Targeting the judiciary: Malik Riaz pitches battle tent, fires first round

Published: June 13, 2012
“I am not saying the chief justice is a don. Arsalan is a don. But I still respect the chief justice,” said Riaz (left in picture). PHOTO: MYRA IQBAL/EXPRESS

ISLAMABAD:

In a battle that is bound to be nasty, and played out in public, the property magnate has decided to take on, not just Dr Arsalan Iftikhar, but the entire judiciary.

With a pocket-sized copy of the Holy Quran in his hand, an emotionally-charged Malik Riaz hurled serious, but contradictory charges against Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and his son on Tuesday, on an issue that is sub judice, and in defiance of an apex court order to speak to the media.

His charges were cloaked, yet fierce, and cast a shadow over the integrity of the top judge of the country.

“The chief justice of Pakistan should tell the nation how many meetings he held with me in the darkness of night,” Riaz said, as he began his assault.

“Can he tell [the nation] about his meetings with the prime minister at the residence of Ahmed Khalil who is my partner in a project? And would the chief justice tell the nation how long he has known that Arsalan was blackmailing me?” Riaz added.

He did not, however, elaborate when the purported meetings took place, the purpose of these meetings or what transpired during them.

He did claim though that in some of the meetings he had with the chief justice, the incumbent registrar of the Supreme Court and Dr Arsalan Iftikhar, the chief justice’s son, were also present.

Meanwhile, during the meeting between the premier and the chief justice at the residence of Ahmed Khalil, another sitting judge was also present, Riaz added.

By now, Riaz had reached a crescendo.

“I am being pushed to the wall. Civil judges are being dictated orders against me. The chief justice has asked an FIA official to implicate me in a murder case. This judiciary is being run by a don,” he said.

He quickly added though: “I am not saying the chief justice is a don. Arsalan is a don. But I still respect the chief justice”.

Riaz said he knew the implications of what he was doing and was ready to go to jail or face contempt of court charges.

Asked if he had the backing of the president or some other institution, Riaz said he was not speaking at the behest of anyone else.

Questions for the CJP

He asked the chief justice to place the Holy Quran in front of himself and answer these three questions: “For how long have you [the chief justice] known the [Arsalan issue]? Why did you not take a suo motu then? Why did you take a suo motu only when the media broke the news?”

Promising to disclose more facts in ‘due time’, Riaz said: “I did not bribe anyone; I was being blackmailed.”

“Blackmailers were sent after me. Where should I go? Why was I being pushed into a blind alley?” he said.

Riaz added that a common friend went to the chief justice to tell him that his son is involved in wrongdoings, but the chief justice replied that “Malik Riaz is a blackmailer”.

Riaz said he wanted to speak inside the court but was not allowed to, during the proceedings.

“I did not go to buy justice from the court. Despite being blackmailed, I continued to bear all the troubles. I cannot see this country heading towards a collapse anymore. I have helped build it,” he said.

One on hand, Chaudhry Nisar has compelled me to wind up my business in Punjab, while on the other, they [chief justice et al] are pushing me into a blind alley, Riaz said.

He took another U-turn at the end, saying that the chief justice is innocent, and he respects him to this day.

He added that he wrote a book in 2007, during former president Pervez Musharraf’s regime, in favour of the chief justice, and “also offered him a bullet-proof vehicle for his safety.”

At the end, a perturbed Riaz left the press conference, without taking any further questions from journalists.

As a cliffhanger to the next episode, he added that he had disclosed what he had to, for today.

(Read: Father, son and Supreme Court)

Published In The Express Tribune, June 13th, 2012.

• a&a
    Jun 13, 2012 - 5:51AM

for how long there going to be a one way justice . . .???

• Babar
    Jun 13, 2012 - 5:54AM

How Malik Riaz got all that money. Did he pay any taxes on it?

• Chilli
    Jun 13, 2012 - 6:04AM

This seems fishy…Claims are cloudy and not that clear..Arsalan seems guilty but the whole episode is dangerous for the future of Pakistan.

• Asif Ali
    Jun 13, 2012 - 6:09AM

Rehman Malik, Shoaib Malik, Veena Malik & Now……………..Riaz Malik.

• Khan
    Jun 13, 2012 - 6:24AM

We have been trying to get in touch with Malik Riaz for last few months and we were being told that he is busy in meetings with President and Prime Minister. Now I know what was happening… Malik Riaz, may Allah give you and your co-conspirators what you deserve….

• Muhammad Rizwan Ali
    Jun 13, 2012 - 6:40AM

Living here in China, daily I read websites of different Newspapers of Pakistan.
    some time I feel why we are like this, why other nations not like us.
    This is limit, we have been talking about politicians more and more ,about their characters, their wealth, money, properties, their families affairs,their sons habbits, etc
    Now it come to so respectful people like CJ, now he may say, I am not after my son all the time, I have to do many things in court, I am very busy person.
    But living in same roof, how he is not aware of these, its true still not proved from court, but there must be any thing in these news.
    Malik Riaz, now he has made up big money, want to come in Politics, need to find some cheap way to come in Politics, he will do and doing.
    Any way, only Public will suffer
    God save us

• Rao
    Jun 13, 2012 - 6:57AM

Riaz Malik is playing dirty game,very well planed game,ultimately truth wil prevail no matter who pays the cost; Malik or CJ’s son

• Animal Farm - Desi
    Jun 13, 2012 - 7:00AM

Tragic, unfortunate, and regrettable…. We have become a laughing stock in the world and present ourselves as highly corrupt, uncivilised, and a bunch of hypocrites from top to bottom; all of us.Recommend

• Haris Chaudhry
    Jun 13, 2012 - 7:14AM

Let the ‘games’ begin….

• Babloo
    Jun 13, 2012 - 7:29AM

Mr Malik Riaz is doomed. Facts wont matter. I am surprised the court has not already put him on the exit control list. I think he will lose all his business and property. I hope he leaves Pakistan if he can, immediately. I say so given the history of the Pak state.

• asim
    Jun 13, 2012 - 7:31AM

TIME TO CREATE A “REVOLUTIONARY TRIBUNAL”—-To protect the interests of common people

• Nida Rehman
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:01AM

Who is behind this conspiracy?
    Who is gainning in this entire mud-slinging??
    Why is the media attention diverted from numerous high profile corruption cases???
    Is it a repitition of runaway dictator Musharraf’s misadventure????

• Yellow
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:05AM

I have an eerie feeling, Malik Riaz is telling the truth

• YP Toronto
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:32AM

What made RM wait for three years. He is too clever to be blackmailed.

• Ali
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:42AM

Where do you get these ridiculous pictures, ET?

• minhas
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:43AM

Riaz unknowingly uttered such words he was giuded and whatever he did was all very carefully plnned but a property dealer is still a dealer, nowhere near to the calibre of chief jusice . his son in law did all to come close to Arsalan in order to get favours and now alleging . Earlier he was not trapped but now fully.plz be a tax payer and then alleg others . CJ plz donot spare ur son if he is involved

• Mubashir
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:48AM

The CJ took action against his son when he learnt that his son may have violated the law

His son is an adult therefore, CJ is not responsible for his conduct.

The only way fingers can be pointed at the CJ is if he knew from months and months back what was going on why did he

fail to react then?

Whether Riaz is guilty or not has to be proven in court.

Till the courts decide we need to hold back our opinions and prove that we believe in rule of law and not rule of rumours

and accusations

• Not me
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:54AM

Malk Riaz has been bribing his way to richness. Time has come for him do business like an honest citizen

His press conference was ill advised and was scandalising the honourable court in my opinion.

• Ch Allah Daad
    Jun 13, 2012 - 8:58AM

We may not find the whole truth but one thing is good. Imran has disappeared from the media.

• Rehmat Ch.
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:09AM

@Khan You seem to be related to propaganda wing of PMLN or PTI.

• citizen
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:13AM

everywhere is deception, cheating, lies and treachery . Our home land is just in big big trouble :(

• Anwar
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:32AM

Wonder how media is carried away by the wild allegations of MR.

• Dinky Mind
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:34AM

There is a limit to corruption! But here everything seems so limitless! Highly shameful and disappointing

• Mohammd Ali Siddiqui
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:36AM

I am neither in NAB, nor in FIA, otherwise I would have investigated the matter personally against Malik Riaz and Arsalan to dig out the truth.

During my tenure with a law enforcing agency, my superiors have seen that time and gain I have proved my ability to trace many people, no matter if they have hided into graves and unfolded such matters that have no clue to trace at the beginning.

I have the the judiciary must be having such investigators who can dig out the truth from the allegations made against the CJP.

One thing I wonder, why CJP was not aware of his son’s activities, as what he was up to, when both of them were living in the same house and under one roof?

• Azhar
    Jun 13, 2012 - 9:56AM

It looks to be a triangular game, each corner is throwing mud and garbage on the others, beside many other hidden entities playing vocally or conspiringly to get some benefits. Sufferer is the surface on which this filthy game is being played. May God bless Pakistan.

• harkol
    Jun 13, 2012 - 10:21AM

CJ has no alternative but to resign till his name is cleared. A judiciary working under him can’t be impartial.

• JS
    Jun 13, 2012 - 10:51AM

….and while we watch this song & dance routine…..USD has hit 96, load-shedding increased to 20 hours, full scale war going on in karachi, full scale war going on in the Tribal Areas, Punjab rioting, International community not even shaking our Prez’s hand…….

• Zulfiqar Baig
    Jun 13, 2012 - 11:20AM

The question is why Riaz Malik jumped at this peak time when judiciary started taking aggressive actions against corrupt politicians. We must be cautious against any conspiracy theories. We would like to know the real bottom line story of this episode.

• Jun 13, 2012 - 12:30PM

malik. a friend of son of c.j. one wonders how historian will react.

• Straight-shooter
    Jun 14, 2012 - 2:16PM

Riaz Malik has put on fire his empire with his own hands by targeting the Judiciary. The empire will crumble in the coming days.