will soon want out too.”

The ‘system’ is crippled, as I learned first-hand over the past month, but not beyond mending as is commonly believed. It is slow but work does get done. Overhaul is only possible through structural reforms initiated by those already in power. To facilitate change, one has to join politics or the civil service. The general tendency to not try to fix the ‘system’ while cursing it and the country in every breath is not helpful. Utopian dreams of massive, overnight structural changes through a “bloody revolution” are counter-productive. Pakistan needs a gradual evolution of the system by active civic engagement. One small step in this regard is to vote responsibly and put pressure on your elected representatives to work in the right direction.

There are many other questions that people keep on asking and answers to which I don’t have yet. How will I become politically active? How will I finance my campaign if I run for office? Will I join a political party? What can I realistically do even if I get elected?

Still there is something about our nation that keeps me hoping and dreaming. Most countries would have disappeared from the world had they gone through what Pakistan has been: multiple wars, massive natural disasters, martial laws and failed elected governments, terrorist attacks, huge insurgencies and what not. Yet this country has made it through against all odds. Mere survival is not satisfactory, though. We must work to make this nation, as Jinnah said, “one of the greatest nations of the world.” The only way for that is for honest, educated and competent people to join politics and become involved in addressing the pressing issues plaguing this country. That is exactly why I am back, to do my tiny bit for my country.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 15th, 2010.

• Ammar Nomani
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:20AM

Very nice Samad! We are proud of you. Wish we had more people like yourself, educated and far sighted in our politics.Recommend

• Sep 15, 2010 - 11:24AM

I second the people you interacted with, the system is corrupt beyond repair. If you’re clean, they would first try to corrupt you, and if you are persistent, they would then try to move you out of the way.

I believe we are past the stage where individuals can get into the system with hopes of changing it. Matrix won’t work here. Nothing short of a bloody revolution can do the trick.

Anyways, best of luck with your endeavors. Recommend

• Irum
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:37AM

A very good piece of writing. A think aloud session that is evolving in the mind of every Pakistani especially living out of the country. I myself have faced these questions and comments when I talk about returning to Pakistan. The open ended questions exposed are still open end to many of us, but the thought “Zara nam ho tu yeh mitti bohot zarkhaiz hay Saqi”, forces one to look back to homeland. “Still there is something about our nation that keeps me hoping and dreaming.”, rightly concluded. Besides, as the concluding remarks point out we need more honest and educated people in politics. Evolution has to start within by each one of us, instead of waiting for the change overnight by an outside force. Recommend

• Mohammad Rameezuddin
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:38AM

Pakistan needs more ppl like u. Recommend

• Sep 15, 2010 - 11:38AM

Samad, you have written down your thoughts very well and the words are quite inspirational. I left UAE 2 years back and after reading your article, the reason for coming back has become even more stronger for me.

Keep writing and keep up the good work.Recommend

• Munzir Naqvi
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:39AM

When I have informed others of my interests in Pakistan Politics, I get the same response you do. I have met many who also got the same response and they gave up on Pakistan Politics, just on hearsay. They may have a point, but someone has to solve the problem.

Albert Einstein solved E=MC^2, but many before him wanted to, but were discouraged because it seemed almost impossible because others did not do it before and others were discouraged by the amount of work, the probability of success, among other things. Why I admire the author is that this person has character, integrity and is charismatic, confident yet humble. Samad Khurram has ambitions for the betterment of the nation, we should be encouraging him and supporting him and providing him the resources to help him. If we can not do our part in a small step to clean up the system, no one else will. We the educated, have higher standards, and higher expectations.

It is easier to be corrupt when you surround yourselve with those who are the corrupt, we need to empower and encourage our educated society to stand up. Certainly we are not going to change every thing in an instant, such requires patience and wisdom. The first step is Hope. Samad Khurram did everything write, and most importantly he has not conceded to the political position of our “educated” elite. The only way change will come is when we start becoming optimistic about the future and when we work towards making Change probable. Recommend

• Sep 15, 2010 - 11:39AM

God bless you dear.we all are with you.Recommend

• Fatima
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:43AM

Samad,
    You are a credit to our generation. Your sentiments go to show that we aren’t an indifferent youth just looking to get out..
    I know you inspire people to follow through on their dreams, and the work Khushaal Pakistan is doing for the relief effort is remarkable!

Keep the dream alive.Recommend

• Hassan
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:43AM

I think Youth Ov The Pakistan Has A great Unbelievable Potential In themselves……………….We Need A person Like u…….and who supports u or not i will support u and from my view ov thinking u should come into politics…….we need young fresh and energetic people…!!Recommend

• Shoaib Akhtar
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:44AM

It’s great to have people like samad back home.. He’s mashaAllah doing great…but we all guys here in abroad need to reinforce our efforts envisioned at one agenda of helping these people out of this catastrophe..Pakistan ZindabadRecommend

• Khubaib Ahmed
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:44AM

A very well written piece.
    ” Pakistan needs a gradual evolution of the system by active civic engagement. One small step in this regard is to vote responsibly and put pressure on your elected representatives to work in the right direction.”
    This is what should be told to all those who are expecting an overnight revoultion that will eliminate all thier miseries. Give vote to someone who hasnot been tried otherwise this duo will take us to nowhere. we are too knackered of seeing this duo ruling the educated class of pakistan again and again, its time to bring a gradual change through our votes, thats a minimum a mediocre man in street like me can do!!Recommend

• Faizan Khan
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:46AM

First of all, Congratulations on graduating!!!

I welcome you to Pakistan. Like a lot of other Pakistani people, especially youth, I am impressed by your achievements so far and want to say “bravo”.

Indeed we need a person like you in a leadership position for our country and I hope you make it through the tough process. Lots of questions though…which party are you going to join??? I’m sure you have at least one thing to say to oppose every party operating in this country and that’s reasonable…but it sure will be difficult to form a party on your own…

But I just want to record my statement here, yes…the system is corrupt…but I don’t know how strong you are to survive it. I was not strong enough…I have been back from United States and have been jobless since my return…2 years and counting!!!Recommend

• Furkaan
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:55AM

Yeah, no doubt this is one of the greatest Nations of the world. The only thing we lack is to being honest to our work, job, duty etc. Samad, although your work is not being highlighted by much but you are doing tremendous Job , keep it up guy . You have full support of us .Recommend

• Syeda Azra Naqvi
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:58AM

What you have done requires gutts!!You inspire me!Recommend

• Alamdar
    Sep 15, 2010 - 12:15PM

Good stuff… and i think we should consider Pakistan as the Bravest Nation of the World for all the troubles it has been facing and yet still moving on and on … !!Recommend

• faiza assad
    Sep 15, 2010 - 1:00PM

Dear Samad, I am proud to be your cousin. Wish we had more people like you, educated and far sighted in our politics to make our PAKISTAN a better nation……..GOD BLESS YOU!Recommend

• majid sheikh
    Sep 15, 2010 - 1:08PM

I know you inspire people to follow through on their dreams and i think we should consider Pakistan as the Bravest Nation of the World for all the troubles it has been facing. They may have a point, but someone has to solve the problemRecommend

• Aamna
    Sep 15, 2010 - 2:18PM

Hats off!
    Best of luck!Recommend

• Ejaz Qureshi
    Sep 15, 2010 - 3:45PM

It’s people like you who stregthen the resolve of so many who opted for this country when they ‘d the option to settle abroad. I too opted to work in my country and have never regretted it. There are millions who love this country, care for their family, are talented and hardworking. It’s only the elite class who needs to change. We all have to work towards this change, through our personal conduct and not rhetorics.
    Keep up the good work and continue writing. You may change many lives and consequently the future of this country. God bless you.Recommend

• Hassaan
    Sep 15, 2010 - 3:58PM

You are doing a great job.All we need is people like you to come forward and help to bring a change.Recommend

• Al
    Sep 15, 2010 - 4:18PM

Finally someone not only pointing out the problems but actually wanting to solve them. For those who may not want to join politics there is also another way to help. That is by donations, social-work, and educating the general public. Educating means they have their own visions and views and do not fall easily into the pit hole conspiracy theories.Recommend

• Sep 15, 2010 - 6:29PM

samad:

wishing you well, would request you to do a follow up to this a few years down the road..Recommend

• zia
    Sep 15, 2010 - 9:03PM

Delivering relief with an MPA and full protocol must have been very harsh, yet gratifying fuel for your righteous convictions. I have one question if you can please answer it. If you do not work at all when you are in Pakistan for lets say a couple of years, will your or your family’s lifestyle change even one percent? I think we know the answer. Most of the Pakistani’s living abroad are not there by choice, like the one you had. They have been forced into exile because of their economic and social liabilities, middle class tribulations which you will never see or understand, even when you become one of our rulers as is your plan. Everything in your article points to a pampered, elitist; pat myself on the back social worker attitude common to the leeches sucking our blood till nothing is left and then some more, which led you lead a good topic with a story of your super man deeds.
    Just like the earthquake; flood relief activation and delivery has been taken into their own hands by the man on the street, and they have not done a half bad job. These are the people who one day will Inshallah take Pakistan out of this never ending dark tunnel, because even though they cant see the light at the end of the tunnel, they can smell the fresh air. Enjoy the industrial generator driven comfort of your drawing room, we do not need to stroke an elite iron man’s ego, we love the man on the street spider man types.Recommend

• Topak Khan
    Sep 15, 2010 - 9:06PM

hahah people here commenting thinking tht you are in the same boat as them, they also want to join politics and your attempt to be like ordinary citizens gives them hope tht they are not alone, but you are not ordinary, you are not like others, you have the money, the political connections and your family to help you sail into politics, please don’t act like you are an ordinary citizen.Recommend

• Anoop
    Sep 15, 2010 - 9:31PM

For any country to prosper it needs principles. What principles will it follow? Dont tell me Islamic. It just shows you have not learnt anything from all those years of following Islamic principles. Look at other Islamic countries and contrast them with the prosperous Turkey.

Secularism and Capitalism is a good start but Pakistani hate both the ideas.Recommend

• Sep 15, 2010 - 10:28PM

Very motivational and aspirational article Samad. Kudos to you. Indeed, youth like you is the only source of hope for Pakistan. They say its the elders who should learn from. I say its the elders’ MISTAKE we youth should learn from. Most definitely Pakistan youth is better than the elders. Recommend

• Parvez
    Sep 15, 2010 - 10:40PM

Possibly I’m wrong, but you seem to be a beneficiary of the system that strangles Pakistan.
    This is a ruthless and powerful system cobbled together over years and when challenged it defends itself either by annihilating you or absorbing you.
    The concept of the young knight in shining armour facing the dragon is so romantic and someone like me will always root for you. I admire the stance you have taken. Best of Luck.Recommend

• Zohaib
    Sep 15, 2010 - 11:06PM

I admire your enthusiasm Samad! Like they say-tomorrow is another day. We are going through so much already-the worst thing we can do to ourselves as a nation is let our hopes die.Recommend

• farrukh Siddiqui
    Sep 16, 2010 - 1:05AM

what a self indulgent and self serving piece… self promotion. Please achieve something and do something first and then others would write about you. you sound like a typical politician. Recommend

• A dear friend of Samad, and a member of Khushaal Pakistan
    Sep 16, 2010 - 1:43AM

Good luck, and to add, the organization Khushaal Pakistan is being run jointly by 5 friends, Samad Khurram, Owais Barlas, Amna Mawaz, Muhammad Rafeh and Jawad Abbassi.
    You can all visit the website, http://www.khushaalpakistan.com.

People all over the world can donate through Paypal for the flood affectees. Recommend

• Aamina
    Sep 16, 2010 - 2:34AM

At the moment Pakistan is equivalent to a ticking time-bomb and we need people like you to save our country. Well done Samad for everything you have achieved so far, and InshALLAH, despite the fact that this will be a struggle, we will bring Pakistan back to where it should be. I really admire your enthusiasm and ability to motivate others to join in aswell. Best of luck with everything you choose to do in life! :)Recommend

• Saman
    Sep 16, 2010 - 2:42AM

Very well written Samad. You are an inspiration for all of us. Keep up the good work!Recommend

• Sep 16, 2010 - 3:15AM

Alhamdolillah that you came back Samad, and now we will never let you leave! Please be safe in Balochistan, and thanks for being a rock solid example of how much our Pakistani youth Rocks! I am with you all the way Inshallah, and so are many, many others. By the way there is er kind of a leadership vacuum currently in Pakistan, can you please take over the country TODAY? We’re waiting… Hurry up!Recommend

• Nayab Malik
    Sep 16, 2010 - 3:25AM

I prefer people with vision compared to people with empty promises….and I hope your vision would give Pakistan’s politics a new dimension. :)Recommend

• Mohammad Bangash
    Sep 16, 2010 - 3:45AM

Welcome back Sarmad…
    Your spirit is moving…and may Allah make you successful…
    I am sure you will find brilliant resource to back you up in your efforts. All there to support and whenever wherever I can.Recommend

• Alyzeh Qureshi
    Sep 16, 2010 - 5:01AM

Samad,

You’re an inspiration. I don’t think you should waste your time observing different parties already present in Pakistan, nor hope that you can ameliorate their already deteriorating condition. Have the courage to make your own, and you’ll be sure to have the youth back you.Recommend

• Anam Khan
    Sep 16, 2010 - 8:29AM

I am American born and raised, as are my parents. Yet, I’ve always felt a lot of connection with the country my grandparents immigrated from: Pakistan. I’ve heard so much of the corruption present in Pakistan and it always made me want to do something about it. I’m in my first year of University, and working to achieve a degree in something where I can go back and help the political system as well. What you are doing is amazing. It truly inspires me and makes me want to continue working towards my goals. It makes me want to do something more than just live a normal and uneventful life where I haven’t tried to help as many people as i can. The key thing is to never let hope for Pakistan die. I know that there is hope for Pakistan. I know Pakistan has a bright future ahead. Pakistan needs people like you. Recommend

• Hassaan Islam
    Sep 16, 2010 - 9:08AM

Wow this is so thoughtful of you brother! I am studying abroad myself and this gives me motivation, inspiration and hope to return and do something for my motherland. Please don’t stop in your aspiration and keep on writing such articles. Keep it up! Pakistan needs its youth! Recommend

• Jahanzaib Haque
    Sep 16, 2010 - 11:44AM

@Alyzeh please email personal messages to the writer. Your comment was moderated for diverging from the issue. Best regards (Web Editor)Recommend

• A Afzal
    Sep 16, 2010 - 11:55AM

I can relate to the author here. I moved back after living more than a decade outside of Pakistan. I too get bewildered looks from people when I inform them I moved back from US. They tell me on my face that I made a bad mistake and I will run back after a year. When I talk about my dreams for the country I get a smirk from them in return. I do not for once regret moving back.
    As bloody revolution is concerned I side with the author that we need a gradual change. For all the proponents of bloody change do not forget that we(the english speaking class) will be the primary victims. We are part of the problem in the eyes of all those naked and hungry people and when a revolution comes its the most poor of a society who go on a rampage against everyone who is not like them. So lets work to bring a change which is civilized and don’t get thousands of people killed. Samad keep on the good work buddy we need people like you over here!!!Recommend

• Khadija Masood
    Sep 16, 2010 - 2:23PM

I hope you never lose your optimism.Recommend

• An old acquaintance
    Sep 16, 2010 - 3:46PM

Self promotional! any ideas, vision Samad?Recommend

• Ramsha
    Sep 16, 2010 - 4:31PM

‘Old Acquaintance’…it may seem like it, but you don’t need to put him down on a public forum. If you really care, then why don’t you go discuss it with him, rather than hurtling accusations, since you seem to know him. And if you had the “jigra”, then you wouldn’t remain anonymous.Recommend

• tahir
    Sep 16, 2010 - 6:20PM

Oh Samad trying to be Imran Khan!Strange enough no one here is as strong as Imran is…
    His answers were what we have always heard from Imran in answer to same questions.But Imra’s intensity and emotions are stronger.

It’s nice to know that samad wants to do something for Pakistan and hope he does a little bit for Pakistan.Recommend

• Belal Shaykh
    Sep 16, 2010 - 6:22PM

Sarmad, i read the article and it made me extremely proud of you.You are an asset of Pakistan…Keep it up…You will always find me at your back for support…good luckRecommend

• Sep 16, 2010 - 6:29PM

good stuff :) excellent work on the relief efforts too. you need a more winning picture though!Recommend

• Ramsha
    Sep 16, 2010 - 6:52PM

Everyone has their own identity, Tahir.
    My, I smell something burning here. It’s the Jealous Brigade. You wish you were him =)Recommend

• Farrokh
    Sep 16, 2010 - 7:05PM

It will be khurram and his ilk who could bring Pakistan out of it’s morass. We need to support them all the way into the evolution of clean governance and politics all the wayRecommend

• Talat Haque
    Sep 16, 2010 - 9:28PM

All politics is local ……….. what have you done for the people around you? …… for the place around you? …….. you can only talk big when you have acted on a smaller scale ………. has the rich / politically connected elite ever done much for people who live around them , on their lands ……….. look at the peasants on the Bhutto lands and Bacha Khan’s lands …….. please don’t live your dreams out over the people of Pakistan ……….. they have heard enough from Harvard graduated patriots as well as the ones that hold fake degrees …….. they know them all ……….. “there is more money to be made in the breaking up of a nation than in the making of one” quote Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind !! ………. Carpe Diem !!
    You seem to have as many votes and admirers as Imran Khan !Recommend

• Usman Akbar
    Sep 16, 2010 - 11:11PM

I appreciate your efforts and sincerely hope that some day you can fulfill your dreams. However, there are some harsh realities that you need to acknowledge before taking the plunge in. Hope you have considered all those facts while formulating your plan. May God help you.
    PS: I hope I am wrong, yet it is very difficult to see that happening.Recommend

• Fatima
    Sep 16, 2010 - 11:20PM

I hope it works. I believe the masses don t know what is good for them. Everybody is corrupt. Not even few good people.Recommend

• Anonymous
    Sep 17, 2010 - 2:44AM

Ah… this is my beloved country Pakistan i can`t believe what is goin on, the country which is blessed, by our forefathers blood.today when i saw,hearts of my country men,preplexed and trouble expessions, under the sky without bed and board.i hear the voices of children, the children who are the future, crying and scared faces, sitting around the flood.the ample waterway arose, and going like a slope, in which everything demolished . mix up and become to overwhelm. a time of sadness , broaken hearted and in shocked evr 1 is in deep grief v can jus simple proud of U Samad nation proud of u we need ppl like U honest , patriotic u r Our future Bright future with all my hrt n soul deep of my heart i Salute u and all the team of KHUSH HAAL PAKISTAN. may ALLAH bless m a biggest fan of samad khurram may ALLAH bless u always n ur family wishing u all the best and fav things in life keep up the good work ma brother. keep doin gud ALLAH apko salamat rakhey or nazr e bud se bachay.
    & the ancient allegories cal forth . 4 the Land where they survived , a true blessings of heaven . ya ALLAH , Just glance @ this Land .today in need of a gr8 spirit , a voice 2 memorise our slogan. 2 b united 4 this Land safe & save our country PAKISTAN. be safe Samad be safe PAKISTANRecommend

• Samra Akram
    Sep 17, 2010 - 3:09AM

aah , this is my belovd country i can`t belv what is going on , the country whc is blessd, by our forefathrs blood.today when i saw , hearts of ma country men , preplexed n trouble expressions .under the sky without bed n board. i hear the voices of children . the children who r the future , cryin n scard faces sitting around the flood . the ample waterway arose , n goin like a slope, in whc evthg demolished . mixup n become 2 overwhelm. a time of sadness , broaken heartd n in shockd ev1 is in deep grief……… i jus only can Salute U Samad . in dis tragic sitiuation gv a chance 2 make us a proud nation u makes us shine ur a star wid all ma heart n respect i salute n all the khushhal PAKISTAN team 4all the efforts thy r doin. we need ppl like u Pakistan needs u m a biggest fan of samad khurram ALLAH bles u n ur family live long my BROTHER ALLAH apko salamat rakhe or nazre bud se bachay keep up the gud work brO always keep goin gud 4 pur PAKISTAN.U r our future bright future.
    nw the incint allogories cal forth .4 the Land wea thy survivd , a true blessing of heaven , o ALLAH JUs glance @ this Land . tday in need of a gr8 spirit , a voice 2 memorize our slogan 2b unitd 4 this Land ,plz SaVe & SaFe Our Country …………….. be safe & GOD bless Samad n PAKISTANRecommend

• Sep 17, 2010 - 8:03PM

Superb article, at the end of the day we the people – not just the Pakistani people need to seek leadership from within ourselves and each other. The ‘professional’ politicians and religious leaders days are numbered as more and more people are awakening to their own truths.

On the issue of Pakistan we the people are awakening and Pakistanis overseas are returning and wish to return to develop and help Pakistan prosper – I wish the best for the new generation of Pakistanis and Samad – any help you need at any time – I would be happy to assist.

Lets Awaken PakistanRecommend

• rao hamza
    Sep 17, 2010 - 11:02PM

super,fabolus,brother a gr8 job done by you…!i welcomed you and invites you to visit okara and start you work from okara…!what eva!prob is i will face it!i offers you to start your moment from okara.i will also pray for you…!Recommend

• Huda A.
    Sep 17, 2010 - 11:26PM

There will be hardships, it’s gonna be crazy tough…but know that this nation and a LOT of like-minded educated individuals of your country are counting on you…you are not alone.
    Wish you all the luck you need. Wherever time takes you, whatever you do…just don’t lose yourself and keep your focus on the greater good..all else, is just a matter of time..Recommend

• EF
    Sep 18, 2010 - 5:39AM

Samad didn’t we have icecream with Rafe when you were in Lahore last time for the emergency thing? hahahaRecommend

• kamran
    Sep 18, 2010 - 1:55PM

Very naive, beta Samad Khurram…Recommend

• Maliha
    Sep 18, 2010 - 2:58PM

The word “I” has been used a total of 20 times in this article!! wow what blatant self promotion.Recommend

• Muneeb
    Sep 18, 2010 - 5:06PM

How is this a self-serving piece when most of the world is debating why people want to live in Pakistan? I think it is very much on-point. The guy is doing hands on flood relief, which is more than we can expect from any of our current leaders. It is the need of the day and he is not focusing on creating a political party but is engaging at the grassroots to solve a tiny bit of the massive problem that has crushed Pakistan. He has given up a lot of money and comfort in the US to come back to Pakistan. If he is from a moneyed/affluent background, it’s great because that means he can actually campaign and get himself into office. No two-penny Jack can get elected in the US either. Don’t be dense and think that the US is some brilliant democracy where everyone’s dreams come true…they don’t He is also expressing a vision and a strategy to increase civic engagement and get more educated, thinking people out to vote and influence their elected representatives. And before you launch on this type of tirade against people like him, remember, you are responsible for having Zardari as your president. Shame on you!!Recommend

• Sidra Khan
    Sep 18, 2010 - 7:24PM

Oh My God! your article said everything that i have been actively telling people around me! I want to enter politics to make a change :) I am glad more people are coming to this conclusion and your right this is the answer that people like us get about politics in our country!Recommend

• Naeem
    Sep 18, 2010 - 11:17PM

Well Done Samad,

You are setting a very good example. Let’s hope a lot others follow.Recommend

• Sep 19, 2010 - 9:40AM

Bravo! Dreams do come true.Recommend

• Maliha
    Sep 19, 2010 - 6:58PM

@Muneeb. I think you are contradicting yourself first you say that civic engagement is necessary in the political process.., getting ppl to vote….” and then you go on to say “that ppl like you are responsible for electing zardari”. Meaning those who did participate in the democratic process in Feb 2008 did something wrong!!! please make up your mind. and please ppl tolerate crticism it is precisely this intolerance that has led our society to where it is today.Recommend

• Ramsha
    Sep 20, 2010 - 4:08AM

Maliha,

Sweetheart. You seem to have a lot of time on your hands. Nice job counting the number of times ‘I’ has been used. But this is not one of your literary analysis pieces Although I am sure you could find literary techniques like foreshadowing, metaphors and the like if you looked closely…in fact, perhaps your deeply insightful comments could raise the intellectual level of this piece. So do contribute some more and let us know about the gems you have uncovered =)

By the way, FYI, this type of writing is called a narrative,and it’s absolutely okay to use ‘I’, without being accused of egotistical behavior/self promotion.

Cheers!

xxxRecommend

• Ghazala
    Sep 20, 2010 - 4:21AM

Maliha, I dare you to write a narrative op-ed without using the word I.Recommend

• Sep 29, 2010 - 12:00AM

Wish you best of luck.Recommend

More in Opinion