Cruise ‘excited’ to be in India

By AFP
Published: December 4, 2011
Hollywood actor Tom Cruise visits the Taj Mahal in Agra, accompanied by Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor. PHOTO: AFP

NEW DEHLI: Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise arrived in New Delhi on December 3 to promote the fourth instalment of his blockbuster Mission: Impossible series.

Sporting a big grin and sunglasses, the actor who is on a worldwide promotional tour for the movie, told reporters in the Indian capital he was “very excited to be here” as cameramen jostled to film him.

Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor, Cruise’s co-star in the upcoming Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol was accompanying him to the northern city of Agra where the pair was to visit the Taj Mahal, India’s most famous monument to love, media reports said.

Cruise, 49, will also be heading to Bollywood capital Mumbai where he will mingle with the bigwigs of the city’s film and financial communities at a glitzy bash to be held on Sunday. “I can’t wait for tonight,” he said. The guest list for the party includes India’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani, as well as Bollywood’s leading stars such as Aamir Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Katrina Kaif, according to the Times of India.

Cruise, who plays intelligence agent Ethan Hunt in the stunt-packed movie, will also host a fan screening in Mumbai, nearly two weeks before the film is officially released in India.

The Mission: Impossible film series has so far grossed $2 billion worldwide. The three earlier installments, released in 1996, 2000 and 2006, were inspired by the Mission: Impossible TV series which aired in the mid-1960s.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 5th, 2011.

• Adnan
    Dec 4, 2011 - 9:05PM

‘excited’- most over-used word in the American vocabulary

• Safin
    Dec 4, 2011 - 9:36PM

Tom..welcome to India..

• Dec 4, 2011 - 10:36PM

MI 4: Cruise an ISI agent goes to india to protect his love interest, Veena Malik.

• Khan
    Dec 4, 2011 - 11:07PM

Tom, we are sending a Pakistani delegation to Mumbai, don’t you worry!

• Fawad
    Dec 5, 2011 - 1:29AM

Thumbs up if you agree that Anil is fed-up with Bollywood maslaa. Wants to jump in Hollywood for his fame.

• Patrik
    Dec 5, 2011 - 2:04AM

@Khan:
    That ‘joke’ is in very bad taste sir.(i assume you are referring to 26/11 Mumbai attack)

• Dec 5, 2011 - 8:07AM

India will soon be a bigger market for English Movies from Hollywood than the US. It already has the 2nd biggest English speaking population in the whole World.

The largest English News publication is an Indian one, so you can imagine.

This wont happen tomorrow but some 2 to 3 decades from now. India will not only have its own myriad of Movie Industries but will also have Hollywood to woe it. You gotta love India!

• My name is indian
    Dec 5, 2011 - 8:28AM

I love Tom cruise movie.

• Americano
    Dec 5, 2011 - 11:20AM

He can probably feel tall for the first time in his life.

• Dec 5, 2011 - 12:31PM

@Americano:

Haha! Thats actually very funny.

He will also feel a little dumber, considering the IQ of an average Indian.

• Maratha
    Dec 5, 2011 - 1:22PM

The great INDIA

• JustAnotherPakistani
    Dec 5, 2011 - 1:27PM

Yes, especially the funky English spoken there: “I am to be telling for sure.”. Much wagging of the head. I’m to be upgradation of English, Yes sir I’m Pandy, Bollywood number 1.

• Americano
    Dec 5, 2011 - 5:52PM

“He will also feel a little dumber, considering the IQ of an average Indian.”

What am I to make of that? Is this just sheer arrogance? Or do you really think the average Indian IQ is that high? Surprising whenever I’ve been in Bombay I’ve found malnourished people, sleeping and defacating on the streets. Any crappy job that we’d rather not do we get your “high IQ” population to do.

• mirror image
    Dec 5, 2011 - 6:34PM

Uncle Sam has sent their spies to get some money out of Indian market . Showing Anil Kapoor for just 5 mins in the movie , they are taking 5 times the money they used to in the past .

• Dec 5, 2011 - 7:08PM

@JustAnotherPakistani:

sour grapes.

• somy
    Dec 5, 2011 - 7:40PM

@Americano:
    somethings burning? haha, nice reply by bruteforce. may be now you can think yourself as tom cruise..Recommend

• Yuri Kondratyuk
    Dec 5, 2011 - 8:11PM

@Americano:

Surprising whenever I’ve been in
    Bombay I’ve found malnourished people,
    sleeping and defacating on the
    streets. Any crappy job that we’d
    rather not do we get your “high IQ”
    population to do

But Sir, are you aware that US companies is increasingly employing Indian and Chinese H1B visa holders for typically high IQ jobs like engineering? This is not counting people of Indian origin working at tech giants like IBM, Google, Sun, Intel etc. or even NASA.

Indian Americans place at about 112 on a bell-shaped IQ distribution, with white Americans at 100. 112 is the 79th percentile of the white distribution. For more context, consider that Ashkenazi Jews are a famously intelligent ethnic group, and their mean IQ is somewhere around 110

Doesn’t that make you less smarter than all the malnourished people, sleeping and defecating on the streets that you are so interested in making fun of ? If it doesn’t make you feel so, it’s because you lack IQ.

• Gullible Nomore
    Dec 5, 2011 - 9:29PM

@Americano:
    Do you even have jobs in US now?

• Americano
    Dec 5, 2011 - 10:31PM

Yes I know all about H-1B visas. I used to run a company that would import software engineers from around the world, India included. I’d sooner have hired Americans, who were always more creative and smarter (and didn’t have cultural problems), but there weren’t enough to go around and the competition was fierce. So it’s just a numbers game. Your statistics about IQ are meaningless because of the sample size and the type of population involved. Let me know when there is a line at the Indian embassy in D.C of Americans looking for work in India and those who’re willing to live 4 or 5 to an apartment in Bombay.
    BTW my top engineers came from the Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Ireland, Estonia, Latvia, Singapore, Taiwan and PRC. The only advantage that the Indians offered was a) they were lots of them b) they spoke English.

• JustAnotherPakistani
    Dec 5, 2011 - 10:59PM

I can never tell when an Indian is saying yes or no. When they agree with you the head goes left to right rather than up and down. What’s one to make of that? Here’s a conversation I had with an Indian colleague:

My phone rings.
    Indian: “Are you sitting on your desk?”
    Me: Stumped “No on my chair.”
    Indian: “Okay. I’m coming to see you. I thought you were out of station”
    Me: “I maybe out of pocket but no stations here. What about?”
    Indian: “I want to talk to you about the upgradation of the servers”
    Me: “That isn’t until the weekend”
    Indian: “I want to Prepone it”

• Yuri Kondratyuk
    Dec 6, 2011 - 10:21AM

@Americano:

I used to run a company that would
    import software engineers from around
    the world, India included

Guess you don’t run the company any more and I am not surprised.

• abhi
    Dec 6, 2011 - 10:59PM

Anil Kapoor is looking better than Tom Cruise in this picture.

More in Film