While the Supreme Court is adamant to make Balochistan’s administration admit its failure in protecting lives, authorities concerned have resorted to verbally defending themselves.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday sought a duly signed joint statement from Balochistan’s chief secretary, the provincial police chief and inspector general of Frontier Corps (FC) over the prevailing law and order situation in the restive province.
Balochistan’s Advocate General Amanullah Kinrani, the federation’s counsel Munir Piracha, the Supreme Court Bar Association’s (SCBA) President Yasin Azad and the counsel for agencies Raja Irshad appeared before a three-member bench hearing a petition filed by the Balochistan High Court Bar Association.
Kinrani, while admitting that the law and order situation was deteriorating in the province, maintained that even members of law enforcement agencies were not safe. He, however, stressed it could not be said the state’s apparatus had failed to address the issues faced by the province.
The advocate general further argued that the worsening law and order situation concerned a mere 200 persons and was not a blanket issue for the 6.5 million-strong province.
The federation’s counsel Munir Piracha tried to divert all blame from the centre. Munir said after the passage of the 18th Amendment the federation has no power to intervene in provincial matters.
The chief justice, however, remained unimpressed. He said the court was being ridiculed and that no person of any clan was safe in Balochistan even amid the presence of law enforcement agencies. He noted that not a single person had been brought to the court to be booked thus far.
Justice Khilji Arif Hussain said if the provincial government fails to establish peace then it is the duty of the federal government to set things right. He added it is the responsibility of all concerned quarters to strive wholeheartedly for the sake of the country.
SCBA President Azad said no one was serious about addressing the security issues in Balochistan and recommended that dialogue be held at the highest level to sort out the incessant problem.
The case has been adjourned till July 26 (today) when the apex court expects the duly signed joint-statement from relevant authorities regarding their efforts to control the restive situation.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 26th, 2012.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ