3 sanitation workers die of gas inhalation

Nafasat Hasnain June 13, 2024
Sanitation workers. PHOTO: EXPRESS/FILE



Four sanitation workers were rendered unconscious by toxic gas inhalation and fell into a sewer during cleaning operations in Bhalwal. Tragically, three of them died, and one is in critical condition.
Police sources reported that four workers from the Municipal Committee Bhalwal—Ratna Masih, Babar Masih, Irfan Masih, and Naeem — were cleaning the sewer disposal system in Satellite Town, Bhalwal, when they were overcome by toxic gas.
Rescue 1122 responded, pulling the unconscious workers from the sewer and transporting them to the Tehsil Headquarters Hospital in Bhalwal. Despite receiving immediate medical attention, Ratna, Babar, and Irfan succumbed to their injuries.
Naeem, in critical condition, was transferred to Allied Hospital Faisalabad.
Following the incident, sanitation workers staged a protest outside the Municipal Committee office, demanding action against those responsible. Protesters claimed that no protective gear was provided, leading to the fatal accident.
Former Minority Member of the Municipal Committee, Sikandar Farman, lamented the lack of safety equipment and called on the Chief Minister of Punjab to ensure a thorough investigation and accountability.
Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz directed immediate action.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ