Ward safety: 6 babies die in hospital fire

Published: June 8, 2012
Email
LAST REPAIR: 1987
was the last time when the
electrical wiring were
repaired at Services Hospital. PHOTO: ABID NAWAZ/EXPRESS

LAST REPAIR: 1987 was the last time when the electrical wiring were repaired at Services Hospital. PHOTO: ABID NAWAZ/EXPRESS

Fire started due to a short circuit in the wiring of an AC unit, spread as
oxygen supply to the incubators helped it on. PHOTO: ABID NAWAZ/EXPRESS LAST REPAIR: 1987
was the last time when the
electrical wiring were
repaired at Services Hospital. PHOTO: ABID NAWAZ/EXPRESS
LAHORE: 

At least six infants died and one suffered critical burns in a fire at the nursery ward of Services Hospital on Thursday.

Additional Medical Superintendent Dr Saleem Cheema told The Express Tribune that one of the deceased had apparently died before the fire started. He said six newborns were burned in the incident. Of these, he said, five later died at the intensive care unit (ICU) where they were moved for treatment. He said the other infant was in a critical condition at the ICU. The rest suffered minor burns and were out of danger, he added.

There were 24 infants in the nursery when the fire erupted, he said.

Rescue 1122 officials told The Express Tribune that they had moved 17 babies, between two-days and two-months old, from the nursery.

They said fire had started at around 3:15pm due to an electric short-circuit in an air-conditioning unit. They said the mattress next to the air-conditioning unit caught fire first, spreading it later to rest of the room. The flames intensified helped by the oxygen supply to the incubators, they added.

Rescue officials said the use of fire extinguishers available at the hospital could have restricted the damage from the fire. They said fire extinguishers were meant for such emergencies and regretted that no one had thought about using them to put out the fire.

Some of the babies were rescued by the relatives when fire started.

Muhammad Ashraf, a resident of Tokhar Naiz Bag, said he and his brother rescued his newborn nephew and a couple of other babies from the inferno. He said nurses working at the nursery fled the scene instead of moving babies to the ICU. He said rescue and fire fighting were mostly left to the relatives of the infants until Rescue 1122 officials arrived.

Rao Javeed, a Garden Town resident, another person who claimed to have participated in the rescue work also accused the hospital staff of negligence. He said none of the staff had tried to put out the fire.

Talking to the media, AMS Cheema denied that hospital staff did not take rescue operation seriously. He said the first priority of the staff was to rescue the babies. He said three security guards had suffered burns in the rescue effort. They were given first aid at the hospital, he added.

To a question on the condition of electrical wiring at the hospital, The AMS said it was last repaired in 1987.

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, who had reached the hospital to monitor rescue work, said a team had been formed to probe the incident. He said its findings would help put in place measures to avoid such accidents in future.

District Coordination Officer Noorul Amin Mengal said he was satisfied with the hospital staff’s response to the fire.

Commissioner Lahore Jawad Raffique Malik, DIG (Operations) Rai Tahir, SSP (Operations) Baber Bakht Qureshi and SP (Model Town) Ather Waheed also accompanied the chief minister at the hospital.

Published In The Express Tribune, June 8th, 2012.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (8)

  • Caution
    Jun 8, 2012 - 8:51AM

    Very very heart breaking!!

    Recommend

  • munazza sami
    Jun 8, 2012 - 10:28AM

    RIP those babies………really very very sad news

    Recommend

  • Rana
    Jun 8, 2012 - 11:05AM

    Same day M.S. was summoned by Speaker Punjab Assembly for many accounts of complaints lodged by MPAs. Sounds very strange!!

    Allah All Mighty may shower his blessing for the grieved families.

    Recommend

  • Syed
    Jun 8, 2012 - 2:06PM

    Its height of negligence !!!
    A simple Tripping-Switch installed at the electric board can prevent any electrical damage no matter how crappy the wiring is.
    And these switches cost from 200-400 Rupees with capacity to cater 6-7 rooms each.
    The hospital administration, should be sued on private account not on hospital account along with the saftey inspector of the area.only then people will start taking this thing seriously.

    Recommend

  • Syed
    Jun 8, 2012 - 2:07PM

    @ Rana,
    What/ Who is M.S. ??

    Recommend

  • JAM
    Jun 8, 2012 - 4:25PM

    “fire extinguishers were meant for such emergencies and regretted that no one had thought about using them to put out the fire.”

    we must learn from such incidents. emergency response trainings and regular drill must be conducted in hospitals and schools. once upon a time NCC training was conducted in schools. that trainings were meant to reduce the damage in case of such incidents.

    Recommend

  • Harris
    Jun 11, 2012 - 9:16AM

    We burn our infants alive!

    9 Infants cherish in fire at Lahore services hospital. I am predicting that the staff, which has always been irresponsible, arrogant and highly rude towards the patients in government hospitals would have been the first to ran after the fire. I wish someone, someone out of all those heroic Pakistanis would have at least tried to save the 2-3 days old infants, who couldn’t tell their tale, scream for help neither could have moved by themselves to save their life. They just lied there burning while the management ran. I have been sleepless since the incident.
    There was a 3 foot corridor which . They would be cursing us, cursing the whole nation for the sort of greetings we have in store for even our new borns. Our old are homeless, our children are on the streets, our young are jobless and our infants are burnt alive.

    Recommend

More in Punjab