Motorway explosion: Remote-controlled bomb blast injures five

Police say the blast may have targeted a security forces convoy.

Our Correspondent July 20, 2012

PESHAWAR:


Five people were injured and two vehicles were damaged when a remote-controlled bomb hidden in a pushcart exploded near the Peshawar-Islamabad motorway interchange on Thursday afternoon, officials said.


City SP Asif Iqbal, while confirming the injuries, said: “The bomb had been concealed inside a cart and its target seemed to be a security forces convoy that had passed by minutes earlier.”

While inspecting the site the bomb disposable unit said that the device was locally manufactured. “There were about three kilogrammes of explosives used in the attack,” BDU official Abdul Haq said, adding that pellets were also in the explosives to make it more lethal.

The injured were rushed to the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) Peshawar. Dr Shiraz, the head of the emergency ward, told The Express Tribune that only two of the injured had come to the LRH and their condition was out of danger.

Sarband attack

The attack was the second one in a span of six hours. Earlier in the day, a police van was targeted in Sarband, when unidentified militants hurled two hand grenades at police officials. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the incident.

“They attacked our vehicle with two grenades near the cattle market when we were on a routine patrol,” SHO Fazle Maula told The Express Tribune. “The explosives along with pellets had been filled in a crate of soft drinks.”

A search operation was launched in the area. There were no immediate arrests.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 20th, 2012.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story