My passion for cricket has faded: Inzamam

Published: September 6, 2011
'I’m not the kind of person who loves to criticise the Pakistan Cricket Board or any other individual in the media'

LAHORE: Former Pakistan captain Inzamamul Haq has lost interest for the game he once ruled in, admitting that he is not an ardent follower of the sport anymore.

Inzamam, who retired in 2007, is an integral part of Pakistan’s cricket history, being the second-highest run-scorer in Tests for the country. But now one rarely finds the former batsman giving his views on cricketing matters and the performance of the national team.

“I’m not the kind of person who loves to criticise the Pakistan Cricket Board or any other individual in the media,” Inzamam told The Express Tribune. “I’m retired now and busy managing my construction business so I don’t normally follow cricket anymore. My passion for the game has faded to some extent.”

Inzamam also admitted that he does not enjoy following the national team’s progress.

“If Pakistan is playing Zimbabwe nowadays, what interest can I have in following the team’s fortunes?” questioned Inzamam. “I don’t know much about the Zimbabwe team, plus we have so many new faces whom I don’t know that I don’t see any point in commenting upon their performances.”

One finds several former Pakistan players who retired during the last decade still attached to the game in some form or the other. However, Inzamam feels no desire to be part of the sport in any capacity.

“I’m least interested in finding any role in cricket at any level. I have already served Pakistan cricket a lot. This does not mean I have entirely ruled out any future association with cricket but right now due to my personal circumstances I’m not looking for any cricket-related role.”

Published in The Express Tribune, September 7th,  2011.

• Sharjeel Malik
    Sep 7, 2011 - 3:44AM

All the best to Inzamam and his family in their future life. He was a brilliant batsman. I still remember that game changing innings he played against NZ in the 1992 World Cup semi-final.

• MJK
    Sep 7, 2011 - 8:31AM

His interest had faded long before he retired from cricket. Good riddance.

• Asif
    Sep 7, 2011 - 9:05AM

Inzi you are expereinced and you must be a coach for our Country’s cricket.Recommend

• gr0w up!
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:23AM

awww sooooooo shweeet we still miss him :)

• RizwanTKhan
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:50AM

Sensible move.

• ASIF SUFI
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:53AM

Typical Inzi..he was a fabulous batsman,outstanding at crafting innings…his place will never be filled up…all the best to him…

• Sane
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:58AM

Any wonder that the ‘legend’ has devoted all his attention to his construction business like he says in the interview? Why did he pursue cricket as profession? It was a profitable business. One must also pat him for being frank about who gives a damn about Pakistan+Zimbabwe game? Why would he take interest in the new faces featuring in the Pakistani team?

You’re a legend of frank discussion, the born-again former cricketer-turned businessman.

• Rehan Aqib
    Sep 7, 2011 - 11:32AM

Best of luck for inzimam…When he is at the pitch, we still hope that he might changes things towards Pakistan. Now a days, no Pakistani batsman is capable to doing that..

• CB Guy
    Sep 7, 2011 - 11:37AM

I guess the state of affairs of Pakistan cricket has left us all in a bit of disgust.Recommend

• malik
    Sep 7, 2011 - 1:38PM

A complete team man, he stands out as one the best in the game. Best of luck Inzi.

• Ahmed
    Sep 7, 2011 - 2:03PM

He is not the only one whoes passion for cricket has faded. After seeing Misbah’s “remarkable” self-serving and pointless innings in the world cup semi-final, I question myself if these players are conrcerned about winning at all.

• Sep 7, 2011 - 3:18PM

He understands that behind the hype it’s just all business. Glad to see he has moved on to other things in life.

• Pardesi Insaan
    Sep 7, 2011 - 5:11PM

Cricket is a sport & he thought it is a good place to practice religion. I am glad to see him go and do better things. Please do not wish to associate your self with Pakistan Cricket because we want to know Cricket as a sport, we all love to play and enjoy watching, and not some place you can come and do religious preaching.

• Mudassar.R
    Sep 7, 2011 - 8:21PM

we love you inzi….you are a great cricketer and a great man…love your comments

• Bangash
    Sep 7, 2011 - 8:25PM

His passion for cricket has been replaced with food.

• zubair Ahmed
    Sep 7, 2011 - 8:29PM

I appreciate his move.

• Blithe
    Sep 7, 2011 - 8:29PM

One thing could about Inzamam was
    that he hardly ever publicly criticized
    his team mates.

Afridi is the exact opposite.
    He is very happy offloading the blame
    on team players.
    Sadly , he knows nothing about coaching
    for confidence.

• Sep 7, 2011 - 9:03PM

AOA,
    thats true speaking by inzamam that is the real sportsmanship. mostly people critisize on others but inzamam is a pious personality and he is truely sayind.

best of luck inzmam ul haq sb for ur business , ameeeen

awais ali
    0301 70 33 700

• adnan afsar
    Sep 7, 2011 - 9:59PM

plz quit drama inzi, what u did in 2007 world cup. hahahhahahahhahah

• FF
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:34PM

Fantastic batsman, a religious scholar, a gentleman. I’ll never forget his bat thumping ordeal in Canada. There is no shame in disassociating oneself from the game. Much like Oliver Kahn who never enjoyed a day between the posts, perhaps Inzi didn’t really enjoy his time between the wickets as much as we did. Hope life brings him happiness. God knows he brought that to our lives.

• RUKHBAN
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:44PM

SALLAM!!
    ALL the best to him but his name will always remember as legend is PAK cricket history!! .we want his some role in PAK cricket in future !! REGARDS

• Guybrush Threepwood
    Sep 7, 2011 - 10:53PM

And I have lost interest in peanuts

• Salman
    Sep 7, 2011 - 11:05PM

Laziness!! :)

• jernal singh
    Sep 8, 2011 - 12:16AM

whats there to follow in pak ricket,all who played with him have retired now.