Tete-a-tete with the man behind ‘Waderai ka Beta’

Published: June 18, 2012
Comedian Ali Gul Pir talks about his newfound fame.

Comedian Ali Gul Pir talks about his newfound fame.

KARACHI:

Has the catchy phrase “Saaen tau saaen, saaen ka kutta bhi saaen” tickled your funny bone? Comedian Ali Gul Pir has now become the face of crude comedy with his first tongue-in-cheek song “Waderai Ka Beta”. The rap song and the sepia-toned YouTube video is a humourous take on the pretentious lifestyle of a feudal lord’s son.

The video, which was uploaded on June 14, has already crossed 150,000 hits on YouTube and elicited a raving response from listeners. Here are a few of the appreciative comments posted under the video:

“Ali Gul Pir should be on the next season of Coke Studio.”

“Best dialogue of 2012!”

“Wow. I could relate to this song so much. Know my fair share of waderey ke betay… pain in the ***.”

While Pir has been doing improvisation comedy with comedians like Saad Haroon and Danish Ali for some time, this song is his official introduction to the Pakistani audience.

When asked what inspired him to write this song, the young comedian candidly says, “I didn’t put any thought into it. I was not even expecting it to go viral. I just woke up one day and the deadly combination of power failure and boredom made me write it.”

The video shows Pir singing in front of a Hummer next to armed bodyguards. He raps about the luxurious brands he wears and the attention he gets because of his money and power, and also refers to how the social status of those around him changes because they are his pals. “The track is a dig at influential people who misuse their authority,” says Pir. “The subject could be anyone from the sons of bureaucrats to tribal leaders.”

RJ for FM89 Khalid Malik is a fan. “I love the song. It’s local, it’s relevant and it’s coming from a Sindhi! I think it is great if we can laugh at ourselves,” says Malik. He adds that he met Pir on his show the morning after the video was uploaded to YouTube and asked if his video had landed him into trouble, to which Pir replied that it had not. “I love the dancing and the little details like the naara (drawstring) — fantastic!”

Pir holds a Bachelor’s degree in Media Sciences, and though film-making is his priority, “Waderai Ka Beta” was recorded to mock singers who fear to try something new. “I did this in rebellion against conventional thinking. If something is good and if it comes from an honest source, it will work out no matter how unconventional it is,” the young comedian states.

Some have raised questions about the negative portrayal of the Sindhi community; the term ‘saaen’ — which is used repeatedly in the song — is being considered a pun on senior politicians. But Pir says that the song’s only purpose is to make people laugh. “First of all, I am a Sindhi who hails from Dadu, so criticising Sindhis would mean I’m making fun of myself,” quips Pir. “Some people are trying to give it a deliberate political angle which it isn’t supposed to have,” adds Pir. “If it makes you laugh, then I have done my job as a comedian.”

After his video became an online sensation, Pir’s band, the Vital Saeens (a tribute to Vital Signs with a Sindhi touch), is all set for some viral videos. Pir says he may even make it his primary focus. The rapper adds that he is overwhelmed by the response his video has received, as people from Slovakia and Singapore have appreciated it and local celebrities have shared the video link on Twitter.

When asked how he is dealing with thenewfound fame, Pir says, “I’m just enjoying the hilarious comments I’m getting on my song. I like how some people think that I’m actually a waderai ka beta and that this song actually talks about my life.”

English translation of lyrics

Akbar Jatoi Jalbani is my name

Driving a Pajero and chilling is my dream

I’m so rich I can fart out money

I’ll show you now (fart) see?!

A gold Rado watch and my black suit is starched

Girls look at me and say “Ooh la la”

Hair all set, with oil in it

Compared to my moustache, yours has failed

The cool boys always want to hate me

Cause I get all the cute girls

Girl, I will make you the princess of Dadu (my village)

Verssis (Versace) shoes and Armaanri (Armani) sweater

A feudal lord’s son, a feudal lord’s son

I am

a feudal lord’s, a feudal lord’s

High five! Your *** is black

All my results from nursery to grade 10 are fake

I have a different way to impress the ladies

“Come over here I’ll show you a real man”

My dad wants me to become a parliamentary minister

But I want Sharmeela’s younger sister

I have lots of power and control

“Dad can I get my allowance today?”

I have 10 bodyguards who are always ready

Will put a false case on you and put you in prison

Once you’re in jail, you will yell out “NOOO!”

Boy, Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen but even Saeen’s dogs a saeen

Feudal’s son, feudal’s son

I am

Feudal’s son, feudals son

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even his clothes are saeen

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even his car’s a saeen

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even his smokes are saeen

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even his friends are saeen

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even Vital Saeens is saeen

Saeen (master/sir) is Saeen

Even his girlfriends a saeen

I swear, its very hot. Somebody get me one glass of lassi (dairy drink), so my heart can cool off (sigh).

Published in The Express Tribune, June 19th, 2012.

• fus
    Jun 18, 2012 - 9:42PM

Funnnyyyy!!! Good job.

• faraz
    Jun 18, 2012 - 9:42PM

the guy is a pure talent! looking forward to see some more stuff from you. you kids would take us to Oscars one day.. IA
    God Bless

• Maulana tharra
    Jun 18, 2012 - 10:07PM

I am a Sindhi and was highly impressed and amused by this. He is a talented young man, wish him the best.

We need to learn to laugh at our on own absurdities; it can be therapeutic and very healing.

There is lot of raw material in Pakistan.
    Eagerly awaiting for similar display from mqm, Chauhdries, syeds, mullahs, military boys, sardars, Khans, babus, ghairat brigade and so on.
    May be Ali Gul follow up on other taboo subjects as well.

• Ali tanoli
    Jun 18, 2012 - 10:45PM

funny but true.

• creative genious
    Jun 18, 2012 - 10:57PM

Love the song…Its hilarious..the guy is super talented.

• Noman
    Jun 18, 2012 - 11:24PM

“I want Sharmeela’s younger sister” .. lolz :D

• Ali Baloch
    Jun 19, 2012 - 12:50AM

this is hilarious.. hahaha , great work Pir saen.. wahjo video thayho thae…

• Rehmat
    Jun 19, 2012 - 3:48AM

awesome video… :D especially the last lines in sindhi.. those cracked me up! Way to go Ali Gul Pir

• BRUISED INDIAN
    Jun 19, 2012 - 4:11AM

Any talented singer in North India who can do a song on the “zameen baich ke naye ameer baap ki aulads”.

What a fantastic song… its gonna hurt alot (the Wadehra’s). Ali you got a strong Gui bro!

• PakArmySoldier
    Jun 19, 2012 - 5:16AM

Let’s hope this inspires a crusade against the Feudal lords, but I somehow doubt it.

• Naeem Siddiqui
    Jun 19, 2012 - 6:47AM

Fantastic!

• sick of this nonsense
    Jun 19, 2012 - 8:34AM

I am a Sindhi and I couldnt stop laughing when I saw this. On the negative side though every other Karachi friend has posted this video on my facebook wall -.-

• Faisal
    Jun 19, 2012 - 9:31AM

Excellent! Apart from the comedy part of this, love the attention to the finest of details, the concept, camera work, direction and production.
    Great team work! The people behind the scenes have equal share in the success and to be brought into limelight.

• Gul Khan
    Jun 19, 2012 - 12:15PM

LOL these lyrics in english sounds much more hillarious

• zehra
    Jun 19, 2012 - 12:57PM

it was too good!! glad to see no bashing here!!

• Pakistani
    Jun 19, 2012 - 2:06PM

@faraz:
    now I can understand some of SMS after reading your comment

• Mr. Honest
    Jun 19, 2012 - 4:43PM

Really funny, but critical… these people are and have been our RULERS, and hence the country in a mess.

• RP
    Jun 19, 2012 - 6:15PM

hahaha Hilarious.. Karachis got Talent..

and he’s kinda cute ;)

• jibran
    Jun 19, 2012 - 6:21PM

Crap! Just not into rap! You have to have a totally different taste to appreciate it.

• yusuf
    Jun 20, 2012 - 1:30AM

@Jibran: bro I think you completely missed the point in this song, if you’re talking about the genre!! I’m sure not even a pinch of salt in flour listeners like rap music

• Asad Ali Daudpota
    Jun 20, 2012 - 12:26PM

Ali Gul you are a star! One can see your honesty and humour through the details in your work. The combination of words, music, the superb camera work, direction, production, all of these have been well taken care of and have added immensely to the quality of work. This was something refreshing after a long time. We would love to hear more from you.

All the best!

• bilal ghulam akber gul mangi
    Jun 20, 2012 - 4:27PM

im a sindhi my self too. loved the song. but it is giving a wrong impression about sindhis. all my friends in karachi are posting it on my wall too :p
    just to tell u every one.only 10-15% sindhis are elite ( with a bulk living in karachi,hyderabad,sukkur and larkana). 40-50% are middle class, and the rest 45-35% are dying in poverty !

• Ayaz Hussain Channa
    Jun 20, 2012 - 7:47PM

Ali gul , you prepared a song of unique nature , usually not produce in our culture. I continually listened it .

• Farah Kamal
    Jun 20, 2012 - 8:50PM

I am not from the pop culture, neither into raps or pops, but man, this song is epic, someone shared it today morning amidst a busy work day and meetings but trust me I could not stop listening. Ali, you are indeed a talent and yes you should be in the next coke studio. Brilliant!!

• Aly
    Jun 21, 2012 - 4:09PM

Honestly I think comedy at the expense of another is not the job of a comedian. Making fun of a “culture” should not be encouraged. If the situation of the country is not favorable is because we as a nation are not ready to change. This is like someone who is so hungry for attention that he would make fun of his own culture simply to gain popularity. Most of the people would like this are more or less people who do not belong to this culture and who are simply more interested in creating a hype, just what media does..

• roadkashehzada
    Jun 21, 2012 - 10:18PM

people (and waderays ke betaas) will forget the satire in the song and and instead of feeling the pinch, will adopt the song with their own lavish pics

• meer jamal
    Jun 23, 2012 - 10:27PM

xcellent yr xcellent…..
    u rocked pir…
    wah jo gaano aa..vip..
    halaat saaey tou saaey saaaey ka sab kuch b saaaey.

• Safoora Nazeer
    Jun 24, 2012 - 10:10PM

Saeein to saeein, saeein k video bhi saeein.
    Great work AliSaeein :D

• Mohammad Ali Gaad
    Jul 1, 2012 - 6:40PM

in certain ali gul`s aim was not to make fun of Sindhi worthy word “saen” he was just trying to make we peoples laugh and even he did so.

• Jul 5, 2012 - 11:34AM

Beautifully captured with humor which is highly captivating also
    check this out music lovers and players, you might as well have interests over here.

• Danali
    Jul 8, 2012 - 9:07PM

Entertaining, should NOT be taken seriously!

• ghanva
    Jul 9, 2012 - 9:22AM

Even if he’s poking fun at some politicians what is wrong with it? the reviewers should do some introspection for double-standards. Why can Ali Azmat be lauded for political angles, mostly because he has run out of inspiration, and not this guy, who’s new and capable of giving us good music if encouraged? And frankly deserve being made fun of.

• waseem
    Jul 9, 2012 - 3:49PM

goodone

• Sammar
    Jul 14, 2012 - 1:51AM

So damn funny n so close to reality..lol remind me of someone i knew in real life..hilarious! :-D
    u rock man!

• Jul 16, 2012 - 12:40PM

it is really a nice song ,,,,,its about h0w we are in 0ur daily life specially n0n educated people like waderas ..i impressed with it ,really nyc w0rk ali ,l0ve this s0ng muuuaaaahhhwwww
    sweet saeen