KARACHI: Karachi’s traders and industrialists have decided to defer their strike by 30 days after Sindh governor Dr Ishratul Ebad Khan assured them of increasing police force in markets and industrial areas of the city, Express News reported.
Khan, who met with representatives of the business community at the governor house on Sunday told media in a joint press conference afterwards that as many as 500 additional policemen will be posted in the industrial areas in addition to forming police checkposts in every market of the city.
Following the assurances, representatives of Karachi’s business community including the Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) and the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI), announced their decision to defer their strike call for November 8, 2012, by a month.
Earlier in the month, the FPCCI had held a press conference where they had requested intervention by the country’s armed forces to help control the rampant law and order situation in Pakistan’s financial hub.
“The security situation in the city is far from satisfactory,” said FPCCI acting president Shaikh Haroon Rasheed had said on October 20. “If the government fails to act by November 8, the businessmen will strike again.”
Replying to questions from media persons, businessmen said that the government has failed in controlling the militant wings of political parties, which is why the intervention of the army is necessary.