TODAY’S PAPER | February 19, 2026 | EPAPER

Death toll in Gul Plaza fire jumps to at least 52 as rescue enters fourth day

Over 80 still missing as rescue teams battle smoke and heat days after blaze;


Abbas Naqvi January 21, 2026 8 min read
Rescue workers and heavy machinery continue debris removal at Gul Plaza on M A Jinnah Road following a devastating fire, as authorities fear the death toll may rise further. Photo: PPI

The death toll from the massive fire at Gul Plaza on Karachi's MA Jinnah Road rose to at least 52 on Wednesday as more than 80 people remain missing with rescue teams continuing to search the rubble under hazardous conditions.

Police Surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed confirmed 30 deaths earlier today to The Express Tribune, adding that there was concern it could rise further with the examination of more remains recovered from the rubble underway.

Later in the day, police and rescue agencies recovered more than two dozen additional bodies from the mezzanine floor. South Deputy Inspector General of Police Asad Raza said that the bodies were found in a crockery shop. He said the number of bodies was 30, while Dr Syed stated the number was 22.

CM Murad expresses sorrow as death toll rises

Separately, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah expressed grief over the rising death toll in the Gul Plaza incident. He directed that newly recovered bodies be shifted to hospitals immediately and ordered a temporary halt to debris removal to ensure the safe transfer of bodies.

Expressing sympathy with the bereaved families, the chief minister prayed for the elevation of the ranks of those who lost their lives. He also instructed authorities to provide all possible facilities to affected families, including assistance with the identification and transfer of bodies.

“Human life has no substitute, but we will not leave the affected families alone,” the chief minister said.

Rescue efforts intensify at Gul Plaza

Rescue efforts were further intensified on Wednesday, officials said, as authorities continued operations at the site and began the process of identifying recovered bodies.

Speaking to the media alongside the SSP City, the Deputy Commissioner South Javed Nabi Khoso said all rescue agencies had been fully mobilised and efforts were being accelerated. He added that the identification of bodies recovered from the debris was under way.

The deputy commissioner said that once debris removal is completed, the dilapidated structure could be demolished in line with a report submitted by the Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA).

Rescue teams have also begun search operations on the second floor, third floor, and in the basement of the building.

View of site after fire broken out incident at Gul Plaza shopping mall. Photo: PPI

View of site after fire broken out incident at Gul Plaza shopping mall. Photo: PPI

The Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) remained present around Gul Plaza for the second consecutive day.

Meanwhile, the SSP City said a Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) had inspected the site, adding that a final determination on the rapid spread of the fire would only be possible after the submission of the BDS report.

Due to a large gathering of citizens, shops in the surrounding areas were closed, the SSP said.

Ghulam Mustafa Araeen, in-charge of the Bomb Disposal Squad, said no sampling had been carried out so far. He said the team was monitoring the situation while remaining present around the debris. Araeen added that no institution had so far expressed suspicion of sabotage; however, the reasons behind the fire's rapid spread would be reviewed.

SBCA refutes claims of missing Gul Plaza records

The Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) termed certain media reports regarding Gul Plaza as "completely baseless and contrary to facts", in which it was claimed that records of the building were not available with the authority.

According to a statement from the SBCA spokesperson, the authority possesses all approved records related to Gul Plaza, including maps, complex plans, and construction details, which are preserved and available.

The Gul Plaza building was constructed in the 1980s, while a revised plan was approved in 1998. Later, under the Regularisation Amendment Ordinance 2001, the building was formally regularised in 2003 in accordance with rules and regulations, and the owner obtained a completion certificate on April 14, 2003.

Read: Gul Plaza fire toll rises to 28 as DNA testing begins to identify victims

According to the revised No Objection Certificate for sale and advertisement (KBCA/DA/DCB-1/Revised/98-4/98/08 dated September 21, 1998), approval was granted for 175 shops in the basement, 355 on the ground floor, 188 on the first floor, 193 on the second floor, and 191 on the third floor.

Records show that Gul Plaza was permitted up to three floors, including the basement. The basement was initially designated for parking; however, parking was later shifted to the fourth floor and the roof by the management. Under the original approved plan, a total of 1,102 shops were permitted in the plaza, and the building had six staircases and 16 exit routes leading to the ground floor.

As per SBCA records, the regularisation plan was approved by the body under its authorised powers, with approval number KBCA/DCB(A)/Saddar Town/Reg.Comp/2003/67/28 dated April 14, 2003. Under this approval, the building was sanctioned for a basement, ground floor, and three upper floors (B+G+3). The total number of regularised shops is approximately 1,102.

Karachi commissioner, police chief visit site

Karachi Commissioner Hasan Naqvi visited the site of the deadly incident Karachi Additional Inspector General of Police Azad Khan.

The officials inspected various parts of the affected building and recorded statements from different individuals. They also met affected persons, expressed concern over the tragedy, and took their accounts as part of the ongoing inquiry.

Commissioner Naqvi said the inquiry committee formed by the Sindh chief secretary had also begun its work, adding that it was working to complete the investigation promptly to present the facts to the public. “We are committed to a transparent and impartial inquiry,” he said, adding that statements from shopkeepers, rescue workers, and various agencies were being collected to ensure all facts came to light.

Read more: Death toll in Gul Plaza blaze rises to 26 as rescue work continues

Describing the case as complex with multiple aspects, Naqvi emphasised that no single individual or agency could be held solely responsible. “This is a tragic incident involving loss of life. Our plan for the government will aim to provide long-term solutions,” he said.

The commissioner said that some bodies were recovered in fragments. “The police are conducting DNA-based investigations to ensure transparency,” he added. The commissioner stressed that this was not the time to pass blame.

“Those who lost their lives were aware of the risks. Our report will focus on facts without attributing individual blame”.

He added that the inquiry committee would examine all angles, including potential sabotage. The commissioner noted that after a previous tragic fire incident at RJ Mall, fire safety audits were conducted, but gaps remained. “When incidents occur, awareness is raised, but preventive measures must continue,” he added.

Naqvi also highlighted that collective institutional responsibility was key, not individual accountability, and denied any pressure on the committee. “Those who knowingly take risks bear fundamental responsibility. A detailed inquiry will reveal the full picture,” he said.

Addressing the condition of the building involved, the commissioner stated that 31 bodies have been recovered, some in pieces, though this figure was not yet confirmed. He also said that while Rimpa Plaza suffered some damage, the building was not considered unsafe.

“Preventive measures must be forward-looking,” Naqvi said. “Building maps should be accurate, reconstruction may not be possible, and current fire safety measures do not meet international standards. All findings will be presented to the government”.

The Karachi police chief added that no evidence of sabotage was found so far, and all leads were being examined carefully. "Reports of missing dumper trucks are false," he said, referring to reports of missing trucks that were carrying rubble from the site.

Also read: Gul Plaza fire causes Rs100 billion in losses, 1,000 shops destroyed

Meanwhile, South Deputy Commissioner Javed Nabi Khoso said debris removal would not begin until all missing persons were accounted for. He said rescue and search work was continuing under the supervision of a technical team.

Officials said the number of missing people increased to 86 after the family of a 65-year-old man, Jahangir Shah, registered his details at the missing persons desk. Authorities said some entries were duplicated and were being verified.

Rescue officials said three more bodies were identified from previously unidentifiable remains through DNA testing conducted by the Citizens Police Liaison Committee. The identified victims included a 15-year-old girl and two adult men. Families have started receiving bodies from the morgue.

Rescue teams entered the building nearly 40 hours after the fire erupted late on Saturday night but faced repeated disruptions as flames continued to reignite in different parts of the structure. Officials said lingering smoke and intense heat complicated operations, especially in collapsed sections of the plaza.

Speaking to the media at the site, a DC South official said the intact portion of the building was also being searched and access routes were being created inside the structure. He said the entire plaza would be demolished only after search operations were completed.

Authorities have temporarily sealed the adjacent Rimpa Plaza, pending a report from the SBCA to assess possible risks.

Police are also investigating the disappearance of two dumpers linked to the incident, officials said.

Relatives of missing persons voiced concern over debris removal, saying they feared human remains could be taken away along with the rubble.

HRCP urges effective local governance as solution to issues

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan expressed deep concern over the loss of life and said the incident had "once again exposed chronic and deadly failures in the city's urban governance, building safety and emergency preparedness".

It noted that the cause of the blaze remaining unconfirmed was "deeply troubling", adding that "even more alarming are the systemic lapses that allowed a fire to spread so rapidly and claim so many lives — disproportionately affecting the working class".

The HRCP said that repeated incidents across Karachi showed that building codes remained poorly enforced and rescue services were severely under-resourced.

"In the short term, the Sindh government must ensure an independent investigation to determine accountability and urgently overhaul fire safety standards and emergency response mechanisms. However, the answer lies in effective local governments that would be best positioned to implement the lessons learned from the numerous industrial accidents that have occurred in the city."

 

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ