Cricket: Missing Mohali was my biggest loss, says Amir

Published: September 6, 2012
Several players and former cricketers feel that Amir’s talent will help him find a place in the national side after his ban ends in 2015. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Missing the 2011 World Cup semi-final against India in Mohali was the lowest point of Mohammad Amir’s career, according to the banned fast-bowler who made his first national television appearance on Tuesday night since his return to Pakistan.

Amir was an integral part of the 2009 World Twenty20 winning squad and also in the side that made it to the Champions Trophy semi-finals later that year. But the tour of England – where Pakistan beat Australia in the Twenty20 series before drawing the two-match Test series – was to be his last appearance as the spot-fixing scandal was unearthed. However, despite the trials, the ban from cricket and the prison term, Amir still rued missing the high-profile Mohali encounter the most.

“I was so heartbroken that I couldn’t even watch that match,” said Amir. “I could tell from my family members’ faces that they would’ve loved to see me on tv then. I just got up and left. Missing that match was my biggest loss.”

Amir, however, remains optimistic about returning to cricket after his five-year ban ends in 2015.

“I’ve learnt from my mistakes. I cannot explain the pain I go through each day. It hurts to see the team play and then realise I can’t be part of that. I messed it all up because of one mistake. But I apologise for that and promise that if I’m given another chance, I will put in all my effort with sincerity and honesty.”

The fast-bowler added that prior to the spot-fixing episode in England, he was never involved in any sort of wrongdoing at any level in the sport.

“I played with honesty before I was forced into the trap. What’s happened has happened. I don’t want to get into the blame game again and just want to look ahead to the future.”

‘Friends’ never came to help me: Amir

Meanwhile, Amir said that the whole fixing fiasco and the subsequent jail term forced many of his ‘friends’ away from him.

“I got moral support from the ones I never expected but the ones who I considered my close friends turned away. Shahid Afridi motivated me during the tough days and I am very thankful to him. Kamran Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad have also been a great help as well as Shoaib Akhtar.”

Published in The Express Tribune, September 6th, 2012.

• ali
    Sep 6, 2012 - 2:33AM

Once a robber always a robber…….Sold his country…………now behaving like a newly married bride……Should make a example out of him…….

• Hassan Uddin
    Sep 6, 2012 - 5:22AM

Yeah, I agree with Amir. Indeed it was a biggest lost for him not to play in Mohali. He could make millions by doing a no ball there too

• Syed
    Sep 6, 2012 - 5:26AM

Ali, throughout civilized world, people do get second chance, even after murder. He is one of the most talented cricketer played in cricket history (without any pun around),

So, let’s give him a chance.

• Ch. Allah Daad
    Sep 6, 2012 - 6:33AM

No, Thanks.

• Shahid
    Sep 6, 2012 - 7:03AM

@Ali

Agree with you. Mohd Amir making SOB stories so that the public gets fooled. He should never play again for Pakistan, because he is a disgrace. In fact all 3 (butt, amir and asif) should be on pakistani jail for disgracing Pakistan.

• shadi
    Sep 6, 2012 - 7:26AM

@ ali he isnt a robber he is a kid who made a mistake, just like you probably did and i for certain did at stages in life. Yes his mistake was bigger than ours, but the courage he showed to admit is truly admirable. Its not about how hard we fall its about how quick we can get back up.

• ayesha azeem
    Sep 6, 2012 - 7:34AM

Humans make mistakes,We all make mistakes,Let’s just give Him a chance for God’s sake…
    (Can’t wait to be trolled by so called patriotic Pakis now,lol)

• Faraz
    Sep 6, 2012 - 8:35AM

if he is repenting and if he proves this in the meanwhile then and only then I can welcome him in the team after his ban time is over. At the very least, he is apologizing, unlike Mr. Butt who still thinks he hasn’t done anything wrong and fans, too, still treat him as a hero! I give Amir some credit for coming out, telling the truth and apologizing, it does take a lot to admit your guilt.

• M.Aswad Mehtab
    Sep 6, 2012 - 8:49AM

if politicions can get 5 chances and humiliate the nation and still expects a 6th one (you know whom i talking about) than why not a 2nd one for this tallented fool… :-) educate me …

• Singh
    Sep 6, 2012 - 9:15AM

He should be given second chance.

• My Name is Khan
    Sep 6, 2012 - 9:39AM

The TRIO should be prevented from representing Pakistan again, and i m not in favor of trial against them in Pakistan, Pakistani court should not waste their time on people like that. they are already proven guilty.

• choptocut
    Sep 6, 2012 - 10:31AM

loss of an opportunity to fix the match??

• herpy-derpy
    Sep 6, 2012 - 10:56AM

humans make mistakes and that’s what makes us ‘humane’.

• Sep 6, 2012 - 10:58AM

Let the person who has never made a mistake in his life come forward and speak that Aamir does not need a chance and has to be punished.

Everyone makes mistakes guys even those who are old and wise and yet how old was this guy?

According to me he needs to be given a chance.

• JB
    Sep 6, 2012 - 11:47AM

Please keep this in mind: he was just 19 when he did what he did. Asif and Butt were well in to their careers. They knew what they were doing. Butt was the captain. And Asif…well, lets just say that this was not the first time he screwed up. He already got a second chance after the doping ban. Amir was a youngster and I challenge anyone to prove that they did not make any kind of mistake in their teens when they were growing up. I personally feel that Amir should get a second chance. However, he ends up doing something like this again, then he should be banned for life!
    BUT this is just my opinion….

• Haider
    Sep 6, 2012 - 12:04PM

I think there will be a complete script ready for a movie after his return to cricket in 2015..

• Sep 6, 2012 - 12:39PM

@ayesha azeem:
    sure , give him a chance after all its your discretion. but dont expect ICC to follow your wish. Amir may be able to play domestic cricket in pakistan but ICC wont let him play International.

now,i dont know what is a no ball rate in domestic cricket in pakistan.

• Feroz
    Sep 6, 2012 - 1:22PM

What Amir did was a personal indiscretion. He was penalized for it and repents it,deserves another chance.

• Close_enough
    Sep 6, 2012 - 1:55PM

He deserve a second chance… We must give him moral support. he has confessed and asking for forgiveness and moreover he has been in the jail. If God forgive for more than hundred times, why not we can forgive him for one time.

• Sep 6, 2012 - 2:00PM

ppl who are criticizing amir they are just fools, GOD also forgives 1 mistake

• syed
    Sep 6, 2012 - 2:30PM

come back soon

• maestro
    Sep 6, 2012 - 4:25PM

Here is one guy who is openly admitting his guilt. He comes from a poor background, is young and was misled – still he has the guts to say he messed up and will never do so again. He deserves another chance.

• DrDr
    Sep 6, 2012 - 6:10PM

One kick-butt performance by Aamir after his punishment is over to have him 7 khoon maaaf. You should keep your fitness young boy.

• Veena
    Sep 6, 2012 - 6:11PM

If Aaamir Liaqat can be forgiven then why not Mohammad Aamir?

• Muhammad Mehdi Raza
    Sep 6, 2012 - 6:57PM

Initially I was against him coming back but now I am sure we should give him a second chance just like Asif Zardari and Iftikhar Choudhary.

• wasim saqib
    Sep 6, 2012 - 8:03PM

@Vishnu Dutta:

The Rates all over the world are set in your country strange you don’t know them.

• Tanzeel
    Sep 6, 2012 - 9:13PM

We can forgive Aamir Liaquat, Maya Khan, Mubashar Luqman, Mehr Bukhari, Imran Khan, and Iftikhar Chaudhry, but no we cannot forgive a talented young (once) misguided player, who wants to rehab and play for his country. No No No!

• Fawad
    Sep 6, 2012 - 9:43PM

@Tanzeel: I agree. PCB trying hard to take him back. As he learned his lesson and still can do strong bowling. Pak team doesn’t have a bowler like Amir or Shoaib akhtar.Recommend

• Ali S
    Sep 6, 2012 - 10:03PM

The PCB needs to give all new recruits, especially those from underprivileged / rural backgrounds, a thorough orientation and training along with clear warnings that if they get caught even once in such activities they should consider their professional career to be over for good.

Yes, Amir made a mistake and it’s commendable that he (apparently) realizes the severity of it and is owning up to it, but even if he’s given a second chance he should be scrutinized because this I’ll-do-it-if-can-get-away-with-it mentality runs very deep within our people. If you want any proof of that: Salman But is still portraying himself as an innocent, framed victim. Height of shamelessness.

• Ch.subba Rao
    Sep 7, 2012 - 4:04PM

He can be forgiven and very young lad.his talent should not be wasted.

• Syed Shahbaz Q.
    Sep 11, 2012 - 12:09PM

Aamir you should be worried by Not playing at all cricket.
    Atleast regret of what you have done and dont repeat such mistakes again in your life.

• Gul Khan
    Oct 30, 2012 - 6:11PM

Oh come on. that was not the first time he was involved in wrong doing.What about Sydney Test where he Droped dolly catch when Ricky Ponting(he went on to make over 100) was on nought and then straight away looked at butter finger keeper as to say that i have earned my corn

Gul Khan