‘SC never raised objection against Balochistan Assembly’

Court also directs authorities to recover and present missing persons.


Peer Muhammad November 21, 2012

ISLAMABAD:


The Supreme Court on Tuesday clarified that it had made the provincial authorities and not the Balochistan Assembly the target of criticism during hearings on the strife-hit province.


“We have not said a single thing against the provincial assembly during the 72 hearings on Balochistan as we believe in democracy,” said Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, who is heading a three-member bench.

During Tuesday’s hearing of the Balochistan law and order case, Shahid Hamid, the Balochistan government’s counsel, said a provincial assembly session was summoned by members who passed a vote of confidence in Balochistan Chief Minister Aslam Raisani.

Missing persons

The court also directed authorities to recover and present missing persons, including Dr Saeed and Advocate Munir, before the court by December 5, the next date of hearing.

It also directed the authorities to present a detailed report pertaining to around 100 missing persons abducted from Balochistan.

Targeted killings

The chief justice also highlighted the plight of the Shia community in the province. Along with members of the Shia community, 28 journalists and 432 personnel of FC and people from minorities were murdered but not a single killer has been arrested so far, he added.

Chief Justice Chaudhry further said that the provincial interior minister himself disclosed that cabinet members are involved in kidnappings, which is a matter of great concern.

The government’s counsel sought some time in this regard and was given till December 5 to submit a compliance report.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 21st, 2012.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read