JOHANNESBURG: The South African musicians who are demanding to be included in the World Cup kick-off concert must understand that the show is not all about them, a top FIFA official said on Thursday.
Local musicians have reacted with anger to the line-up for the star-studded June 10 concert, saying it should have included more local talent. "This is an international event, we need to attract audiences from around the world with big global names," said FIFA secretary general Jerome Valke. "It is not only about the local artists. FIFA paid a lot of money to stage this event," he told journalists.
Two South African acts -- The Parlotones and Vusi Mahlasela -- have been included in the line-up, which includes the Black Eyed Peas, John Legend, Shakira and Alicia Keys.
The artists' union last week brought their grievances to Culture Minister Lulu Xingwana and World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan. "We have informed them that the concert is not the only arts event around the World Cup. This is not the end for them," Jordaan told journalists Thursday. The kick-off concert will take place at Orlando Stadium in the historic Soweto township outside Johannesburg.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ