Family gets diarrhea after consuming contaminated 'lassi'

Published: March 26, 2012
25 members of a family fall sick after consuming foul lassi.

25 members of a family fall sick after consuming foul lassi.

TAUNSA: A drink of morning lassi (buttermilk) went ‘sour’ for 25 members of three familes in Taunsa when they got severely ill after consuming it. According to details provided by the hospital, the family only had lassi in the morning.

Talking to The Express Tribune, Dr Arif of THQ Taunsa said that the affected family members were suffering from diarrhea and were vomiting blood.

On hearing their cries for help, residents and neighbours in the area shifted them to THQ Taunsa. According to their neighbours, ladies and children were in critical condition.

MA THQ Taunsa Dr Sher Muhammad Khosa immediately attended to the family, declaring an emergency in the hospital.

“They are all out of danger. The reason was the lassi they had consumed in the morning which definitely had some dirt in the vessels, maybe because they had not been cleaned properly,” said Dr Khosa, adding that the family would be kept under observation for the next 24 hours.

Talking to The Express Tribune, one of the family members, Amna said, “I had prepared the lassi with my mother Ayesha but I do not know what went wrong.”

Facebook Conversations

More in Punjab