I miss doing masala movies: Tabu

Published: November 3, 2012

Tabu will next be seen in Ang Lee’s Life of Pi, releasing November 23. PHOTO: FILE Tabu will next be seen in Ang Lee’s Life of Pi, releasing November 23. PHOTO: FILE
MUMBAI:

Happy with her “successful life” and “achievements”, Tabu takes pride in saying that as a Bollywood actor she deftly balanced mainstream and art movies but admits “missing” being a part of masala movies. She says that she would like to do a “comedy” and won’t mind teaming up with David Dhawan.

The actor, who will turn 41 next month, described her over two-decade journey in showbiz as satisfactory. “A lot has been achieved. I believe my life is a success story. I am fortunate enough to have achieved everything. I never thought I would be an actor; so, each and every achievement looks big to me. It’s been a long journey,” she said.

If she entertained Hindi-speaking fans with Hera Pheri and Biwi No 1, she had a grip over Telugu audiences with potboilers like Ninne Pelladatha and Coolie No 1 as well.

When asked what kept her away from masala films, she said she didn’t want to be stereotypes.

“Once you do such films, people start thinking: ‘Let’s just cast her in the same kind of films’. They will say: ‘She looks good in this kind of role, so take her in this film’. So once it works for you, it will be used as a formula by people. I can’t keep doing that. I have to do something from which I get something,” Tabu said.

After being part of critically acclaimed films like Chandni Bar and Namesake, she now wants to work with David Dhawan who is known for his fun light-hearted films.

“Of course, there is an aspiration to work with interesting people and established people. I want to work with David Dhawan. I would love to do comedy,” she added.

She will next be seen in Ang Lee’s Life of Pi, releasing November 23 and is also currently working in Bijoy Nambiar’s David

Published in The Express Tribune, November 4th, 2012.

Like Life & Style on Facebook and follow at @ETLifeandStyle for the latest in fashion, gossip, entertainment

• Whats in the name
    Nov 3, 2012 - 11:29PM

But we miss you more often on the Big Screen, Talented actress doing fewer movies… it is a loss to Cinema. Madam, Please sign more movies…. You are gifted and talented….Big fan of yours… Your facial expressions speaks a thousand words.

• Parvez
    Nov 4, 2012 - 12:42AM

I’m a Tabu fan. Her screen presence is riveting and I think her full acting talent has yet to be explored.

• Zalim singh
    Nov 4, 2012 - 2:29AM

great actress

• JSM
    Nov 4, 2012 - 9:34AM

Why do we see write-ups on muslim peronalities only from Inia in ET? There are no writre-ups on non-muslim Indians. Does Pakistan think that they represent Indian muslims also? And do Indian muslims want it that way?

• Sidewinder
    Nov 4, 2012 - 10:09AM

a different league from the many Dolls masquerading as actresses….

• Rock Musician
    Nov 4, 2012 - 4:35PM

Hey JSM..no offence but isnt bollywood dominated by Muslim artists?correct me if i am wrong — Aamir, Shahrukh, Salman, Saif, Shahid Kapoor, Rahat Fateh Ali, Farhan Akhtar, Arshad Warsi, Tabu and others.. atleast the male actor bit.
    Though i would love to see ET do a Govinda, Paresh Rawal or Akshay Kumar interview..Fantastic talent these people have as well

• Indian
    Nov 4, 2012 - 7:40PM

@JSM @Rock Musician Please do not bring in religion in just about everything there is to comment or discuss. Aaamir, Shahrukh, Akshay, etc… are successful and appreciated only because of their body of work… their solid performances… and not anything else.
    Peace…Recommend

• Saifuddin Kaul
    Nov 9, 2012 - 11:35AM

@JSM,

As Muslims, many of us feel pride, interest and appreciation if any Muslim has made achievements in any sphere of life and is successful. That goes for any country be it India, Turkey, Saudi, USA. That is why the love and interest for people like Mohammad Rafi, Javed Ali, The Khans of Bollywood, Nasiruddin Shah. This doesnt mean we do not appreciate Non Muslims as well. This is true for other communities as well.

• JSM
    Nov 16, 2012 - 11:01PM

@Saifuddin Kaul:

“This doesnt mean we do not appreciate Non Muslims as well. This is true for other communities as well.

But you are afraid of expressing it.

More in Film