PM urges 'frank' dialogue on Balochistan issues

CDF Asim Munir warns foreign-sponsored designs will be defeated

ISLAMABAD:

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Friday called for a "grand, frank and meaningful dialogue" to address Balochistan's legitimate grievances, while Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir stressed peace, stability and a decisive state response to foreign-sponsored threats.

Addressing participants of the Balochistan National Workshop, the prime minister said the federal government was committed to ensuring the province's equitable development and prosperity and that its legitimate concerns should be addressed through dialogue and mutual consultation rather than violence.

Shehbaz said it was "never too late" to address outstanding issues and called for a dialogue in which all legitimate concerns could be brought to the table. He categorically rejected violence and the targeting of innocent people in the name of grievances.

He said Balochistan was endowed with vast mineral and natural resources. "The mineral wealth and assets belong first and foremost to the people of Balochistan," he said, adding that the resources should be developed in a manner that enabled the province's people to benefit first, followed by the rest of Pakistan.

The prime minister acknowledged that Balochistan faced legitimate problems, saying its vast geographical area and long distances between population centres presented genuine challenges in providing roads, schools, hospitals, healthcare and other facilities.

He said the solution lay in fair distribution of available resources and greater cooperation between the federation and the province. "If there are any problems and challenges, they should be resolved through mutual consultation," he said.

He stressed that workers, teachers, engineers and others contributing to Balochistan's development could not be made victims of terrorism, adding that terrorism in Balochistan and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) remained a major challenge.

"Terrorists are, however, working to sabotage and destroy the peace by killing innocent people," Shehbaz said, stressing that development and security had to move forward together. "If terrorists continue to kill people day and night, not even an inch of road can be constructed," he warned.

He said a decision had been taken after consultation with Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir and that the federal government had retained the provincial share from the reduction in petroleum prices to finance the project. Work on the project had already commenced, he added.

The prime minister said the state regarded all four provinces as equal parts of one country and had a responsibility to provide citizens with security, education, healthcare and opportunities for prosperity. "Pakistan's development will only be complete when all four provinces move forward together," he said.

Shehbaz also highlighted the strategic importance of Gwadar Port. He said he had taken steps during the previous Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) government to increase utilisation of the port and directed that 60% of the federal government's imports should be routed through Gwadar.

Shehbaz urged Balochistan's political leadership, civil society and other stakeholders to share responsibility for protecting development projects and ensuring that resources allocated for public welfare were utilised effectively. He stressed that differences should be addressed through dialogue.

Separately, during an interaction with notables and political leadership of Balochistan, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir said the present and future of Balochistan and Pakistan were "one and forever", stressing that enduring peace and stability were fundamental to unlocking the province's economic potential.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Munir highlighted that Balochistan was blessed with "talented, resilient, patriotic and proud people" and said empowering its youth and providing them with opportunities to contribute to national progress remained central to sustainable development.

"There is no dearth of talent or opportunities amongst the youth of Balochistan, who remain the most vibrant and promising segment of our society," Field Marshal Asim Munir said.

He emphasised that a clear national narrative and enduring peace and stability were fundamental to attracting investment and translating Balochistan's abundant human and natural resources into tangible prosperity for its people.

According to ISPR, Field Marshal Munir said "Fitna al Khawarij and Fitna al Hindustan are foreign-sponsored proxies being employed by hostile elements" to destabilise Balochistan, obstruct its development and create a wedge between the state and its people.

"These inimical designs will be defeated through the collective resolve of the nation and an unwavering, resolute and decisive response by the state," he reiterated. He also appreciated the role of Balochistan's notables and society leaders in promoting peace, strengthening social cohesion and advancing constructive national discourse.

He stressed the need to counter hostile propaganda, expose false narratives and project the true potential, progress and aspirations of Balochistan and its people "holistically and without hesitation". He underscored that "the destiny of Balochistan rests only in the hands of the people of Balochistan".

The notables and participants reaffirmed their commitment to peace, development and prosperity in Balochistan and Pakistan. They resolved to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with the state and armed forces against all foreign-sponsored threats to peace and stability.

They also expressed their resolve to contribute towards people-centric development leading to a peaceful, stable and prosperous Balochistan, where "only truth shall prevail" and the narrative of inimical forces would be buried in its own propaganda and fakery.

Load Next Story