KABUL: The Taliban waging a vicious insurgency in Afghanistan have signaled a willingness to cooperate with international forces, the UN and human rights groups to investigate civilian deaths in the war.
A committee "should be formed to assess the very issue and conduct investigations into the civilian casualties across the country," the Taliban said in a statement late Sunday.
The probe should include representatives from the Taliban-calling itself the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan-Nato forces, the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and UN human rights organisations, the statement said.
The overwhelming majority of civilian deaths and injuries in the war, nearing the end of its ninth year, have been blamed on the Taliban. The group relies largely on roadside bombs and suicide attackers.
Civilian casualties rose by 31 percent in the first six months of 2010, the United Nations said last week, with casualties among children up 55 percent.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ