TODAY’S PAPER | August 19, 2026 | EPAPER

Three years on, Jaranwala victims still await justice

Christian community seeks prosecution of alleged perpetrators, compensation


Khawar Randhawa August 19, 2026 2 min read

FAISALABAD:

Three years after the Jaranwala violence in which churches and Christian homes were attacked following allegations of blasphemy, members of the Christian community have renewed calls for speedy justice and complete rehabilitation of the affected families.

At a protest held in Christian Colony, Jaranwala, to mark the third anniversary of the August 16, 2023 incident, community representatives said many victims were still waiting for justice and full compensation. Some speakers also warned of launching a countrywide protest movement if their grievances were not addressed.

Father Khalid Mukhtar, Lala Robin Daniel, Pastor Mukhtar Siraj, Samson Salamat, Shakeel Bhatti and Pastor Robin, among others, said violence against any community was unacceptable and called for impartial action against those responsible.

A large number of victims and members of the Christian community attended the protest and raised slogans demanding justice.

In a separate statement, Minorities Alliance Pakistan Chairman Akmal Bhatti said the victims were seeking neither special treatment nor concessions but "fair play, equality before law and equal protection of the Constitution".

He urged the federal and Punjab governments, law-enforcement agencies, prosecution authorities and courts to ensure that the Jaranwala cases were investigated and prosecuted impartially and transparently. He also called for the complete rehabilitation of affected families and restoration of damaged places of worship.

The issue was also discussed recently at a meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights, attended by senators, government officials, police and prosecution officers, representatives of victims and the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan.

Victims' representatives told the committee that their grievances had not been fully addressed and that many alleged perpetrators had yet to face justice.

According to officials, around 5,000 people were initially suspected of involvement in the violence, while another 1,200 suspects were identified recently. Officials said around 300 suspects had been arrested, most of whom subsequently secured bail.

Committee Chairperson Senator Samina Mumtaz Zehri expressed concern over delays in compensation and relief despite directions from superior courts and announcements by the federal and provincial governments.

She called for those involved in the violence to be identified and dealt with according to law.

The August 16, 2023 violence erupted after allegations of blasphemy, with mobs attacking Christian settlements in Jaranwala and surrounding villages, damaging churches and homes and looting belongings.

No deaths were reported, but many families were forced to flee and suffered significant material and psychological losses.

The government had announced Rs2 million in financial assistance for affected families.

An official report submitted to the Supreme Court on February 7, stated that 85 of the 146 affected houses had been compensated at that time, leaving questions over the status of assistance to the remaining families.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ