TODAY’S PAPER | August 24, 2026 | EPAPER

Iran dismisses new sanctions threat

.


Agencies August 24, 2026 2 min read
Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Photo: Reuters/ File

DUBAI/ TEHRAN:

Iran on Sunday dismissed threatened new US sanctions as a sign of desperation, saying Washington's measures would fail, while warning countries joining the American "economic war" against Tehran would be considered enemies.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the expected sanctions showed that Washington had moved from military operations to "the same old" plans. "The fact that they have moved on from military operations ... to bring up the same old plans shows that they are desperate," Araghchi said.

in a video posted on Telegram, Araghchi said Washington should engage with Tehran respectfully to find "a solution based on justice and honour", adding that Iran had never been afraid of blockades or military moves and that the latest US measures would also fail.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is due to hold a press conference on Monday (today), where he is expected to announce new measures against Iran. He has threatened to impose "the toughest sanctions in history" on Tehran.

Iran's economy is already under heavy pressure from international sanctions, while its infrastructure has been repeatedly hit and thousands of people have been killed in airstrikes since the United States and Israel launched attacks on the Islamic Republic on February 28.

Despite the pressure, Tehran has remained defiant and has brought shipping to a virtual standstill in the Strait of Hormuz, refusing to allow unauthorised oil tankers to transit the waterway vital for global oil shipments. The effective blockade has pushed up global oil prices.

Iranian Supreme National Security Council head Mohsen Rezai on Saturday warned countries against joining Washington's campaign to isolate Iran's economy. "We declare to all countries... do not join the economic war waged by the United States," Rezai said on state television.

He warned that any country participating in economic restrictions against Iran would be considered an enemy, saying that countries refusing to distance themselves from the United States would face action against their interests. "Should Trump take action, our confrontation will be like an earthquake," he added.

Rezai stressed that Iran has more options available in the conflict. "So far, we have only targeted military bases, but if they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil and economic companies around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them," Rezai said.

US President Donald Trump has warned of economic consequences against any country providing "any type of lifeline to Iran", while Bessent has urged China to cooperate with Washington. China buys more than 80% of Iran's shipped oil, according to 2025 data from analytics firm Kpler.

 

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ