Nolan Wells' death raises new questions after data shows no drownings on Horn Island in six years

Wells' family has called for a thorough investigation and has retained civil rights attorney Ben Crump

Photo: Reuters

The circumstances surrounding Nolan Wells' death have come under renewed scrutiny after government data obtained by PEOPLE showed that no drowning deaths had been recorded on Horn Island, Mississippi, in the six years before the 18-year-old was found there.

Wells' body was discovered off the island on July 6, two days after he travelled there with friends for a large Fourth of July party. Authorities initially said they suspected that Wells had drowned and did not see signs of foul play, but his family has continued to question what happened during his final hours.

The new data does not establish how Wells died, nor does it rule out drowning. Horn Island is surrounded by water where conditions can change quickly, with strong currents and areas where the water becomes deep. However, the Jackson County coroner's office told PEOPLE that there had been no recorded drowning deaths at Horn Island during the previous six years. A drowning death investigation did take place during that period at nearby Petit Bois Island.

Wells, who would have turned 19 this week, was attending a crowded Fourth of July gathering on the barrier island when he disappeared. Friends who were with him have said they left the island after their boat experienced problems and that Wells chose to remain behind after meeting a young woman. His parents have disputed that account and questioned why their son would have separated from the group.

According to GPS data previously obtained by PEOPLE, the boat Wells travelled on arrived at Horn Island at about 11:14 a.m. on July 4 and departed at approximately 4:31 p.m. Authorities have said Wells was last seen around 3 p.m., leaving a period of time between his reported last sighting and the boat's departure that remains an important part of the investigation.

Wells' family has also questioned why his phone remained on the boat and has maintained that the circumstances surrounding his disappearance do not fit the account that he intentionally stayed behind. The family has called for a thorough investigation and has retained civil rights attorney Ben Crump.

An independent autopsy commissioned by Wells' family was unable to determine his cause of death or rule out foul play. The examination did not find any severe injuries, although the family's attorneys have continued to argue that unanswered questions warrant further investigation. The official autopsy has been completed, but its findings have not been publicly released.

The case has since attracted wider attention, with members of the Congressional Black Caucus calling for a federal review and the NAACP becoming involved in the family's efforts to seek answers. Jackson County authorities continue to investigate, and the district attorney has said findings will ultimately be presented to a grand jury.

Load Next Story