I will quit politics if proved ISI funded PTI: Imran

Published: February 2, 2012
Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan has said that he will quit politics if it is proven that his party has been funded by the Inter-Services Intelligence agency.

KARACHI: Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan has thrown down the gauntlet, that he will quit politics if it is proven that his party has been funded by the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency.

Ever since his party’s massive rallies in Lahore and Karachi, critics have questioned where the PTI is getting its money from. Many say it is an ‘establishment’ darling and is receiving funding from intelligence agencies.

“I will quit politics if proved that the ISI funded PTI (sic),” Imran wrote on microblogging website Twitter on Thursday.

Imran and other leaders from his party, including Shah Mahmood Qureshi, have claimed that the party receives generous funding from overseas Pakistanis, like Imran’s other successful projects such as Namal College in Imran’s home constituency Mianwali and the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital in Lahore.

Imran further wrote that his party will never allow the use of Pakistan Army against the country’s own people. “We need to stop this War on Terror which in effect is a war of terror orchestrated by the US (sic),” he wrote.

• Rana
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:14PM

Imran i TRUST you

• hammad
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:15PM

It has still not been ‘proved’ that ISI funded the PML or NS or the religious right-wing parties. Just saying..

• Lobster
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:18PM

Any other leader dare to say the same?

• rizwan
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:19PM

sir imran khan zindabad.

• Ali Tanoli
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:26PM

Jaye imran khan ji..

• blithe
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:32PM

Can we get financial disclosure in terms of PTI’s balance sheet and PnL statement?

I want to see the extent of overseas Pakistanis funding PTI.

• One
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:33PM

Whatever!!! I am not a big fan of IK. But i want to give him a chance.

• Feb 2, 2012 - 8:39PM

TRUST, Thy name is “Imran Khan”.

• Raj - USA
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:47PM

@Tehreek-e-Insaf FATA:
    As Ronald Reagan said about USSR: Trust But Verify.

• Mohammad Ali Siddiqui
    Feb 2, 2012 - 8:50PM

Dear Imran Khan:

You don’t have to quit politics as no body on earth can prove that PTI has been funded by ISI.

• King
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:02PM

Why only PTI??..all parties should disclose their funding and financial sources.

• Shaan
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:08PM

I am an overseas Pakistani and I support IK .I believe 90% of overseas Pakistanis support IK..PPP and PMLN have been tried and test.edThey have no credibility whatsoever and are responsible Pakistan’s plight.IK is an honest and credible leader.I urge all Pakistanis to vote for him.

• shak
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:26PM

all the losers doubting the oversees donations, I gave 500 dollars and at least half a dozen of my friends gave that much money and pretty much everyone that i know in my community is committed to their cause.

One of my friend’s relative sold his house and gave half of the profit of more than 100,000 dollars to PTI.

All of us are not doing it to have ulterior motives but to support someone who wants a better future for pakistan.

• Zahid
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:38PM

Who dares to investigate any funding by ISI. Only history will prove what games had been played with the people of Pakistan.

• workforce
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:38PM

I’ll quit voting if ISI funding proved to me..Recommend

• Mirza
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:43PM

IK is right about not receiving ISI funds in General Aslam Beg’s era. PTI was a non factor at that time and there was no reason that ISI would “waste” any money on PTI/IK. Having said that, what would PTI and IK do when it is proved in SC that the parties/politicians joining the PTI did receive funds from ISI?

• Bangash Khan
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:48PM

My next Prime Minister :)

• Seema Shaikh
    Feb 2, 2012 - 9:56PM

@blithe well said

I wonder when he calls for accountability of all politician for their alleged corruption, when will he be given in for his moral and ethical corruption,(ruined the career of Qasim Omar,and many other cricketers, and used up 92’s world cup’s win money in SKMH without consent of his team mates, and so called muslim can he tell his voters about seeta white scandal in which.he proved guilty,in American court.) Recommend

• Angel
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:01PM

I donate $10 every month to PTI. and I am sure there are thousands of others. The balance sheet is availabe on http://www.insaf.pk
    I guess Ferguson does the auditing for PTI.

• sick of this nonsense
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:14PM

The “own people” are not standing with their hands folded. They are killing innocent people left right and center. When will IK realize this?

• ashok sai
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:17PM

Captain, you don’t have to wait for others to prove, just show the source of income for the mass rallies. In other words, don’t try to be innocent until proven guilty, just prove that you are innocent.

• Dr Pakhtun
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:17PM

I am an overseas Pakistan and NOT a supporter of Imran Khan. However, 70-80 % of the overseas Pakistanis I know are supporting Imran Khan and donating to Tehrik Insaf regularly.

• Was a Pakistani
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:27PM

@blithe:
    Very valid demand… Stop making statement and allow independent auditors. Let us all see how many expats funded youRecommend

• amir
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:32PM

Immi i TRUST you.

• butt jee
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:42PM

We believe your word. These are the defeatist elements of PML(N) and PPP who are leveling baseless allegations.

• IsmailTara
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:47PM

TRUST: now with sidewalls to prevent leakages.

• Enlightened
    Feb 2, 2012 - 10:53PM

I live in USA. I do think Imran has a big ego and I perhaps will never become a member of PTI. However you play with the cards you have and for now, Imran Khan is the best available choice that Pakistanis have. So, till I see someone better and more effective, I will morally and financially support his cause. Also, he is right in saying majority of Pakistani Americans support his cause as a matter of fact I have never met any single educated soul who would support Shareefs or Zardaris…

• Feb 2, 2012 - 10:57PM

Of Course he knows ISI will never admit it in SC, before any commission, or publicly that it funded political parties, Good trick Imran

• Kashif Iqbal
    Feb 2, 2012 - 11:19PM

Will you have a second option other than quitting, Mr. Khan?

• Let Sanity Prevail
    Feb 2, 2012 - 11:28PM

IK is a good man;I have no qualms about that.Infact he is better a man than any Sharif or Zardari.But he is talking illogical;making no sense and doesn’t know what he is saying.He is confused in his concepts on democracy;quotes democracy as the best dynamic system and then cites Mahatir Mohammad as an example.That is absurd!Mahatir Mohammad was a pure dictator albiet a good one.Similarly IK has time and again contradicted his own statements.He presents a Khilafat model and then talks about Scandinavian democracy systems:both being completely different.God knows how he wants to gel both in together.
    The most troublesome part is his affiliation with the likes of Taliban and now the recent drama of ‘difae Pakistan’ which he supported via a message.That is worrying considering the fact that Malik Ishaq attended this convention .Shias will have to run for their lives or we could face civil trouble if people resort to fighting if IK is vouching for extremists such as these.Moreover,the posh families of Karachi will have to make their girls sit in houses if IK makes a coalition with these.
    So people first weigh everything and then decide.Its not a fun bandwagon which we are riding here;its about running a country.Recommend

• ahmad
    Feb 2, 2012 - 11:29PM

@ colonel….its not a trick, its daring of truth man!!.. still doesnt matter if ISI comes farward or not bc hes challenging everyone to dare get thier best in it & guess what, none will be found bc there is none!!

• Ahmed Malik
    Feb 2, 2012 - 11:30PM

@blithe: Looks like you are a 1st year Business student. Its a Political party, not a public limited company that you are asking for PnL statement and Balance Sheet. Recommend

• Hafeez
    Feb 3, 2012 - 12:07AM

As far as integrity and honesty is concerned, IK has no match in current batch of politicians. But what really concerns me is his childish view of the ground realities. For instance, he says that once USA leaves Afghanistan and stops drone strikes, there will be no more terrorism and that taliban will surrender their arms and become good kids. It is really hard to digest. Another thing that concerns me is that he is a vocal supporter of blocking supply routes to Nato (mostly with musical concerts though) but he refrains from criticizing the security establishment which actually allowed these routes to Nato. Instead he tries to blame the present government for all the support to Nato and war on terror.

• Saleem
    Feb 3, 2012 - 12:08AM

Meaningless statement. in the land of the pure you can never prove anything against the isi or army.

• Feb 3, 2012 - 12:10AM

asghar khan case will unveil the truth

• Loyal to Pakistan
    Feb 3, 2012 - 12:39AM

He is right and we all know that.

• Alam
    Feb 3, 2012 - 12:55AM

PTI’s expenses and income should be public.

• usman
    Feb 3, 2012 - 1:04AM

I, as an overseas Pakistan, will vouch for Imran Khan here. I have gotten over 350 people in Canada to become paid members of PTI for $10/month, that is $3500/month (or 297,500 Rs/month) by my contribution alone. There are thousands of young overseas Pakistanis like myself who are increasing party’s paid-memberships in countries like USA, Canada, UK, Australia, UAE, and Saudi Arabia.

PTI’s goal, until last year, was to have about 5000 paid members to fund offices in every constituency. By judging the number of people who have been supporting PTI like myself, does not surprise me about the funding PTI has been receiving… to not only operate all it’s offices but to also hold HUGE rallies like the ones we saw in Lahore and Karachi.

Imran Khan is for real, the sooner you accept that, the sooner we will elevate Pakistan to become a global player in world economies.

• usman
    Feb 3, 2012 - 1:09AM

@ashok sai

He has already declared sources of PTI funding on the website insaf.pk.

• fayyaz
    Feb 3, 2012 - 1:36AM

imran, is fully trusted on our behalf,
    only you can save our country after god.
    from scotland, uk

• munis sargani
    Feb 3, 2012 - 1:51AM

everyone knws he is funded by isiRecommend

• Aviator
    Feb 3, 2012 - 2:06AM

I like IK, I have no doubt when he says he wants to change Pakistan for the better, that he means it, the way he set up SKM hospital is solid proof of his convictions.

I agree with his overall policy goals and strategies.

BUT, I have nagging doubts in my mind.

First, his backing for the ISI, I find very worrying. Because the ISI are supporting the taliban, and if this continues, will threaten the very existence of pakistan, I fear.

What vision does he have for pakistani society? A moderate Islamic society like turkey? Or one more like saudi arabia?

Lastly, he STILL hasnt laid out his policy prescriptions in detail. In the UK, opposition parties lay out their policies, point by point, in the run up to a general election. Overall visions and goals are not enough.

I WANT to beleive in IK, I hope he can put my mind at ease with regards to the ISI, and some more detailed insights for how he is going to run the country.

• Zain Farooq
    Feb 3, 2012 - 2:30AM

I am an international student in Canada from Pakistan. Moved here a couple of years ago. I pay my own mammoth tuition fee by working odd jobs as I don’t have a very well to do family background and I am a PAYING overseas member of PTI. $10 are taken off my chequing account every month which I, in my own capacity, can afford.
    I just want to express the level of trust that overseas Pakistanis have in IK and are hoping that one day we experience the CHANGE that he elaborates in his speeches and interviews.

• Sidd
    Feb 3, 2012 - 3:16AM

Make way for the Captain !

• Shane Hashmi
    Feb 3, 2012 - 3:33AM

If I am told that a person who has built a hospital and a university exclusively for the poor and is asking for donations to help rebuild the country, I would consider myself a fool not to trust that person. Unfortunately some people just love to hate regardless.

• Doosam
    Feb 3, 2012 - 3:33AM

Zardari will also quit politics if proven that he is involved in corruption

• Adnan
    Feb 3, 2012 - 4:13AM

Sir Imran Khan is right. I live in Canada and everybody here supports Imran Khan. We have seen the Bhuttos and Sharifs. They run these parties like family properties and think they ‘own’ Pakistan. Look at the Shaukat Khanum hospital and Namal college. I have been to Shaukat Khanum and can tell you poor people and rich people have to stand in the same lines. And yes, there are thousands of generous supporters for Imran Khan in Canada. PTI is Pakistan’s ONLY political party that is not ethnic based. Mose educated people respect it even when they are not part of it. It is the ONLY party that is not armed or employs goons.
    So, dear Pakistanis, PLEASE O PLEASE, don’t mess up this time. Nawaz Sharif is corrupt. Zardari is corrupt. Altaf Hussein runs a mafia, not a political party. SAVE PAKISTAN! This is the last chance we have.
    God bless Imran Khan! May he lead Pakistan to prosperity!
    Please pray for stability in Balochistan as well!!!

• Nauman
    Feb 3, 2012 - 4:21AM

@blithe:
    dude PTI is not a publicly traded company or entity that it owes a breakdown of its assets or PnL. Its a political organization and much like many other political parties, the structure isn’t that of a company. I agree with your point of understanding where the funds come from, the PTI branch in the US will provide you detailed information of where every cent was collected from and then dispersed to PTI (Pak). They’re in the process of doing the same in Pakistan.

• Salam
    Feb 3, 2012 - 4:59AM

AOA, In Pakistan i am searching for person named “ethics” and ironically i found it among the people which are involved in politics for the money, by the money and of the money.Honestly i ve no affiliations with any party of Pakistan but i am kind of investor and three months back i got an offer from a official source. According to it, i had to select a person in my constituency for PTI and invest on him………but i refused and the rest you can assess.

• Umer
    Feb 3, 2012 - 6:33AM

I will quit politics if proved ISI
    funded PTI: Imran

Imran didn’t’ say PTI was not funded by ISI , he simply said its not provable.

• Proud Pakistani
    Feb 3, 2012 - 8:36AM

I love ISI and my army. We are proud to have them to safe them from our enemies. Don’t believe the media propoganda against ISI and army. They just US to attack Pakistan that is why trying thier level best to make us believe that our army and ISI is na-ahal. Long live our army and ISI and long live Pakistan!

• Was a Pakistani
    Feb 3, 2012 - 8:54AM

@Nauman:
    Brother check the world… Check US primaries and you will world over the political parties are audited ask him to conduct an audit and stop these standard challenging behavior. He is turning 60 doesn’t have alot left before he can be bankable.

• Was a Pakistani
    Feb 3, 2012 - 8:54AM

@Adnan:
    We are ready to send him to Canada and you can elect him there.

• Muhammad Talha
    Feb 3, 2012 - 9:10AM

Nothing is yet proved on anyone, its just allegation, khan sb will accept within few years. Just wait

• Feb 3, 2012 - 9:19AM

why is he worried all the time about people blame – he must concentrate on his motives – there be no fear from outside, be serious in objective – its no use always proclaiming your conduct………………!

• Ali
    Feb 3, 2012 - 9:35AM

We trust, you deliver. (Insha Allah)

• Abid
    Feb 3, 2012 - 9:54AM

@shak: @angel & Many Others. I think you all are saying truth.
    I haven’t Joined PTI yet. But In my opinion What IK is saying is True. He is as human as anybody else but I think he is not a Hypocrite. He want to do what he believe and in current lot of politicians he is the only one who we can trust till he not shattered our ‘Dreams of Change’. I will vote him subjec tto his choice of candidates.

• RizwanTKhan
    Feb 3, 2012 - 10:22AM

King Khan!

• Rt. Rev. Wrong
    Feb 3, 2012 - 10:22AM

Why is Imran so smug?
    Simple!
    He knows that no one lives to tell the tale!
    Saleem Shazad would testify to that.

• hijab
    Feb 3, 2012 - 10:55AM

we luv u nd trust u nd never let u down…

• Feb 3, 2012 - 11:42AM

Respect for Kaptaan!!!

• Muddassir
    Feb 3, 2012 - 4:45PM

@blithe: very good point, by the way when will u ask the same from PMLN and PPP who ARE IN POWER and using our taxes

I am really glad to see that this kind of accountability is being demanded from a nation that has been voting corrupts in power for the last six decades.Recommend

• hamid khan
    Feb 3, 2012 - 8:21PM

Neither provable nor PTI is funded by the said….But in PML-N case, so they are exposed that they had taken almost 3.5 million at that time…Stop criticism and let the revolution come!!

• Asim Ahmad
    Feb 3, 2012 - 9:28PM

Expatriate Pakistani love and trust him as much as our Pakistani brothers in home country. We are supporting him financially and morally. We will try our best to convince our brothers at home to vote PTI, who ever runs from constituency. Kaptaan Ko Salam

• Muhammad Tariq
    Feb 4, 2012 - 10:01AM

If not funding, then how about some arm-twisting of politicians to join PTI

• Mike
    Feb 4, 2012 - 9:23PM

If the Pakistani military wouldn’t be used against the country’s own people, then why is there so much fear over another Military Coup? For that matter, why did President Musharraf have to go in the first place?

• Raheem Bukhsh
    Feb 4, 2012 - 9:53PM

Well thats something ethical surely

• A S
    Feb 6, 2012 - 1:25PM

imran khan should otherwise leave politices as he is not capable even

• Fareed
    Feb 7, 2012 - 4:28PM

I don’t get it. In every talk show PMLN and PPP members talk about PTI being funded by the ISI. If it is true why don’t they prove it and throw Imran Khan out of politics????????

Is it that difficult to understand? Prove that Imran Khan is funded by ISI and you will not have any Imran Khan anymore and thus no PTI.

1+1 = 2

• AIM
    Feb 8, 2012 - 1:29PM

Imran Khan is needed..no one else could put Pakistan back on track..but I see a danger in this statement of his..it could lead to the fabrication of false document, statements that: yes he did receive funding..Imran is seen as a danger to the way things are..Greed is a thing which sits deep within the heart of man..and with enough money anything can be bought..including false testimony..so care has to be taken..and he has to be careful and not get to cocky or it could backfire and Pakistan cannot afford to lose him. He is the only one who has the ability to “fix” the country..JMHO

• adnan jabbar
    Mar 3, 2012 - 2:08AM

I do not know I S I is funding to P T I or not if I S I is funding to P T I so what is the problem with all Others major parties, Pakistanis have seen last sixty years the corruption, unemployment,3 wars with india including Kargil,2 wars as a partner with americans in afaghanistan our education System, Our health System, Law & order System & many more. Where we stand after sixty years Even our political parties making correct 1973 constitution after 31 years Pakistanis have tried all the parties in 60 years now this is the time to give chance to P T I chairman imran khan due to only one reason because if he says after becoming prime minister he will do half the things which he said so that would be 100% development in Pakistan History So if I S I is funding to P T I others political parties would have problem for powers but not a single Pakistani.