Kite flying accidents leave two dead

Police registers cases against kite flyers after deaths

Imran Sharif February 20, 2024


A child and a man were killed, while two other children were electrocuted due to kite flying in Daska.

In Jaisarwala, 10-year-old Abdul Hadi fell from the rooftop into the courtyard of his home while flying a kite. He was shifted to the Civil Hospital, where he died of excessive bleeding.

In another incident in Dhadubasra, a man was electrocuted while trying to save his two young cousins trying to take away a stray kite stuck on an electric main line.

After the kite got stuck on the line passing through the street, two young brothers used a wiper to free it, nine-year-old Abdul Rehman got electrocuted. His 11-year-old brother Abdul Hadi tried to pull him away but he also got electrocuted.

Kite string snuffs out another life

Hearing the screams of the two children, their cousin Muneeb, 20, who was washing his motorcycle in the street, rushed to the roof and pushed them. However, as his clothes were wet, he also sufeferd electric shock.

The three were shifted to the Civil Hospital, where Muneeb passed away. Both the children were admitted to the hospital in critical condition.

The police registered cases against kite flyers after the deaths.

According to local residents, electric supply officials did not reach the site of the fatal accident.

There are a number of streets in the city where high voltage wires pass in front of the houses, but no safety arrangements have been made.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 20th 2024.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ