TODAY’S PAPER | February 17, 2026 | EPAPER

New developments in Nancy Guthrie case as FBI combs nearby roads

FBI agents are searching roads near Nancy Guthrie’s Arizona home as detained man says he wants to clear his name


Pop Culture & Art February 13, 2026 2 min read
Nancy Guthrie and Savannah Guthrie. Photo: file

FBI agents are continuing an extensive search near the home of Nancy Guthrie in Tucson, Arizona, as the investigation into the 84 year old’s disappearance enters its eleventh day. Law enforcement officials have been seen combing roads and surrounding desert terrain close to Guthrie’s residence, focusing on areas where potential evidence could have been discarded.

The renewed search activity follows the release of doorbell camera footage taken from Guthrie’s home on the morning she disappeared. The footage shows an armed, masked individual approaching the front door, a development that prompted thousands of new tips from the public. Authorities have confirmed that they are now working through a significant volume of information, with local officials saying they have received more than 18,000 calls related to the case since Guthrie was reported missing on February 1.

Investigators are particularly interested in finding items linked to the individual seen in the video. Agents have been observed scanning the ground along nearby roads, navigating thick desert brush and cactus as they look for objects that could contain DNA or other forensic material. A glove was reportedly recovered not far from Guthrie’s home, although officials have not confirmed whether it is connected to the person captured on camera.

Attention has also turned to a man who was detained for questioning earlier this week and later released without charges. The man, who identified himself publicly as Carlos, spoke to reporters outside his home and said he wants to clear his name. He explained that investigators questioned him for several hours and searched his home and vehicle before allowing him to leave. According to his account, he was told that his eyes and eyelashes appeared similar to those of the person seen in the doorbell footage.

Law enforcement agencies have declined to comment on the man’s statements or confirm specific details about the questioning. Officials have said that the detention was part of routine follow up on incoming leads and stressed that no arrests have been made in the case so far. A search warrant connected to the property linked to the detained man has been sealed, adding to the limited public information available.

Forensic experts have weighed in on the significance of evidence found at Guthrie’s home, including confirmed blood stains on the porch. Analysts say such evidence could help investigators reconstruct what happened and identify footwear impressions or other traces left behind. Specialists have also noted that the behaviour of the masked individual in the video may provide clues about planning, stress and potential mistakes.

Authorities continue to urge anyone with information to come forward as the search expands. While the investigation remains ongoing, officials have said they are exploring multiple persons of interest and following leads as they work to determine what happened to Nancy Guthrie.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ