PESHAWAR: At least 19 people were killed and 20 injured in a blast on Charsadda Road in Peshawar on Friday.
Reports state that a bomb had targeted a bus of Civil Secretariat employees. Eyewitnesses said that up to 30 people were on board the bus when it was targeted.
The bomb disposal squad (BDS) reached the scene and began collecting evidence.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain confirmed the death toll.
Speaking to the media outside Lady Reading Hospital, Hussain said, “11 people are dead here. The bodies of four men, six women and one young girl are at this hospital.”
He said that 10 injured were currently under treatment at the hospital, out of which five were in critical condition.
Confirming reports from Charsaddah Hospital, the information minister said that 8 bodies had been taken there.
“Since the rear of the vehicle was affected the most in the explosion, the bomb might have been planted there and detonated remotely,” said Hussain.
Condeming the attack, the minister said, “Spreading fear and indulging in terrorism is the only reason for such an act.”
“We are in favour of talks but if they (terrorists) refuse, we will be forced to take action against them,” said Hussain.