TODAY’S PAPER | February 19, 2026 | EPAPER

Karachi Gul Plaza blaze still burning as 56 remain missing, death toll rises to six

Help desk established at DC South Office to compile data of missing persons


Web Desk January 18, 2026 10 min read
A view of the damaged Gul Plaza Market building after a fire in Karachi. Photo: X

KARACHI:

Despite the lapse of more than 24 hours, the fire at Gul Plaza shopping mall on MA Jinnah Road in Karachi has yet to be fully extinguished. The blaze has so far claimed six lives, injured more than 30 people, and left 56 others missing.

Chief Fire Officer KMC Humayun Khan said the fire has been brought under control by up to 80 percent, while flames at several points of the building have subsided. Following the development, Fire and Rescue volunteers have begun entering the building to carry out operations.

However, due to the structurally fragile condition of the building, precautionary measures are being strictly observed.

Videos released by Rescue 1122 on Sunday night showed rescue personnel conducting search operations at certain locations inside the building with the help of torches. The search process, however, faced difficulties because of heavy smoke inside the premises.

Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) Additional Director General Farhan Qaiser said once the fire is fully brought under control, the SBCA team will conduct a detailed inspection of the structure, after which a final assessment will be made regarding whether the building is structurally unsafe or not.

Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab also visited the fire-ravaged Gul Plaza, where he was met with protests by citizens who chanted slogans upon his arrival.

Speaking to the media, Wahab said that while some people raised slogans, he understood the public’s pain and distress. He added that he could not give a definite timeframe for when the fire would be fully brought under control or when the cooling process would be completed.

The mayor said efforts were under way to rescue missing persons, adding that, as per information shared by locals, rescue operations were also being conducted from the rear side of the building. He noted that firefighters had been battling the blaze continuously for the past 24 hours.

Wahab said that around 65 people were reported missing, and rescue operations were facing difficulties due to heavy crowds at the site.

Firefighters are continuing efforts to douse the fire, while authorities are compiling data on those who remain untraced. Officials said details of 56 missing individuals have been collected so far in connection with the incident.

The information is being gathered at a help desk set up at the DC South Office, where relatives are reporting missing persons and providing relevant details.

Rescue and investigation operations are ongoing as authorities work to assess the full scale of the tragedy.

The Sindh government has set up a helpline for public assistance. Any information related to the fire or reports of missing persons can be shared with the Deputy Commissioner South at 0313-5048048, 021-99206372 and 021-99205625.

The public has also been advised to provide details of any missing persons related to the incident on the same numbers.

Rescue officials said the deaths were primarily caused by suffocation due to heavy smoke inside the building. More than 30 people were injured, mostly in a stampede that followed the outbreak of the fire. Of the six fatalities, three died of asphyxiation, two were burned to death, while a firefighter lost his life after being trapped under debris.

The deceased were identified as Shahroz, Asif, Faraz and Aamir, while the identities of two others were not yet confirmed.

Sindh CM visits the site

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah also visited the site and expressed regret over his delayed arrival, explaining that he had reached the city at around 5pm. He said the government would make every effort to provide maximum relief to those affected by the incident.

Shah said firefighters from the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) and Rescue 1122 were experienced and fully engaged in the operation. “If further assistance is required, we will not hesitate to seek it. There is no shame in asking for help,” he added.

Providing details of the incident, the chief minister said the building was constructed in the 1980s and that safety systems introduced at the time—or even earlier—had become difficult to manage. Gul Plaza, he noted, is a busy commercial centre, particularly during the ongoing wedding season.

He said around 26 fire tenders, four snorkels and 10 water bowsers took part in the firefighting operation. In addition to KMC resources, the Pakistan Navy provided a snorkel, while three firefighting vehicles were dispatched by the Civil Aviation Authority.

“With deep regret, I must say that according to the information available so far, six people have lost their lives, including a KMC firefighter,” the chief minister said. He added that 22 people were injured and received medical treatment at hospitals before being discharged.

However, Shah said it was extremely concerning that between 58 and 60 people were still missing. “May Allah grant them life,” he said.

He said the structure comprised a basement, ground floor and three upper floors, housing more than 1,000 shops. The exact cause of the fire, he added, could not yet be determined.

Third-degree blaze

The chief fire officer said all shops and warehouses on the ground floor were engulfed in flames. The fire was declared a third-degree blaze, prompting authorities to call fire tenders from across the city. Trapped people were being rescued using snorkels, he said.

Officials said the fire had spread up to the third floor of the shopping plaza, which also has a basement market.

The president of the Gul Plaza Traders Association said between 80 and 100 people were still believed to be inside the building.

Rescue 1122 spokesperson Hassanul Haseeb Khan said reports of a fire near shops at Gul Plaza were received, after which fire and rescue teams, along with ambulances and fire brigade trucks, were dispatched to the scene. “Efforts to control the fire are ongoing,” he said.

Firefighters and rescue workers had so far been unable to enter the building due to the intensity of the fire, according to our correspondent. He added that parts of the structure, including pillars, had started collapsing.

The Water Board said the fire brigade and Rescue 1122 sought immediate assistance, after which an emergency was imposed at the NIPA and Safoora hydrants on the instructions of CEO Ahmed Ali Siddiqui. Water tankers were rushed to the site, and hydrants cell in charge, Mohammad Siddique Tanio, remained in constant contact with rescue officials.

The board’s spokesperson said the CEO focal person for the hydrants cell, Shehbaz Bashir, was personally supervising the operation, ensuring an uninterrupted water supply to firefighters. Water tankers would continue operating until the fire was fully extinguished, he said.

'Circuit breaker likely cause'

Inspector General of Police Sindh, Javed Alam Odho, visited the site of the massive fire at Gul Plaza and received a detailed briefing from police, rescue and fire brigade officials. The SSP City briefed the IGP on joint measures taken to extinguish the fire and carry out rescue operations.

Reviewing the coordinated response by police and rescue agencies, the IGP directed that rescue efforts be made more effective and accelerated to prevent further losses.

He said police and rescue teams were jointly engaged in relief activities and that operations would continue until the area was declared completely safe.

The IGP said the preliminary cause of the fire appeared to be a faulty circuit breaker, though the final cause would be determined after completion of cooling operations and a technical assessment.

He said that upon receiving information about the incident, the concerned deputy commissioner and SSP City immediately reached the site and have been supervising rescue and firefighting operations since the night.

The IGP said security in the area had been further tightened and precautionary measures adopted to ensure rescue operations were not hindered.

Five civilians lost their lives in the incident, while one firefighter was martyred during rescue efforts. Paying tribute to the fallen firefighter, the IGP said the officer sacrificed his life to save others, calling it a great act of bravery. He saluted all firefighters for their courage and dedication.

The IGP added that a formal inquiry would be launched after the fire was fully extinguished and cooling was completed, to help prevent similar incidents in the future.

President, PM grieve over Karachi fire

President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif have expressed profound grief over the tragic fire incident in Karachi.

In their separate statements, they extended their condolences over the loss of precious lives and conveyed heartfelt sympathy to the families of the victims.

The President and Prime Minister directed the Sindh government and authorities concerned to provide immediate and comprehensive assistance to the affected individuals and traders.

They emphasized that every effort should be made to ensure the injured receive the best possible medical care.

Governor, chief secretary visit site

Sindh Governor Kamran Khan Tessori visited the site, met affected traders and reviewed the rescue and relief operations. He issued immediate instructions regarding the assessment of losses and rehabilitation measures.

Sindh Chief Secretary Asif Haider Shah visited the site and inspected the ongoing rescue operation. He was briefed by the Deputy Commissioner South and Rescue 1122 officials on measures being taken to control the blaze.

The chief secretary directed authorities to further accelerate rescue efforts and ordered the deployment of all available fire tenders along with additional rescue personnel.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Peoples Party Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and heavy financial damage caused by the fire. He offered condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery for the injured.

He directed the Sindh chief minister and Karachi mayor to use all available resources for firefighting and rescue operations and ordered a transparent investigation to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar directed authorities to take immediate rescue measures and create alternative traffic routes to ensure safe access. He ordered an investigation to determine the cause of the fire and instructed officials to secure the building, prevent the fire from spreading further and clear access routes for fire brigade vehicles.

Sindh Rangers also joined the rescue operation on the special instructions of the director general of Rangers Sindh, deploying teams to assist in relief efforts, a spokesperson said.

Federal Health Minister Mustafa Kamal said the federal government was ready to provide all possible assistance to the Sindh government.

He directed hospitals to ensure prompt and quality medical care for the injured and said rescuing trapped people and controlling the fire were top priorities.

Sindh Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon expressed deep sorrow over what he termed a tragic incident. He said government machinery had been present at the site since the night and all available resources were being utilised to control the fire.

Memon said 40 snorkel vehicles were participating in the operation, adding that the fire had largely been brought under control and cooling operations were underway. He said the government would not be satisfied until the cooling process was completed 100 per cent.

He said a full inquiry was underway to determine the cause of the fire and a fact-finding report would be prepared to guide future action. Fire brigade teams, snorkels and rescue agencies reached the site immediately after the incident and used modern equipment, including high-reach snorkels, foam and cooling systems.

He said all relevant departments were continuously monitoring the situation, and after a full assessment of losses, the government would decide on further steps. He added that the government would extend cooperation to traders and other affected people within the framework of law and regulations.

“At present, the government’s top priority is rescue work, completion of the cooling process and protection of human lives,” he said.

Karachi Mayor Barrister Murtaza Wahab also expressed grief over the casualties, saying fire brigade and rescue teams were present at the site and operations were ongoing. He placed all departments of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation on alert to ensure immediate assistance to those affected.

On the mayor’s instructions, KMC heavy machinery reached the site under the supervision of Municipal Commissioner Syed Muhammad Afzal Zaidi. KMC officials said rescue operations were being directly monitored and more machinery had been kept on standby if required.

Sindh Assembly Speaker Syed Awais Qadir Shah and opposition leader Ali Khurshidi also expressed condolences, calling the incident a tragedy and urging faster rescue efforts, effective fire prevention measures and full support for victims and their families.

COMMENTS (2)

Responsible Citizen | 1 month ago | Reply How can government allow shopping centers to run without proper fire exit plan This shows sheer negligence of government.
Munir Ahmad | 1 month ago | Reply Shah Mir Khan the reporter forgot to mention names of Asif Zardari Asifa Bhukhtawar s names who expressed their sympathies
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ