Russia batters Kyiv in overnight strikes, hits EU mission, British Council offices

Moscow fired nearly 600 drones, 31 missiles, including nine ballistic missiles


Reuters/Web Desk August 29, 2025 2 min read
The assault marked the first major combined attack on Kyiv in weeks. [Reuters] In Pictures Features | Russia-Ukraine war Several killed, dozens wounded in Russian attack on Ukrainian capital Explosions and smoke fill Kyiv’s predawn skies as Russia targets residential buildings with drones and missiles. Deadly Russian drone strike targets Ukrainian capital amid peace talks The attack was the first major combined Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv since US President Donald Trump met Russian leader Vladimir Putin in Alaska earlier this month to discuss ending the war in Ukraine. [Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters] Published On 28 Aug 2025 28 Aug 2025 Click here to share on social media Russia has launched a drone and missile attack on Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, including a rare hit on the city centre, killing at least 15 people and wounding dozens of others, authorities said. Powerful explosions illuminated the predawn sky on Thursday, leaving columns of smoke as Russian projectiles damaged buildings across multiple districts in the Ukrainian capital. The assault marked the first major combined attack on Kyiv in weeks, occurring as United States-led peace initiatives struggle to gain momentum in the three-year conflict. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said at least 15 people were killed in the assault. Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said two children were among those killed, citing preliminary information. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko characterised it as a “massive attack” causing widespread damage. He said at least 38 people were wounded, including 30 who were admitted to hospital. Tymur Tkachenko, head of the city’s military administration, reported that Moscow launched ballistic and cruise missiles along with Iranian-designed Shahed drones from multiple directions to “systematically” target residential buildings. Red tracer rounds streaked through the night sky as defenders attempted to intercept drones above the city centre, with at least one missile appearing to be shot down. Approximately 100 residents sought shelter in a subway station, some in sleeping bags or holding pets. A five-storey building collapsed in the Darnytskyi district, while a shopping mall in the city centre was struck, Klitschko stated. Advertisement Ukrainian officials also reported a Russian strike in the Zaporizhia region on Thursday. Sign up for Al Jazeera Breaking News Alert Get real-time breaking news alerts and stay up-to-date with the most important headlines from around the globe. E-mail address Subscribe By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy protected by reCAPTCHA Russian authorities claimed they destroyed more than 100 Ukrainian drones overnight, while an attack reportedly caused a fire at an oil refinery in the Krasnodar region without casualties. Russian forces have been making slow but steady territorial gains in recent months as diplomatic efforts have intensified. Trump recently held high-profile meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska, and later with Zelenskyy, as well as European allies. However, diplomatic progress remains limited. Ukraine seeks Western security guarantees against future Russian attacks before finalising any peace agreement. Moscow has dismissed Kyiv’s demands as unrealistic, particularly opposing Western peacekeeping forces in Ukraine. Zelenskyy announced on Wednesday that Ukrainian officials would meet their US counterparts in New York on Friday. The Ukrainian leader noted “very arrogant and negative signals from Moscow regarding the negotiations”, calling for additional “pressure” to “force Russia to take real steps”. Deadly Russian drone strike targets Ukrainian capital amid peace talks The assault marked the first major combined attack on Kyiv in weeks. [Reuters]

Russia launched one of its heaviest barrages of missiles and drones on Ukraine’s capital overnight Thursday, killing at least 23 people, including four children, and damaging the European Union’s mission and the British Council offices in Kyiv.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko confirmed a five-storey residential block was destroyed while several other buildings were severely damaged, describing it as one of the biggest assaults in recent months. Thirty-eight people were injured in the hours-long attack, which struck 13 locations across the country.

The attack was the first major combined Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv since US President Donald Trump met Russian leader Vladimir Putin in Alaska earlier this month to discuss ending the war in Ukraine. [Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters]

The attack was the first major combined Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv since US President Donald Trump met Russian leader Vladimir Putin in Alaska earlier this month to discuss ending the war in Ukraine. [Reuters]

Ukraine’s air force said Moscow fired nearly 600 drones and 31 missiles, including nine ballistic missiles, in the overnight barrage. Air defences intercepted 563 drones and 26 missiles, though 13 targets suffered direct hits. Energy facilities were also damaged, causing power outages in central regions including Vinnytsia, where 60,000 residents lost electricity after a strike on critical infrastructure. National grid operator Ukrenergo confirmed energy facilities were among the targets.

Read: Zelensky calls for talks as peace efforts stall

“Everything is destroyed,” said Tymur Tkachenko, the head of Kyiv's city administration. [Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters]

“Everything is destroyed,” said Tymur Tkachenko, the head of Kyiv's city administration. [Reuters]

Klitschko declared Friday a day of mourning in the capital. “Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table,”

UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy also summoned Moscow’s ambassador in London, condemning the “killing and destruction.”

The EU’s foreign affairs chief Kaja Kallas summoned the Russian envoy in Brussels after the bloc’s delegation building was damaged. “No diplomatic mission should ever be a target,” she said.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen vowed more pressure on Moscow, saying the bloc would soon unveil a 19th package of sanctions and was advancing work on how to use frozen Russian assets to help Ukraine. “This is another grim reminder of what is at stake,” she said. “Europe will fully play its part.”

Read More: Russia claims more Ukraine land

[Reuters]

[Reuters]

Russia’s defence ministry claimed it targeted military-industrial sites and air bases, while Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the “special military operation” would continue, insisting Ukraine has also attacked Russian infrastructure.

Ukrainian officials have warned that Russia would step up strikes on the country’s energy grid as winter approaches.

Russia has stepped up its air assaults on towns and cities far behind the front line, while pressing a grinding offensive in the east. Moscow has repeatedly denied striking civilians, though thousands have been killed since the February 2022 invasion.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ