Rescue officials have found the bodies of 14 more victims of last week’s flash flood in the Kohistan district, but said nine others are still missing.
The fatality count from the disaster has now risen to 55, following the discovery of more bodies. Nine people however are still missing, police and rescue officials told The Express Tribune.
Officials said that on the night of August 24, flood waters swept away 40 houses or almost the entire population in Gabryal union council which comprises the three villages of Siglo, Rishaow and Bari.
The bodies of 41 victims were recovered on August 26, but most of them were mutilated were not easily identifiable.
The three villages had around 100 to 120 houses, 40 of which were completely washed away. Over 200 animals were also killed.
A resident of Siglo village, Jalal Khan, told the media that there was drizzle in the area which was soon followed by thunder, lightning and strong tremor after which floodwater and heavy stones barged into the village. He said that lightning might have melted a small glacier on the top of the hill which caused the flood.
Two military helicopters took part in the relief and rescue activities while the district administration in Kohistan and some non-governmental organisations dispatched medical teams to the affected area. The rescue teams also brought food, kitchen utensils and 150 blankets.
An official of the provincial disaster management authority, Adnan Khan, told The Express Tribune that 8,400 kilogrammes of food items comprising wheat flour, rice and sugar and 15 full size tents have been distributed among the villagers. Three truck-loads of food rations have also reached Kohistan.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 30th, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ